Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2008, 01:37 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,561,071 times

Advertisements

I am interested in visiting the southern tier counties in NY. I would like a little background before I visit. What are the primary economic issues facing these counties? Do these areas have more of an Appalachian culture or Northeast culture? Is this part of NY state suffering due to over-regulatory influences of NYC? What would you say the majority of the people are like? Friendly?

Plains10
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2008, 05:32 PM

417 posts, read 1,891,170 times
Economic issues? Oh, where to start... There is little industry in most of the southern tier, but then that is an issue much of the entire country is facing. Cheap overseas labor and 'liberalization' of trade and deregulation of global capital movement are to thank for that. Other parts of the country adapted by shifting over to the 'high-tech' and financial services industries, which has worked for a while, but those sectors are beginning to suffer. The southern tier never made that shift, though the educational infrastructure did exist. There is some primarily niche-market farming serving the trendy NYC market going on in the area, and that is expanding somewhat, and most towns/cities of reasonable size have at least one remnant manufacturing entity still holding on. There is some forestry product industry, though that is pretty small-scale, and the south-western edge of the area is more-or-less a 'commuter' area for NYC (its a long commute, but a lot of people do it). The biggest current economic news for the area is the Marcellus shale gas play- look through the postings here for more info on that.

Appalachin or Northeast? Hmmm, you'd have to define those terms for an accurate answer, but I'll say somewhere in between but more toward Northeast. Though many in the southern tier love their big pickups, hunting, snowmobiling, etc., it's not really 'hillbilly' and the area, while depressed, is nowhere near as poor as the heart of Appalachia. People are generally very friendly, though they aren't going to be your new best friend after a 5-minute chat. Neither as dry as classic down-east Yankees nor as 'chipper' as midwesterners- something in between.

While the area may be suffering somewhat due to being part of the same political/economic and social system as NYC, I don't think it is over-regulatory influence. More a matter of extremely divergent and diverse issues and attitudes that have to be dealt with under a single regime, and the money and power is concentrated in NYC.

Old 09-29-2008, 01:20 AM

961 posts, read 2,502,952 times
Default Southern tier

The content of a useful reply might depend on your plans....visit?..2nd home?...business startup?..relocate to get away from elsewhere?

Old 09-29-2008, 09:37 AM

No, I am just visiting because I have never seen that portion of NY before. Thanks for asking.

Old 09-29-2008, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychrome View Post
Economic issues? Oh, where to start... There is little industry in most of the southern tier, but then that is an issue much of the entire country is facing. Cheap overseas labor and 'liberalization' of trade and deregulation of global capital movement are to thank for that. Other parts of the country adapted by shifting over to the 'high-tech' and financial services industries, which has worked for a while, but those sectors are beginning to suffer. The southern tier never made that shift, though the educational infrastructure did exist. There is some primarily niche-market farming serving the trendy NYC market going on in the area, and that is expanding somewhat, and most towns/cities of reasonable size have at least one remnant manufacturing entity still holding on. There is some forestry product industry, though that is pretty small-scale, and the south-western edge of the area is more-or-less a 'commuter' area for NYC (its a long commute, but a lot of people do it). The biggest current economic news for the area is the Marcellus shale gas play- look through the postings here for more info on that.

Appalachin or Northeast? Hmmm, you'd have to define those terms for an accurate answer, but I'll say somewhere in between but more toward Northeast. Though many in the southern tier love their big pickups, hunting, snowmobiling, etc., it's not really 'hillbilly' and the area, while depressed, is nowhere near as poor as the heart of Appalachia. People are generally very friendly, though they aren't going to be your new best friend after a 5-minute chat. Neither as dry as classic down-east Yankees nor as 'chipper' as midwesterners- something in between.

While the area may be suffering somewhat due to being part of the same political/economic and social system as NYC, I don't think it is over-regulatory influence. More a matter of extremely divergent and diverse issues and attitudes that have to be dealt with under a single regime, and the money and power is concentrated in NYC.
Thanks for the detailed reply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York