U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 06:11 AM

147 posts, read 491,232 times

Advertisements

Hi -

I just got laid off my job and am wondering about this New York State unemployment.

If I get a part time job (the only kinds that seem available now!) will I stop getting my unemployment altogether - even though I wont make as much with a PT job as I do on unemployment?

If the state doesnt make up the difference, I cant give up my unemployment to work PT - it wouldnt pay the bills...

Last edited by v3ronika; 09-06-2008 at 06:34 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2008, 11:35 AM

30 posts, read 286,453 times
It has been 3-4 years since I collected unemployment when the place I was working at closed.... So the answer may have changed, but knowing NY it hasn't LOL...

To answer your question about a part time job... Yes and no... They have a rate they use if you work 1 day you receive something like 75% of your benefits 2 days 50% 3 days 25% 4 or more a big fat zero...

Have you filed for benefits yet? If you haven't you better get cracking on it because it general takes 3 weeks after filing to get a check... Err... They use a card now... They load your money onto a prepaid type of credit card... That's what they did for my friend last winter when he was unemployed, but it still took about 3 weeks for him to get money.

When I was unemployed 3-4 years ago I didn't know it took so long to get your benefits and told the lady I talked with on the phone I didn't know they held back any benefits, said I have been unemployed for 2 weeks and asked if I could get a week or two credited to whatever reason it takes 3 weeks to get your money. She did and I got a check that Wed. At the same time my friend who worked at the same place told the lady he talked with what I did and asked if he could the same deal and she told him absolutely not, so I guess it depends on who you talk to.

Old 09-06-2008, 11:44 AM

30 posts, read 286,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by v3ronika View Post
If the state doesnt make up the difference, I cant give up my unemployment to work PT - it wouldnt pay the bills...

What do you mean "make up t difference"??? If you think you are gonna work part time and the state is going to make up the difference of what you would make at the job you got laid off at the answer is no.

As I stated in my post above if you work part time it is only going to decrease your benefits... You are only going to get a fraction of what you get on unemployment as you got when working... It would be nice but unemployment does not pay you the difference of what a part time job pays you to make up for what you where making before you got laid off....

Now for the sad part.... I don't know how much you pulled in at your last job but the maximum unemployment pays is like for or five hundred bucks a week and it only goes down from there!

Old 09-06-2008, 12:56 PM

I'm getting my unemployment now, and yeah, its not much but I dont have a lot of expenses (very cheap rent w everything included thankfully!) They also do direct deposit now so its not such a long wait.

As for "make up the difference" - I guess I said that wrong. But I'm not sure if what you said about the percentages is true anymore. The reason I think that is because when I first filed, I filed the first week I was laid off. Since my last day was a tuessday I told them I had worked 2 days out of the week - and they gave me nothing. ??

I'm scared to call DOL because they take your SSN everytime you call them and I dont want them to think I'm turning down PT jobs or anything and cancel my benefits. I'll look again at their webpage and try and find something about these percentages. I would think they'd want to encourage you to work, no matter how little and not make it so that you had to choose between unemployment and PT work while waiting for another FT job.

Old 09-29-2008, 06:32 AM

7,507 posts, read 17,506,618 times
I have collected Unemployment benefits a few times from being laid off. I also collected State Disability benefits from two motorcycle accidents years ago. At one time, I was single, getting $150 per week and b/c my expenses were low and I rode a motorcycle all the time, I could look for a new job and still live off of that money. I have NEVER had a problem (guilt feelings) about filing a Claim for Unemployment compensation or Disability compensation....if I needed to. That is what companies have that money there for!!

Old 09-29-2008, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
I have collected Unemployment benefits a few times from being laid off. I also collected State Disability benefits from two motorcycle accidents years ago. At one time, I was single, getting $150 per week and b/c my expenses were low and I rode a motorcycle all the time, I could look for a new job and still live off of that money. I have NEVER had a problem (guilt feelings) about filing a Claim for Unemployment compensation or Disability compensation....if I needed to. That is what companies have that money there for!!
Oh, I dont have guilt feelings thats for sure! Ive worked a long time and paid a lot of taxes for this safety net!

Old 10-30-2008, 02:22 PM

19 posts, read 56,478 times
Default Get Cracking

I'm on it right now. I think they do give you partial benefits if you have a part-time job, but I'm not sure. It depends how much money you make off of it.

If you haven't signed up for it yet, DO IT NOW. It took me 3 weeks to see any money.

Old 11-01-2008, 07:47 AM

26 posts, read 101,460 times
[i just got laid off my full time job on long island, i have a part time job which only pays 7.60 an hr. if i quit the part time job will that affect my unemployment that I will recieve from the full time job, because if I keep the full time job i being make less money if I did not work at all please help anyone with the answer.

Old 11-01-2008, 09:29 PM

12,120 posts, read 29,975,430 times
Default I was on UI last from 1986-7

from what i remembered I think if you were on UI for a ft job and you got a part time job, they deducted the amount you got from the pt job from your benefit amount you got from the ft job

i think once you get UI they can't take it away from you

i dropped out of college briefly and worked ft from 4/86-10/86, was found eligible for ui, collected ui from 10/86-12/86; re-enrolled in college, got my degree in 5/87; collected the rest of the ui from 5/87-9/87, then got a ft job

Old 11-02-2008, 05:42 AM

26 posts, read 101,460 times
I got laid off my full time job on Friday 10-31-08, i have not applied for ui yet because I have to wait until Monday, I had a part time job too, but I quit on Sat, because it will interfere on looking for full time work. when I apply for ui insurance from the full time job will i get in trouble for quiting the part time job. and will these interfere on getting ui benefits. please help I so confused and depressed about this lay off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York