U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2008, 07:53 AM

1 posts, read 5,142 times

Advertisements

To anyone living in either Corning or Elmira NY:

My Husband and I are from MD and are thinking of moving to Elmira or Corning NY. We saw two houses in those areas, and haven't decided exactly which of the two to buy. We haven't actually visited either of those, but from the stats and real estate pics, they both look really nice. We are new at this, and this is going to be our first home, and we would like to stay here to also raise our family, when we do decide to. So any info from the locals would be greatly appreaciated. The counties are: Chemung County and Steuben County.

Thanks In Advance
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2008, 07:58 AM

862 posts, read 947,861 times
Corning is a much nicer town than Elmira.

Old 09-19-2008, 12:42 PM

9,092 posts, read 18,138,648 times
I definitely prefer corning as well - has a fairly nice feel to it - i think both areas will have the same general cons, but corning has a few plusses in my mind and anything you would want in elmira would still be very close

Old 09-19-2008, 01:22 PM

76,309 posts, read 104,130,499 times
Also, don't forget about Horseheads and Elmira Heights, two suburbs north of the city of Elmira. Both are nice areas and the Mall is close by in Big Flats. You can also try Southport and West Elmira too.

Old 12-01-2008, 08:48 AM

4 posts, read 17,532 times
Corning is by far a much nicer place to live than Elmira or any of it's suburbs. corning is quaint without being dated. It reminds me of such towns as Chatam on Cape Cod and Skaneateles in NY on the lake of the same name. Brick and treelined main street with charming shoppes, pubs, galleries, restuarants. A Wegmans - nice one, and free bus shuttle in summer for museums. It also is a host city to a international publically traded Fortune 500 company, Corning Inc (GLW). There are 2 highschools wthin the system which gives a nice, gentle, rivalry in town. Still many small businesses where kids can get jobs and learn work ethic. The international reknown museum of glass brings in travelers from all over the world in droves. Also I personally set up a program last year which brings Eastern Europeans to corning to live and work at the museum each year becuase I believed in the town so much.

As for Elmira, all I know is the jail, the crime and the over croweded schools with terrible marks.

Last edited by bellafinzi; 12-01-2008 at 03:55 PM.. Reason: fixed spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York