Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 06:19 AM

44 posts, read 329,631 times

Advertisements

I owned 3 wooded acres in a semi rural area of Vermont. Neighbors were hunting in my backyard and I asked them not to (posted signs). The next thing I know I am getting harassed weekly by neighbors pointing guns at me and threatening my family. Cops would do nothing nor Staties. Turned out neighbors were drug dealers and had murdered a man and buried him on their property. Everyone in town knew of these psychos. Realtor did as well along Chamber of Commerce and nobody told me until AFTER I moved in. Needless to say I left rural Vermont. Talk to several shop owners and as many neighbors about who you live next door to and what is going on in the neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2007, 07:30 AM

417 posts, read 1,890,874 times
I think the majority of those hunting, particularly people who live and hunt locally, are respectful and responsible, but it seems like there is always some idiot doing something stupid or causing problems that reflect poorly on everyone. Several weeks before hunting season began we found a dead buck on our land near our pond- either someone shot it there and just left it or shot it elsewhere and wounded it and didn't follow it to finish the job. From the nature and location of the wound, I doubt the buck travelled too far after getting hit. A sad waste and irresponsible hunting, not least because it was out of season. Though there are only two people who have permission to hunt on our land and we know when they are there, we also know to wear bright clothes, etc. whenever we're in our woods during hunting season (in case someone 'accidentally wanders' onto our land...)- but we shouldn't have to think about that out of season.

Sorry to hear about your VT experience Tarrant. We've got our own drug-dealing neighbor, but he's a little twerp and knows that everyone is watching him.

Old 02-15-2007, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychrome View Post
I think the majority of those hunting, particularly people who live and hunt locally, are respectful and responsible, but it seems like there is always some idiot doing something stupid or causing problems that reflect poorly on everyone. Several weeks before hunting season began we found a dead buck on our land near our pond- either someone shot it there and just left it or shot it elsewhere and wounded it and didn't follow it to finish the job. From the nature and location of the wound, I doubt the buck travelled too far after getting hit. A sad waste and irresponsible hunting, not least because it was out of season. Though there are only two people who have permission to hunt on our land and we know when they are there, we also know to wear bright clothes, etc. whenever we're in our woods during hunting season (in case someone 'accidentally wanders' onto our land...)- but we shouldn't have to think about that out of season.

Sorry to hear about your VT experience Tarrant. We've got our own drug-dealing neighbor, but he's a little twerp and knows that everyone is watching him.
Thanks. The lack of help from local small town police is what was so disturbing. The reality is people are people and we just wanted to be left alone. We had many horrible incidences of being harassed at our home from dead animals left at our door to guns being drawn and pointed at us.When I phoned the police they came and said "What do you want us to do?"...frustrating!!! About the 10th phone call in 4 months they refused to follow up on the violent behavior of our neighbors. We feared for our safety, so we sold the house and left. Rural life is so beautiful. Sorry for your deer incident. That's such a waste.

Old 02-15-2007, 09:01 AM

3,360 posts, read 12,264,630 times
GoldenCrow, Deer 'jacking' is one thing the authorities get very upset about and will send a person to jail for.

Northern Tier (NYS) hunting is a little different than Southern Tier (NYS)hunting in that it attracts people from different areas, though many from the northern (woods)also hunt in the south as the season open earlier. Most of those I know in the Northern Tier hunt for food. A deer would never be left wounded. If you do find someone hunting on your posted property you can take the license down and report it (unless you have crazy neighbors as described).

Old 02-15-2007, 09:10 AM

Location: North of the Cow Pasture and South of the Wind Turbines
856 posts, read 2,920,896 times
After making the move myself to Hooterville (Upstate NY) here are my tips after almost a year of rural life after living my whole life on that great Island that is discussed here at length.

Definately do your homework on your prospective town - you really can't know everything but if you can stay for a week or two that will really give you a better idea of what the differences are.

Wind Turbines I'll make this short so this thread doesnt get closed.
The day I closed on my new home right after the closing my Real Estate agent (lying sac of sheet) hands me a notice of a town meeting to discuss the plans for Wind turbine development in my new town. She thought I might be interested! MMMMM - ever since then we have been very involved in a local group fighting the beasts. And since the town board members have signed leases with the Wind Energy developers I am not too optimistic about the future

Hire an engineer who is very familiar with the problems that are typical of rural properties. Especially when it comes to flood problems. Those little streams and rivers may look pretty but this summer if I live on one I would be currently living in a houseboat. record floods. Make sure your drainage is sufficient. I was lucky in that respect the drainge flow around my house is very good. Simliarly if you are buying an old farm house check that out from top to bottom - foundation heating systems etc.

When I bought my house there was snow on the ground. What my agent failed to tell is that 3 acres of land had been completly clear cut and parcially excavated. Long story short when the snow melted my front yard looked like the planet Mars. Here the agent outright lied about the condition of the property which I only had pictures of it in the summer and before the excavation. Now I am looking at 10 grand to make it a field!.

