Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 07:40 PM

22 posts, read 76,219 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to NY from San Francisco. I always lived in either the city (Marina District) or Marin county. I am a very well educated single mother of twin boys and want to move to a community similar to Marin county, CA--excellent schools, lots of outdoor activities---hiking, running trails, sailing, kayaking, organic markets, and quaint downtown with good restaurants. I'd really like a community where I could buy a Victorian and fix it up. A friend suggested Cold Spring, but I'm a little worried it's too far out in the boonies. Can anyone provide any feedback or suggestions for other areas? I don't want to move to an area where we'll feel isolated.

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2008, 11:47 AM

ANYTHING anyone can tell me about Cold Spring based on my above criteria?

THANKS SO MUCH!

Old 11-01-2008, 12:01 PM

821 posts, read 1,039,429 times
Well its funny you say that, cuz i'm moving from NYC to San francisco to live that type of lifestyle. i like surfing, hiking, camping, beautiful landscape, liberal attitudes, and mild weather all year round.
You can't compare the amazing environment of SF to NY at all.
Its cold here and especially in Upstate New York, which can be very limiting. Don't get me wrong upstate NY is beautiful, but it can be very boony like. I'm not quite familiar with Cold Springs in particular. Property tax is rediculous in upatate NY btw.
To me coming from NY, I would have loved to have grown up in Northern California.
How old are the twins BTW?

Old 11-01-2008, 12:13 PM

My little guys are 18 months--such a cute age! Let me know when you are leaving for San Fran and I can offer some great recs on where to live. BTW: If you make decent money, the taxes in CA are going to kill you!

Old 11-01-2008, 12:23 PM

821 posts, read 1,039,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grollings View Post
My little guys are 18 months--such a cute age! Let me know when you are leaving for San Fran and I can offer some great recs on where to live. BTW: If you make decent money, the taxes in CA are going to kill you!
Wow! 18 mos! Cute! I was asking cuz I was wondering what they thought about the move, but I guess thats not an issue right now

I'm planning on moving to Oakland by next Fall.

Don't worry the taxes aren't gonna kill me, i barely make over $25,000 a yr.

I'm going to persue my career as a Social Worker in the Bay Area so i don't think i'll ever have to worry about taxes. I'll prolly rent forever.

When i went on vacation there in September i went camping in Point Reyes on the beach. Absolutely amazing. I surfed at Ocean Beach, took the train there which is awesome since i don't drive, can't afford the insurance and gas.

I also drove down to santa Cruz, well my GF drove. Highway 1 was incredible, the most amazing landscape I've ever seen in my life. Santa Cruz surf was awesome!

I'd love to hear some of your advice about outdoor things to do.

Why do you wanna relocate to NY?

Old 11-01-2008, 08:57 PM

151 posts, read 605,000 times
Cold Spring/ Garrison area: First off, its not the Boonies. Its actually a Very Busy little hamlet. Tons of people shoot up here on the weekends to hit Main Street. I do not know what your price range is, but homes in this area are expensive and most need work. Old Homes ALWAYS need work.

I ran a quick basic search for you on Victorian Homes in Cold Spring , Garrison area. 7 came up as active: Here they are: Victorian Homes in Cold Spring

Let me know if you need any other help.

By the way, Here is a link to every Victorian Home available in the Westchester, Putnam and Dutchess County Area. 96 listings currently: All Victorian Homes

Old 11-02-2008, 10:52 AM

Thanks so much for the above listings!

Is there anything else you or anyone else can tell me about Cold Spring or the Hudson River Valley?

Old 11-02-2008, 03:43 PM

2,514 posts, read 4,953,937 times
Cold Spring is very close to NYC so no worries about the boonies. The further you go north along the Hudson River Valley, home prices drop accordingly. I have lived all over the valley & love it. If you don't mind being 3 hours from NYC, you should check out Saratoga Springs. It is EVERYTHING you described in your original post. The west side of town is the "up & coming" section of the city with Victorians being restored everywhere.

Dutchess County is very nice for families. The other side of the river, Orange, Sullivan, Ulster counties all have good & bad spots...but overall, Saratoga Springs north of Albany offers all you asked for without the pricetag of Cold Spring.

Old 11-02-2008, 08:34 PM

Thanks so much! I actually need to be close to NYC, so 3 hours would be too far...

Old 11-07-2008, 09:59 AM

133 posts, read 466,443 times
Check out Tarrytown. It is a quaint, historic Hudson River town close to outdoor activities and 35 min from Midtown. Great views of the river as well! Cold Spring is 52 miles from NYC not exactly very close as someone said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York