Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 04:45 PM

2 posts, read 8,284 times

Advertisements

I was laid off from my job and cannot find a permanent job with a comparable pay to current cost of living. We live in Southern California for 25 years and now, my husband and I and our two sons are planning to move to another state and New York is our first option.

What city is the best place (quiet, low crime, diverse neighborhood, good universities) and work is located nearby? What is the average rent for a 3 BR town home or single family home?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2008, 04:49 PM

862 posts, read 1,041,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaniya View Post
I was laid off from my job and cannot find a permanent job with a comparable pay to current cost of living. My husband and I and our two sons are planning to move to another state and New York is our first option.

What city is the best place (quiet, low crime, diverse neighborhood, good universities) and work is located nearby?

Probaly Albany area is closest fit.

Old 09-28-2008, 05:00 PM

2 posts, read 8,284 times
What is the average rent for a 3 BR town home or single family home?

Old 09-28-2008, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaniya View Post
What is the average rent for a 3 BR town home or single family home?
Varies widely ,Capital area is about 3/4 of a million,from working class to upscale areas.Townhome 3 bed maybe 750to 1200. Homes don't know.

Old 09-29-2008, 03:38 PM

91,994 posts, read 122,078,964 times
Ithaca, all the way. A city of 32,000 in the Finger Lakes region, it home to Cornell University and Ithaca College. It is a city that is comparable to say Berkeley, but smaller. Good schools, very diverse(which they value), very cosmopolitan for it's size and pretty safe. Here is some information on the area:Complete guide to Ithaca, NY hotels, attractions, dining, shopping and recreation with maps and driving directions. The official web site of Ithaca, New York and Tompkins County Convention and Visitors Bureau in the Finger Lakes.

Ithaca

Ithaca College, Ithaca, NY

Cornell University

theithacajournal.com | The Ithaca Journal | Ithaca news, community, entertainment, yellow pages and classifieds. Serving Ithaca, NY

Ithaca Jobs at Jobs.net : Jobs in Ithaca, New York and the surrounding area

//www.city-data.com/city/Ithaca-New-York.html

Ithaca Farmer's Market (http://www.ithacamarket.com/home.php - broken link)

Sciencenter, Ithaca NY

Town of Ithaca

Ithaca HOURs Online: Home Page

Discovery Trail

Ithaca and Tompkins County Access Community

IthacaEvents.com

The State Theatre of Ithaca, NY

Apartments for lease, Homes for sale, Forest City Realty Ithaca New York

Ithaca NY real estate listings and homes for sale, home buying, home selling information – JOAN PIKE - Homepage

Hangar Theatre - Ithaca, New York - Home

Ithaca NY Real Estate - Lisa Strassheim - Real Estate in upstate New York and Ithaca NY

Museum of the Earth

Ithaca, NY Economy at a Glance

Welcome to the Ithaca Ballet

Ithaca Board of REALTORS® - Home

State of the Art Gallery, Ithaca, N.Y.

Ithaca City School District - Home

https://www.nystart.gov/publicweb/County.do?year=2007&county=Tompkins (broken link)

New York schools - NY elementary, middle and high school information

Tompkins County | Home Page |

Tompkins County CHAMBER OF COMMERCE

Central New York Jobs (just pick a category and change the location to Ithaca)

daVinci Jobs of Central and Upstate New York - Syracuse Area Professional Careers in Engineering, Health Care, Sales, Telecommunications, Education, and Much More (just click on search)

Hope this all helps.

BTW- some other cities to check out are Plattsburgh, Saratoga Springs and the Watertown/Fort Drum area.

Old 09-29-2008, 09:00 PM

Ithaca is nice but you could find 10 jobs in Capital Distict for every one in Ithaca.
Also, many working-lower middle class folks are not thrilled with the yuppyism there.

Old 09-29-2008, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alt Dach View Post
Ithaca is nice but you could find 10 jobs in Capital Distict for every one in Ithaca.
Also, many working-lower middle class folks are not thrilled with the yuppyism there.
but Ithaca has everything the post states. It all depends on what type of job the poster is looking for too.

Old 09-30-2008, 02:12 PM

145 posts, read 497,120 times
Not to be Debbie Downer but my husband and recently moved to NY and heard Ithaca was fabulous - so we looked into moving there. Found the town to be drab, collegie and isolated. The lake was beautiful. They need to spend a little money downtown sprucing it up. Saratoga Springs and Glens Falls have prettier downtowns. Jobs in general are hard to find in Capital District. Have you looked into Colorado? Californians seem to adjust well there. Fort Collins is wonderful.

Old 09-30-2008, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmtklein View Post
Not to be Debbie Downer but my husband and recently moved to NY and heard Ithaca was fabulous - so we looked into moving there. Found the town to be drab, collegie and isolated. The lake was beautiful. They need to spend a little money downtown sprucing it up. Saratoga Springs and Glens Falls have prettier downtowns. Jobs in general are hard to find in Capital District. Have you looked into Colorado? Californians seem to adjust well there. Fort Collins is wonderful.
I will say that Ithaca is kind of isolated due to not having a major highway in the area, but I don't know if I would call it drab. That might be related more to the weather, if anything. Unfortunately, that is tough to avoid in Upstate NY, but it's not as bad as people make it either.

Route 13 serves it's purpose for the area and there are other cities and towns within an hour drive. Route 96 does as well.

Old 09-30-2008, 06:21 PM

2,171 posts, read 3,301,489 times
Saratoga Springs and Glens Falls both have great looking downtowns, and SS is a gem in most respects. However, one of the items vaniya mentioned is diversity. Saratoga and Glens Falls are not what I would call diverse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York