Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 12:57 AM

124 posts, read 641,549 times

Advertisements

RET-FDNY:

I am curious about what you said about having deer near your house in Yonkers. For many years while living in southern Westchester County, I would never see any deer as the area is quite urbanized. One would have to go north of I-287 to find any. But as you mentioned, the deer have been forced out of their habitats by pervasive development. Where in Yonkers did you live? Are deer found in all areas of Yonkers nowadays? And do you know if deer have made their way into the Bronx in such wooded areas as Van Cortlandt Park or Pelham Bay Park? I am fascinated by the fact that deer are now living in these very urbanized areas. Thanks for your response!

PS--You'll love Saranac Lake! It has a peaceable mix of ex-urban refugees, rednecks, back-to-the-landers, nature lovers and unconventional types. It does NOT have the "keeping-up-with-the-Jones's" types, who would think that the Adirondacks are too rural and undisciplined to live in anyway. So be prepared for an area that is hard to pigeonhole socially for such a rural area. This is not the rural midwest or south. (Thank God!). Unlike these aforemntioned locales, the Adirondacks, as well as most of upstate New York and rural New England, have, in general, a live-and-let-live mindset. They are usually tolerant of most people who have different lifestyles than their own. The key word here is "tolerant." Tolerance is a WONDEROUS thing because, by definition, it means acheiving and practicing a difficult thing; namely, live your life as you see fit so long as it doesn't hurt me, and allow me to do the same with respect to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2007, 08:01 AM

15 posts, read 64,298 times
Thanks for your input on Saranac Lake Pidgett. The more I hear, the more I think I am going to like it up there. As I mentioned in previous posts, I do need to be around people and not totally out in the woods.

As far as Yonkers is concerned, we lived right on The Hastings-On-Hudson/Yonkers border, near Tompkins Ave. It was a great place to live. Its funny, the people in
Saranac sort of reminded me of my friends in Yonkers, very down to earth. We have since relocated to Garrison, NY.

The deer were living in an abandoned farm that had become overgrown with trees. It is owned by one of those schools on North Broadway near Tompkins. That whole northwest corner of Yonkers, until a few years ago, had a lot of vacant land. Developers came in and started subdividing, tearing down quaint little house and replacing them with "McMansions" and basically destroying that nice area. It is still a good area to live, but is slowly starting to lose its character.

The deer also live in the woods all along the Saw Mill Parkway in that area. When the county tore out the old Putnam Division railroad tracks and turned the old line into a bike path, that seemed to have displaced more of them. You have to be very careful when you drive on the Saw Mill Parkway, deer are everywhere these days, cars are hitting them on a regular basis. I used to have a part time bartending job in Yonkers and when I came home during the early morning hours, the deer owned that neighborhood! There would be large groups of them running through everyone's yard, when I came up the block and disturbed them, everybody's security lights would start popping on as the deer would activate the motion sensors, it was pretty funny. I felt like I was coming home to a party!

And yes, they are as far down as Van Cortlandt park also. I am not too sure about Pelham Bay.

Last edited by RET-FDNY; 02-16-2007 at 08:09 AM..

Old 05-13-2009, 08:19 AM

1 posts, read 5,605 times
Hello! I am also relocating to the Saranac Lake area. The black flies can be nasty. I finally started to use Avon's skin-so-soft and believe it or not....they left me alone.

Right now I am looking for someplace to live. I would love to rent house but a larger apartment would work as well. I looked for listings in Saranac Lake but found nothing. Any suggestions for areas that surround Saranac Lake....not Lake Placid though....nice place to visit but boy.....too expensive for me!

Old 05-13-2009, 08:26 AM

93,213 posts, read 123,819,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcdnorthstar View Post
Hello! I am also relocating to the Saranac Lake area. The black flies can be nasty. I finally started to use Avon's skin-so-soft and believe it or not....they left me alone.

Right now I am looking for someplace to live. I would love to rent house but a larger apartment would work as well. I looked for listings in Saranac Lake but found nothing. Any suggestions for areas that surround Saranac Lake....not Lake Placid though....nice place to visit but boy.....too expensive for me!
Try here: http://plattsburgh.craigslist.org/apa/

http://local.pressrepublican.com/Sar...tments.zq.html

Remember that some listings might say Tri-Lakes area, like this one: Remodeled includes heat/electric (http://plattsburgh.craigslist.org/apa/1164998911.html - broken link)

Old 10-01-2011, 06:30 PM

19,033 posts, read 13,944,967 times
How's Saranac Lake looking nowadays? I keep running across information that points to a loss of population. If this is true, what are the driving factors? I'm guessing jobs of course but want to hear from a local. I've been up there before, and love the area, but now we are putting it on our short list for retirement planning. It's still a long way off (10 years), but when I make the move I want it to be for good so I want to be well informed and prepared before we make a decision.

Old 10-02-2011, 10:20 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,675,092 times
Saranac Lake is neither a city nor a town.

Saranac Lake is the most unique village (municipal corporation) in New York State:

Some 75 or so villages are located in two or more towns. There are 7 villages which are in two counties. Only one village, the Village of Saranac Lake (incorporated in 1892), is in 3 towns and 2 counties:

Parts of the Village of Saranac Lake are in the Town of North Elba and the Town of St. Armand in Essex County and parts of the Village of Saranac Lake are in the Town of Harrietstown in Franklin County.

A map of the Village of Saranac Lake in the Town of North Elba and the Town of St. Armand, Essex County and in the Town of Harrietstown, Franklin County:

The village is named after the Upper, Middle and Lower Saranac Lakes, which are nearby, but not in the village (Lower Saranac Lake is a half mile west of the village). The northern reaches of Lake Flower, which is part of the Saranac River, lie within the village.

The Town of Saranac is an entirely separate entity, 33 miles to the northeast.

Old 08-23-2013, 09:42 AM

518 posts, read 2,013,239 times
Smile Things are happening in Saranac Lake : )

For the person that was wondering about retirement in this area......think it is happening more and more. There is a real sense of community in this place, and it is a very individualized group of residents. A lot of attractions have opened up lately and I think people are here because they love the lakes, mountains, but also want to be involved in their community.....There is a fantastic library and all sorts of organizations and Lake Placid is right next door for more activities. Very peaceful, but has a certain vibe about it.....more and more back to nature, young people and retirees here.....things are within walking distance and people are very friendly. Having said that, there is a week or two in the winter that we get away to Florida.....If you aren't a skier of some sort or have a winter hobby, winter and snow can be too much. I need to break it up a bit. New developments lately with renewed interest in building, renovating some hotels and restaurants.....seems exciting, but don't want this area to become too touristy.....

Old 01-03-2018, 04:25 AM

77 posts, read 89,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RET-FDNY View Post
Sorry, you hit a BIG sore spot-we work hard and spend lots of money helping and rehabing dogs that had the unfortunate "pleasure" of being "owned" by folks with that mentality.
We would never leave our dog unattended, she is very much a ap art of our family. We are not "Dumb" dog owners.[/quote]

This is an old thread but the deer I found when living in Livingston county NY were not really a problem with gardens. The neighbors outdoor Great Pyrenees used to chase the deer into our backyard of 9 acres. Which I appreciate neighbors wanting to use him as a deer deterrent but I found it never worked still had a group of like 15 deer in the area. Not to mention their dog came on our property and then had to worry about my dogs getting along together. And some people take care of their outdoor animal but most do not, so worrying about their animals being vaccinated so my animals don't catch anything was a concern too.

But there are ways to naturally deter deer. Most herbs are both beautiful and deer-resistant, including sage, thyme, rosemary, oregano, lavender and others. Other aromatic choices include Russian sage (Perovskia), catmint (Nepeta), blue mist shrub (Caryopteris), boxwood (Buxus), and ornamental sages (Salvia)

We used to give cat nip to the neighbor that had a ton of outdoor cats that used to come to our house chase and kill the chipmunks and pee everywhere. So bad that my boots after the season absorbed the cat pee from the grass, nasty! And the summers with the smell was unbearable. Hoping that the nip would keep them at home but as they wouldn't keep it up so when it was eaten or died and they were back. Not to mention my dog wasn't cat friendly so it caused us more work on our part to live in the country in that area, while others stayed blissfully ignorant to common courtesy and other neighbors right to privacy.
I lived in suburbia and understand what has to be dealt with there but when you move somewhere for a little peace and want to enjoy your land, and I am all for "live and let live" but that phrase only seemed to work for people who don't realize their impact their lifestyle has on others.

Would love to build a fenced in compound but then the deer couldn't visit so I am still searching for a remote area that can fit my needs lol. All in all even dealing with those issues the nature and privacy is real nice and can't wait to get back to it.

Old 01-03-2018, 10:29 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,078,565 times
Zombie thread day! you responded to a 10 year old thread....

Old 01-03-2018, 08:58 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,946,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo View Post
I too am moving to the Saranac Lake area kinda..... So far it seems really quaint and having visited 3 or 4 times now, the people are great and very helpful. I would move to Saranac Lake but the schools are not what I want for my kids But since you are not needing schools it would be great for you. Some of the nicest views I have seen on the MLS and in person are in the Saranac Lake school district. Best of Luck to you
What's your problem with the schools? Both my nephews are in the high school, and they seem to be doing well. My oldest is co-captain of the Nordic ski team this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York