If you plan on during a lot of your own maintaince do a lot of homework on equipment - Tractors / mowing plowing. Always buy commercial grade machines. Those home depot lawn tractors wont cut it ( ) I bought a 4000 lawn tractor and its still not enough machine to do it all.

Hunting is a problem as well, you can ask someone in the local hunting store gun shop about where the hunting is heavy.

Rural life is expensive. Taxes are pretty high - very high where I am. You may save a little here and there, but be prepared for unexpected expences.

Last edited by BovinaCowHateWindTurbines; 02-15-2007 at 09:19 AM..

Old 02-15-2007, 09:07 PM

21 posts, read 49,216 times
Default got to butt in here,

[quote=Sgoldie;367229]Ask your realtor if there's 'anything else you should know' about an area/neighborhood/home. This applies to anywhere you move.

They usually know everything that's going on even if it hasn't appeared on the horizon yet. There may be other things they know about that don't effect the liveability of the house but may be a concern to you, unless you're working with a 'buyer's agent', you don't find out unless you ask.

---Sell your property to the wind generator company and make a tidy profit.

[/QUOTE)

The wind generting companies/developers are in NO WAY interested in buying property, They want to lease property only.
Cya, Navin

Old 02-16-2007, 01:19 AM

124 posts, read 641,489 times
Tarrant,

Where in rural vermont did you live? I read your posts about your unfortunate experiences with much dismay and shock. The reason I am dismayed is that I always hear from various sources how "sensible" rural Vermonters are. I guess that the Vermont tourism board does a great propaganda job in portraying Vermont as having peaceful and "progressive" citizens! Perhaps you could elaborate more on your experience in Vermont in order to gain an understanding of this enigmatic and mythical state!

PS-Where do you live now and where did you grow up?

Old 02-16-2007, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pidgett View Post
Tarrant,

Where in rural vermont did you live? I read your posts about your unfortunate experiences with much dismay and shock. The reason I am dismayed is that I always hear from various sources how "sensible" rural Vermonters are. I guess that the Vermont tourism board does a great propaganda job in portraying Vermont as having peaceful and "progressive" citizens! Perhaps you could elaborate more on your experience in Vermont in order to gain an understanding of this enigmatic and mythical state!

PS-Where do you live now and where did you grow up?
It would take pages to elaborate. I do not want to slam an area for my single experience and will only say it was central VT. I use to live in California. Last week I recieved a call from friend there telling me of 2 friends that were shot dead in their driveway over a long battled land dispute with their neighbor. (Google...Monterey Herald, Mel and Elizabeth Grimes in Carmel Valley Ca for details). This sent shocks thru me as it was a similar situation I went thru. Both incidences the police did not take a serious stand. I feared for being killed as well.I LOVE NEW ENGLAND!!! and will be returning from here in NC in the next few months but not living a rural area. All I can tell you is "Larry, Darryl and the other brother Darryl" are alive and living thruout the countrynot just VT. Just be careful of the rural areas. They have wonderful people and not so nice too. Some long time locals do not like outsiders coming in and buying property for various reasons. Rural can be great just do one's homework.

Old 02-16-2007, 09:31 AM

525 posts, read 2,350,985 times
My guess, and it is just a guess, is the farther you are away from activity, the easier it is to grow pot or set up a meth lab! I have no idea but I can tell you where I am the only car you see is the mailman once a day. Certainly it would be easy in any area that does not have much traffic, which is rural.

Damn, how do you figure out what is going on before you buy somewhere?

Tarrant, I did read about that story, I believe the disoute was over a carport? Is that the same story? Neighbor disputes are just plain ugly and nasty. There is no way to win in that situation, the cops do nothing until someone is harmed, and then obviously it is too late! Scary stuff indeed. Well, where there are humans, perfection will not be achieved-humans are such a difficult species! Glad you got out of there safely, but damn that sucks you had to be the one to disrupt your life, pack up and move-all the while you were the GOOD citizen. Typical. The bad ones get protected and the good ones suffer.

Old 02-16-2007, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSayNo View Post
My guess, and it is just a guess, is the farther you are away from activity, the easier it is to grow pot or set up a meth lab! I have no idea but I can tell you where I am the only car you see is the mailman once a day. Certainly it would be easy in any area that does not have much traffic, which is rural.

Damn, how do you figure out what is going on before you buy somewhere?

Tarrant, I did read about that story, I believe the disoute was over a carport? Is that the same story? Neighbor disputes are just plain ugly and nasty. There is no way to win in that situation, the cops do nothing until someone is harmed, and then obviously it is too late! Scary stuff indeed. Well, where there are humans, perfection will not be achieved-humans are such a difficult species! Glad you got out of there safely, but damn that sucks you had to be the one to disrupt your life, pack up and move-all the while you were the GOOD citizen. Typical. The bad ones get protected and the good ones suffer.
Yup...rural can = drugs.
California dispute was over a shared drive that the Grimeses put a carport on and they both claimed it was their property. The neighbor (killed pets before)put a boulder at the foot of the drive and when Mel went to remove it he was shot dead along with his wife by the neighbor.
I look at life as a continous learning of lessons.
I am at lesson #974....431 to go!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York