Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 11:17 AM

1,199 posts, read 2,869,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Didn't Buff's population decrease a ton in a recent years? From what I've read, all the manufacturing jobs left. There's not much there other than U of Buff and Canada.
It did lose a lot of population from the 1950's-until the 2000's. However, the Buffalo metro actually increased last year by a few thousands, so it has stabilized. The area is starting to look better too, it has a long way to go but is headed in the right direction.

Yes, there is more than just UB and Canada there, typical ignorant, arrogant Long Islander

I know many Long Islanders just love to put down Buffalo every chance they get! They did it when I went to UB and they do it now living on Long Island.

I'm actually moving to a pleasant Buffalo suburb that actually has higher ranked schools than the Nassau County district I live in now. Can't wait to leave Nassau County soon enough! 15 years of this congested, crowded, nasty misery has been more than enough! (and yes I won't let the door hit me on the way out)

I Will miss the proximity to world-class attractions in Manhattan and Brooklyn, but not Long Island. It is so boring, conformist and expensive; aside from parts of the North Shore and East end, is ugly as heck too! Mid-Island and South shore Nassau and Suffolk are the absolute pits!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2014, 01:51 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,403,541 times
I rent for $650 in Buffalo and have a very high quality of life. You would have to pay me to move south.

Old 04-12-2014, 04:12 PM

178 posts, read 281,993 times
They move to 3 metro areas, Atlanta GA area, Research Triangle, And Hampton Roads VA!

Old 04-15-2014, 08:54 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,403,541 times
The students from NYC tend to just stay upstate in Buffalo or Rochester. Buffalo has received a net inflow of residents in the last couple of years.

Old 04-15-2014, 10:55 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,345,683 times
New York State.

Old 04-23-2014, 08:01 PM

597 posts, read 1,442,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC1024 View Post
A decade ago, Florida was the answer, hands down. That's not so true anymore, however. Florida has become overpopulated and overdeloped, and although the cost of living there isn't as high as NY, it's not the bargain it once was.

It's safe to say now that either Georgia or North Carolina is the new Florida.
Well I beg to differ. I am from Florida and our state is infested with NYers, NJ,CT, PA, Ohio, MD, etc. But the majority of the buyers building in Florida are from NY and NJ.

No one in Florida would care except they wear their politics on their sleeve and have goals of changing politics in Florida to match the lovely places they came from.

Old 04-23-2014, 10:28 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,812,712 times
Buffalo is very doable

Old 04-23-2014, 11:31 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,242,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCTravlr View Post
If you're looking for nature but don't want to stray too far away from the occasional city life, then move upstate!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC1024 View Post
That's true. You need not even go that far "upstate"; there's plenty of nature in northern Westchester, within 50 miles of the city.
This is true, few states have as much parkland as New York. Even New York City has more parkland then most cities, especially in the Bronx, Queens and Staten Island.

Old 04-24-2014, 06:34 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,981,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubcap_halo View Post
I love New Yorkers!

But I can't take the high cost and lack of nature.

I'm an ad writer. Where should I go for funkiness on a budget? I mean a real budget like I want a $650 1 br.

Louisville KY?
Asheville NC
Pittsburgh Penn
Providence?
Some towns in Upstate NY?
Anywhere in New England?

Where are expat New Yorkers going?
Perfect Website For You : Find Your Spot.com It's won't let me hyper-link it but trust me it's a blast, kind of like an educated throwing a dart at a map adventure.

Have fun!

Old 04-24-2014, 07:59 AM

93,242 posts, read 123,876,708 times
I think that small towns outside of the bigger Upstate cities may work too. That way to may be able to have a reasonable commute and live in an environment that you want. Even some smaller satellite cities and even villages have a market with urban living options and apartments, while being very close to nature. So, that may be something to consider as well. For instance, say the OP got a job at Eric Mower in Syracuse: Careers | Eric Mower + Associates and he wanted to live close nature, perhaps he could get a place in say Tully like this: Belmont Ridge Apartments for Rent - Tully, NY Apartments | Apartment Finder

This could also allow for a relatively short drive to Ithaca/the Finger Lakes, plenty of parks, ski areas, other lakes, etc. I believe that there is even a CENTRO Park-N-Ride into and out of Syracuse too. http://www.centro.org/2011%20New%20Fare%20Zones.pdf

An apartment like this may work as well given its access to a nice park and a walkable village: Braeside | Dawn Homes Realty Investor

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 04-24-2014 at 08:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York