Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 10:59 AM

106 posts, read 371,582 times

Advertisements

My family moved from a small NY town (about 10,000 people) to a very rural town (more cows than people). While we love where we live, here's a couple of things I wish I'd looked into:

1) Check to see if broadband is available. There are some satellite options for high speed internet, but they are often much more expensive than basic DSL in a more populated area.

2) Watch out for large wind energy developments planned for the area: We purchased our home only to find out that there had been a very quiet campaign by a wind developer to put 50 or more giant wind turbines in our backyard (one of these 400+ foot turbines will be a neighbors property and will be about 500 feet from our property line). This is a significant hot-button issue, and no matter where you fall in the debate about wind energy development, you should know before you buy if a development is planned nearby. Some good research could save you lots of heartache.

3) Understand the local zoning: Get a copy of the zoning (if it even exists), or better yet, a copy of the comprehensive plan. This will give you an idea of where the town is headed in terms of future development.

Other tips?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2007, 12:07 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,276,225 times
Ask your realtor if there's 'anything else you should know' about an area/neighborhood/home. This applies to anywhere you move.

They usually know everything that's going on even if it hasn't appeared on the horizon yet. There may be other things they know about that don't effect the liveability of the house but may be a concern to you, unless you're working with a 'buyer's agent', you don't find out unless you ask.

---Sell your property to the wind generator company and make a tidy profit.

Old 02-14-2007, 01:38 PM

Default selling home to wind developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoldie View Post
---Sell your property to the wind generator company and make a tidy profit.
Thanks for the reply.

We did ask our agent a direct question about "other issues" of concern, and she made no mention of the wind development. I think she was telling the truth because many of our neighbors were as surprised as we were.

Do you know of anyone who's actually sold their home / property to a wind developer? There's a family in our area with their home on the market and they've had a couple of deals fall through once the buyers get a full understanding of the magnitude of this wind development. But they don't have enough land for a turbine, so I doubt the company would be interested in buying.

Last edited by GoldenCrow; 02-14-2007 at 01:40 PM.. Reason: typo!

Old 02-14-2007, 05:06 PM

525 posts, read 2,352,414 times
Golden, do you live next door to me? We have more cows than humans, and you know all about me and the wind turbines EXCELLENT post for all those looking to come up here. Thanks for posting, though WAY too late for you and me-in this case misery does not want company and you are kind to give the warnings to others that no one gave you and me!

Your zoning tip is great, though a lot of us small towns don't have zoning, which is why we are being prayed upon by the wind scammers. We have a great Comp. Plan, but is means doo doo right now compared to the bribes, I mean PILOTS, that the wind companies are throwing around.

And, broadband, excellent point.

Also local programming on Satelite-we CAN'T get it! WAAAAAAAA

And, be sure to know whether the home is on a town-maintained road or not (though ours is and I have more than two feet of un-plowed snow on my road-so that means jack if you live far off a main road)

TAXES-ours went up 19% this year due to some funky county and local tax jargin.

HUNTING- we live in the middle of 500 un-developed, privately owned, POSTED EVERY FIVE FEET acres and I still had jackasses spotting day and night and on my property. DEC can't patrol all the land, and really does not care frankly, and unless you are willing to go gun-for-gun and beer-for-beer with the downstaters that come up for some animal-killing fun, you are out of luck. I am appauld that I am helpless, and pretty pissed about it.

I'll add more if I can think of any!

Old 02-14-2007, 05:08 PM

No, the wind companies will NOT buy your house just because you are a non-participating landowner whom is against the beasts. They don't give two-poos about you. We are all out of luck if they pass, and our equity investment is down the drain. A lawsuit, class-action is best, is the ONLY way you may be compensated for the greed that towers over you.

Old 02-14-2007, 05:33 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,276,225 times
No, I don't. Sorry. You can always try anyway. I have heard of cell phone towers and radio station towers who pay to rent land in uncovered rural spots.

Old 02-14-2007, 05:54 PM

Indeed, that is also something that upsets people up here. We have no cell phone coverage here for at least 10 miles.

And SGoldie, i know you don't live near me-I only have two neighbors, I was just joshing around

Old 02-14-2007, 06:13 PM

417 posts, read 1,892,395 times
Uh oh, wind is back! Better lookout or the administrative hammer may come down on us! Here's the thing I don't really get- If you look at all the wind 'resource/density' maps out there of NY state, except for the coast of LI and along Lakes Erie and Ontario, the speed/density isn't really all that great.....

Anyway, good tips so far. Also look into getting garbage picked up, how much the dump costs and where it is..... And if there are any superfund or polluted sites nearby. It's easy to look at much of upstate NY and get the impression it's practically 'untouched,' but the fact is that almost all of the forest one sees is second growth and there were all kinds of industry going on in the past.

Also, it's less of a likely issue in NY, but if someone is looking to buy land be sure to have a lawyer go over the title abstracts, etc. and find out if mineral or other resource rights have been sold, if there are utility rights-of-way, etc. etc. And make sure you know what comes with your purchace. I knew someone who bought a place that had 10 or so beehives on it- it wasn't THE selling point, but it was a plus. Four months after the sale someone showed up with a truck and started loading the hives onto it- apparently while the property sale was under contract the owner/seller had sold the hives separately, and didn't say anything about it. My friends decided it wasn't worth the legal expense to fight the previous owner (there was no mention of the hives either being part of the sale or not being part of it) and angrily let it go. But I've heard of quite a few other cases of such things happening with old farm equipment, etc.

Old 02-14-2007, 06:46 PM

Excellent additions to the thread. Garbage is omportant, thought the dump run is a social event in these parts. It is like the ladies room in my corporate days---I got so much more done in the ladies room than in the board room!

And yes, in Delaware County and almost all of the Catskill State park, it is 60-80 year growth, It was completely deforested and all pasture in the old days-at least here.

Old 02-15-2007, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSayNo View Post
HUNTING- we live in the middle of 500 un-developed, privately owned, POSTED EVERY FIVE FEET acres and I still had jackasses spotting day and night and on my property. DEC can't patrol all the land, and really does not care frankly, and unless you are willing to go gun-for-gun and beer-for-beer with the downstaters that come up for some animal-killing fun, you are out of luck. I am appauld that I am helpless, and pretty pissed about it.

I'll add more if I can think of any!
Hello, JSN. It does sound like we're leading parallel lives in little NY towns.

Oh yes, some of the hunting practices of out here are a bit distrubring. Last fall we had a couple of guys deer spotting at night with some high powered flash light (they call them sun guns) and then taking shots at deer in our front yard while they were standing next to their car! This is unusual, and most hunters here are responsible, but it does happen and it's dangerous.

More later...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York