Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2008, 09:28 AM

2 posts, read 14,071 times

Advertisements

I am on a Short term visit to the US and drive on the license of my home-country (which is legal as per US law).

I was stopped by a NY State Police Officer who told me that I was driving at 93 mph in 65 mph zone. He has given me a form with supporting deposition. The deposition also says that speed verified by a radar.

Now he asked me to mail it/submit in person to the court which is 200 miles from my place (I m stayin and workin in New jersey)

Please advise. Can anybody also tel me what is the usual fine if I plead guilty with an explanation?

P.S: I was driving around 75-80 and didn't realize that I had reached 93 - I am not sure if I was even more than 90 but the radar says so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2008, 04:22 PM

2 posts, read 14,071 times
Today I got through to the District Attorney and he said "I can reduce your 10 mph and make it 83 in 65 zone. You just need to mail me a Plea to Guilty with an explanation admitting 83 and an optional additional letter if you want to explain other things too"

Now suggest me, is it possible that this would get reduced by a large amount - will the Judge actually go through my explanation and agree that I was at 83 even though the Radar has verified the speed at 93?

Please advise fast.

Old 10-21-2008, 05:07 PM

118 posts, read 626,741 times
If the DA says to plead guilty with a letter of explanation down to 83 mph then I would go with that. Your only other option is to plead not guilty which then in turn requires you to go back to court in person to plead your case in front of the DA and the judge.

Since you were doing 10 mph+ over the posted speed limit, your fine, including court fees will probably be around $250 or so. Also, normally you would have points put on your license that would affect your insurance, however, I do not know how that would work with you having an out of country license. Maybe the DA told you something regarding that?

If you have the money, and don't have to worry about points on your license, I would just plead guilty and pay the fine if I were you.

Here is a link to the dept of motor vehicles for NYS.

NYS DMV - Frequently Asked Questions

Hope this helps some......

Old 10-21-2008, 05:31 PM

473 posts, read 2,754,115 times
even at 75-80 what was your hurry? thats kinda fast for a 65 zone

Old 10-22-2008, 01:57 AM

961 posts, read 2,501,977 times
....A liitle too fast for our county....We accept cash or major credit cards....

Old 10-22-2008, 03:13 AM

1 posts, read 6,998 times
Default Speeding Ticket in Tioga

http://www.nytrafficticket.comThat's not a bad deal especially since it does not seem like your have a New York license. The reduction will save you from paying the $300 driver assessment fee and only two points will be placed on your NJ license. For more information about fighting a New York traffic ticket, visit [url=http://www.nytrafficticket.com]New York Traffic Lawyer|Fight NY Speeding Ticket|888.RED.LIGHT[/url]

Old 10-23-2008, 09:04 AM

967 posts, read 2,994,643 times
...or blow the whole thing off and don't come back into NY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
View detailed profiles of: