Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2007, 07:16 PM

57 posts, read 296,617 times

Advertisements

Hello. We are planning on relocating from Los Angeles in the summer. Last fall, we visited Orange COunty, and Putnam County to look at homes. We decided on Warwick. Someone made a comment..."Orange County is no Westchester County". What did they mean by this? Now I'm concerned. Any opinions will be helpful. We are looking for good schools, preferably horse property, and close to Manhattan. Most of the homes I've seen on the internet in our price range look like tear-downs if they are in Westchester. Thanks for all your honesty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2007, 07:31 PM

500 posts, read 2,859,330 times
What he probably meant is that Orange County is not preppy, luxurious, celebrity-filled, super-rich and mansion-ridden as Weschester generally is.

The west side of the Hudson, where Orange County seats, is kind of a lesser-known area. It doesn't have the fame of the Hudson Valley across the river or the prestige associated with Westchester.

But who cares?

Old 02-13-2007, 07:33 PM

100 posts, read 628,775 times
Basically he meant Orange is not as expensive as Westchester. There really is no special characteristic to Westchester that would make it enviable other than its proximity to the city. But Orange is not that bad in terms of distance. Orange county is a nice place and full of more down to earth people than Westchester is.

Old 02-15-2007, 12:45 AM

66 posts, read 295,155 times
I'm guessing you are referring to my comment on the 13th about Warwick vs Westchester. The two posters above summarized it pretty well but this is the basic breakdown of the hudson valley with counties that are most comparable to their counterparts on the other side of the river.

Orange County -> Dutchess County
Rockland County -> Putnam/Westchester County

Orange County is an outright bargain compared to Putnam/Westchester and Rockland home price wise but you have a longer commute to contend with into NYC. It's not terrible but it is longer... Also, Orange County IS a much more humbled, down to earth place to live with a lot less glitz and glamour that comes with living in Westchester. It's still being developed whereas Westchester has been thoroughly developed and Orange County also has much more growth potential than Westchester (Stewart International Airport becoming the 4th largest international hub in the NYC metro area, Goshen corporate office park etc.) and is more likely to appreciate in home value because of this growth. I'd say living in Orange County is a wiser home investment choice but if you are looking for the Hollywood flash and Beverly Hills lifestyle then Westchester is more fitting. You will absolutely be able to find a horse farm or property large enough to have a few horses in Orange County because of it's farming roots.

Old 03-05-2007, 09:41 AM

1 posts, read 6,136 times
Default I'm moving from Westchester to Orange

Hi. I am a Westchester County resident for 24 years. I pretty much grew up here, went to school and college (Sarah Lawrence) and now attend grad school (Fordham-Tarrytown) in Westchester. I'm a Westchester girl through and through. It is swanky, glitzy, beautiful and stuck-up (in the best meaning of the word of course).

HOWEVER, I have found my dream home in Orange County for LESS than $300K. A comparable home in Westchester would cost me darn near $500k. Guess where I'm going?!?!

I also have a disabled child who will receive a greater amount of services in Orange than in Westchester where many of those services (after-school for autistic children) is either non-existent, poor quality or there's a wait list from hell!

My commute to work will become virtually nightmarish, but hey, you give up some things (convenience to NYC/Jersey) to gain others (less pollution, horse farms for neighbors, stars in the sky at night).

Good luck with whatever choice you make.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York