Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 07:35 AM

10 posts, read 55,843 times

Advertisements

Our family is moving to the Southern Tier area of New York from Wyoming. My husband has a job with the post office in Elmira. I have been looking at posts for the past six months to try to get an idea of where we want to live. Elmira, Corning, Bath, Horseheads. This is all so new for me. I have lived in Wyoming all my life. My husband was born in Williamsport PA so he is back in his neck of the woods. I want to know what will be the best way to meet people when we move? Where is the best area to live where there are other families with kids ages 10 to 15? What types of things are offered in this area of the state to make it easier to meet other families?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2008, 03:14 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,214,540 times
i grew up in that area and williamsport isn't that far off - what is bringing you there? - where will you be working? - what kind of work do you want to do?

Old 11-03-2008, 04:09 PM

93,193 posts, read 123,783,345 times
I would say Horseheads, due to the fact it is the biggest suburban area, has shopping, good schools with plenty of activites and safe. Elmira Heights might be good too, because it is a smaller suburban area, it's in between the city of Elmira and Horseheads and I believe the schools are still good.

Other options are the southside of Elmira, the Corning area and maybe even communities in Tioga County like Waverly and Spencer. Even communities like Athens and Sayre in PA could be legit possibilities and touches Waverly, which is on the NY side. Hope this helps.

Old 11-03-2008, 07:42 PM

It is hard to explain what is taking us to NY. The United States Post Office, in its infinite wisdom has has him working as a fill in supervisor for the past year in Rock Springs, WY. But they are not willing to send him to train in this position permanantly. Elmira, NY is willing to hire him from across the country, train him, and pay for us to move. So we took this opportunity. We lived in Rock Springs since we got married in 1992 so I could help take care of my elderly parents. Now that they have passed, I have nothing to keep me here. So we are moving closer to where my husband grew up, in Williamsport, PA. Also, his father lives in Connecticut, so it puts us closer to him.

Old 11-03-2008, 07:52 PM

Unhappy thanks to ckhthankgod

Every little bit helps. I know I am going to be scared of this move every step of the way. It is funny. My mom could never understand why anyone would want to leave Rock Springs. And she was very set in her ways. And now, I almost feel I am stuck in my ways just like she was. Mirror, mirror, on the wall, I am my mother after all!!

Old 11-03-2008, 08:15 PM

93,193 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Default No need to be scared.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43bonnie View Post
Every little bit helps. I know I am going to be scared of this move every step of the way. It is funny. My mom could never understand why anyone would want to leave Rock Springs. And she was very set in her ways. And now, I almost feel I am stuck in my ways just like she was. Mirror, mirror, on the wall, I am my mother after all!!
I understand though as Wyoming is different than Upstate NY in many ways, but you might be pleasantly surprised. Also, considering Elmira's close proximity to Pennsylvania, you might be able to live there as well. Mansfield is another community that comes to mind in PA as well.

Elmira gets a bad rap, but from my experiences there, the people seem to be very friendly and nice. It's a city of about 30,000. So a city maybe comparable in Wyoming is Laramie, in terms of size.

Old 11-04-2008, 10:42 AM

382 posts, read 1,530,874 times
43 Bonnie - I don't think you need to be scared or anxious about the move. It's a farm and small town area. Because you have children you'll probably meet people relatively quick. Good luck. And Route 17, soon to be Interstate 88, runs through the area giving you quick access to points east.

Old 11-04-2008, 11:26 AM

406 posts, read 1,450,532 times
I know you will be very pleasantly surprised at how nice it is here in N.Y. About the only negative I can think of would be the weather, it does snow here. Coming from Wy, you should have no problems at all with it. Just think of it as a great adventure, best of luck.

Old 11-04-2008, 03:41 PM

Thank you so much for everyone who has taken the time to send me these messages. I appreciate all the info I can get!!

Old 11-04-2008, 04:10 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,214,540 times
hopefully these help make it a little less scary

Corning (market street)
http://doncreath.excelsiorsystems.net/media/photologue/photos/2008/Sep/27/market_street.jpg (broken link)

A link to events at cornings gaffer district

Corning's Gaffer District - Corning, New York - Shopping - Entertainment - Museums - Food

Watkins Glen

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York