Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2008, 12:23 PM

105 posts, read 202,649 times

Advertisements

I want alot of land and to be able to enjoy my hobbies like atvs, dirt biking and lakes. Any ideas on where to look? Orange County looks nice but no legal spots to ride.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2008, 04:27 PM

3,495 posts, read 9,374,747 times
Check out Oswego County, up near Lake Ontario.

Oswego County is the epicenter of snowmobiling and ATV riding in the Northeast. Lots of nearby lakes in Central NY too. Jet Skis is popular on Oneida Lake. There is an indoor dirt biking place just outside Syracuse...which is 20 minutes away from Oswego County, so there's the possibility you could continue dirt biking straight through the winter months.

Oswego County Snowmobile Association:
Oswego County Snowmobile Association Home Page

Oswego County ATV Club:
Oswego County ATV Club Home

Old 09-30-2008, 07:53 PM

92,053 posts, read 122,237,106 times
Default True

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellafinzi View Post
Check out Oswego County, up near Lake Ontario.

Oswego County is the epicenter of snowmobiling and ATV riding in the Northeast. Lots of nearby lakes in Central NY too. Jet Skis is popular on Oneida Lake. There is an indoor dirt biking place just outside Syracuse...which is 20 minutes away from Oswego County, so there's the possibility you could continue dirt biking straight through the winter months.

Oswego County Snowmobile Association:
Oswego County Snowmobile Association Home Page

Oswego County ATV Club:
Oswego County ATV Club Home
Also try the North Country counties like Lewis, Jefferson, St. Lawrence, Franklin, Clinton, Essex and Hamilton.

Lewis County Chamber of Commerce - a quiet corner of New York's Adirondack Region (lewiscountychamber.org)

Trail Jefferson County, New York - ATV, Biking, Kayaking, Walking, Hiking, and Snowmobiling Events

Outdoor Recreation in St. Lawrence County, New York State (NY) :: St. Lawrence County Chamber of Commerce (http://northcountryguide.com/tourism/outdoor/ - broken link)

ATV Source - Articles - 2007 - New York Governor Announces $2.3 Million for Recreational Trails

New York Snowmobiling within Adirondack, New York 6 million acre park in upstate New York: Lake Placid, Saranac Lake, Glens Falls, Old Forge, Lake George etc..

http://www.outbackriders.com/3.html

Sports and Recreation: Results - Lake George, NY (http://www.visitlakegeorge.com/sports_r.php?wntr_snb=y - broken link)

Adirondacks Mountains official recreation guide - Snowmobiling in the Adirondacks, thousands of miles of groomed snowmobile trails make the Adirondacks the east's number one destination for snowmobilers. New York State Adirondack Regional Tourism Cou (http://visitadirondacks.com/recreation/snowmobile2.cfm - broken link)

Snowmobiling in Indian Lake, Blue Mountain Lake, and Sabael (http://www.indian-lake.com/snowmobiling.asp?bc=103&pc=100 - broken link)

Snowmobile Long Lake & Raquette Lake

Old 10-13-2008, 12:35 PM

Any atv out door counties within an hour from the NY city?

Last edited by bellafinzi; 10-13-2008 at 08:19 PM.. Reason: please name which city

Old 10-13-2008, 04:29 PM

5,190 posts, read 5,309,800 times
I gotta suggest Greene County. It's a little further out from NYC...about 100 miles, but it's largely rural...no real cities in the whole county. Catskill is the biggest town and it's under 12,000 people. About 40,000 in the whole county.

However, it's also only 30 miles from Albany/Capital District, an hour from Poughkeepsie and 30 minutes from Kingston.

Lots of land, much cheaper housing prices and taxes than most parts of the state, and incredible beauty, situated between the Hudson River and spilling into the Catskill Mountains.

I absolutely love it here.

I'm afraid I don't know much about ATV'ing in these parts, but I would bet there are some places to get your ride on.

Old 10-14-2008, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
I gotta suggest Greene County. It's a little further out from NYC...about 100 miles, but it's largely rural...no real cities in the whole county. Catskill is the biggest town and it's under 12,000 people. About 40,000 in the whole county.

However, it's also only 30 miles from Albany/Capital District, an hour from Poughkeepsie and 30 minutes from Kingston.

Lots of land, much cheaper housing prices and taxes than most parts of the state, and incredible beauty, situated between the Hudson River and spilling into the Catskill Mountains.

I absolutely love it here.

I'm afraid I don't know much about ATV'ing in these parts, but I would bet there are some places to get your ride on.
thank you if anyone gets more info please let me know

Old 10-14-2008, 04:29 PM

237 posts, read 755,591 times
Griffis is correct that the area is beautiful, and you certainly get more bang for your buck house wise in Greene County. My family and I moved from there this summer after being there for 17 years. To give an example, we have a home on 3 acres that has views of Windham and Hunter Mountains, 4 bedrooms, 2 1/2 bath, stainless, cathedral ceiling, wood floors throughout for $249,900. In Westchester, where we originally came from, the home would easily be $600,000 and up. Many people use ATV's on their own property as well as getting permission from neighbors etc to cut through their areas. It's a great place to go hiking, snowmobiling etc.
For lakes, you might want to check out North Lake, which offers all the things you like. There are many people who go camping there. Now is a great time to go up there as the fall colors should be at about peak. It's one of the things I miss.
Best of luck whatever you do.

Old 10-19-2008, 09:30 PM

9,100 posts, read 13,119,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4dakota View Post
I want alot of land and to be able to enjoy my hobbies like atvs, dirt biking and lakes. Any ideas on where to look? Orange County looks nice but no legal spots to ride.
The Adirondacks have alot of lakes. The Finger Lakes also have the lakes but also state forests in some areas.

Remember although New York has a huge amount of park land (bigger than some entire states), the State parks, the Adirondack and Catskill perserves etc have more environmental regulations than other states and may not allow atvs in all areas. The state forests seem your best bet but I could be wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York