Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 09:08 PM

13 posts, read 21,534 times

Advertisements

Upstate NY is a big drawn out utopia that you never find.
You could find yourself unemployed like I am, just to pay cheap rent. (Well I have work but it's not in my field)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2014, 09:35 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,233,451 times
We moved to Ohio. We love it. The weather is more temperate that most of upstate NY. Politics are moderate. Schools are very good.

Ohio is home to some of the countries best universities and colleges - Oberlin, Case Western Reserve, Ohio State University, Kenyon College, Ohio Wesleyan University, College of Wooster, Miami University, and Hiram College.

There are many others. All of the schools that I listed are in the "most competitive" to "highly competitive" range, according to the Barron's Book.

People tend to be smart and friendly.

I could never live in the south. They do not like New Yorkers. I do not buy i to their revisionist history. There was no "war of Northern Aggression".
There was slavery and the Civil War.

There are beautiful homes in North Eastern Ohio. My favorites are the 1920s houses. You can find a Garden City type Tudor or Federalist Colonial for under $200,000. Way under.

We prefer craftsman style homes. We have an expansive and sprawling 1900 square foot home with ten rooms and 1/3 of an acre.

We are near Cleveland, which we have grow to love. Museums abound. Restaurants are superb. I wish that I moved her 20 years ago.

The mid west is a great place to call home. No Bible Belt mentality. Welcoming people who do not hate NYers. Actually, they like us.

I love New England, but many places are either too cold or as expensive as NY.

My area was settled by people from Connecticut. It has a New England look. We like that. Just like the North Shore of Long Island. With out taxes of $20,000 per year.

Yup. I am happy.

Old 09-20-2014, 09:31 AM

2,744 posts, read 4,233,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
We moved to Ohio. We love it. The weather is more temperate that most of upstate NY. Politics are moderate. Schools are very good.

Ohio is home to some of the countries best universities and colleges - Oberlin, Case Western Reserve, Ohio State University, Kenyon College, Ohio Wesleyan University, College of Wooster, Miami University, and Hiram College.

There are many others. All of the schools that I listed are in the "most competitive" to "highly competitive" range, according to the Barron's Book.

People tend to be smart and friendly.

I could never live in the south. They do not like New Yorkers. I do not buy i to their revisionist history. There was no "war of Northern Aggression".
There was slavery and the Civil War.

There are beautiful homes in North Eastern Ohio. My favorites are the 1920s houses. You can find a Garden City type Tudor or Federalist Colonial for under $200,000. Way under.

We prefer craftsman style homes. We have an expansive and sprawling 1900 square foot home with ten rooms and 1/3 of an acre.

We are near Cleveland, which we have grow to love. Museums abound. Restaurants are superb. I wish that I moved her 20 years ago.

The mid west is a great place to call home. No Bible Belt mentality. Welcoming people who do not hate NYers. Actually, they like us.

I love New England, but many places are either too cold or as expensive as NY.

My area was settled by people from Connecticut. It has a New England look. We like that. Just like the North Shore of Long Island. With out taxes of $20,000 per year.

Yup. I am happy.

Forgot to add the presence of the world class Cleveland Clinic, and access to superb health care.

There is no hatred of New Yorkers here. None. In fact, Ohioans are comfortable with the fact that New York is the largest city to them, and visit frequently for cultural events. They might go there as often as many Long Islanders. Not kidding.

Old 09-20-2014, 08:23 PM

93,275 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
Forgot to add the presence of the world class Cleveland Clinic, and access to superb health care.

There is no hatred of New Yorkers here. None. In fact, Ohioans are comfortable with the fact that New York is the largest city to them, and visit frequently for cultural events. They might go there as often as many Long Islanders. Not kidding.
I would think that many would go to the Detroit or Chicago areas for events. especially those in NW Ohio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York