Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 05:40 PM

83 posts, read 299,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiminCT View Post
Upstate optimists can remain that way.....but many young people just dont like living in that dreary climate after college. It isnt just the economy that is driving young people away...
There are great schools up there...but a lot of the kids going to Cornell, Colgate, Rochester, RIT, St. Lawrence, Clarkson, Hamilton etc. who came from somewhere else....looked around and really couldnt see themselves living there. Do they want to battle SAD as a byproduct of living up there? New England is the SAME way...many young people are packing up and moving to much friendly and warmer climates.

Upstate NY is a hard sell....NYC or no NYC.
What is so bad about the climate?

I can't understand this new trend in the U.S.
Heaven forbid, it might be cloudy sometimes, or you may even get SNOW!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2008, 05:41 PM

1,301 posts, read 3,578,213 times
They might see things differently when they see how long and hard the rest of the country is falling right now, though.

Upstate already went through this economic shock 20 years ago. Welcome to your future, America. The go-go illusions of the last 10 years are gone forever.

Old 11-14-2008, 05:48 PM

417 posts, read 1,891,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeromeville View Post
They might see things differently when they see how long and hard the rest of the country is falling right now, though.

Upstate already went through this economic shock 20 years ago. Welcome to your future, America. The go-go illusions of the last 10 years are gone forever.
Unlike the 'sand states,' NY state has good water, decent land for small-scale intensive agriculture and the (hopefully) revive-able remnants of a decent infrastructure. Many of the 'hot growth' areas of the past 10-20 years have none of this and survive only on massive, continuous energy inputs. To use the 5 stages of grief as an analogy, upstate NY is at least a step or two further along than the 'denial' stage many other areas are now in. At least that puts us a little closer to acceptance of the new world-paradigm we're in.

Old 11-14-2008, 06:01 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,587,046 times
I'll use my example again....if you think Upstate NY has a harsh climate....try taking a look at Minneapolis or Chicago (Which while not having as much snow...have much colder temps in the winter, and are much hotter/more humid in the summer...with a less beautiful fall in between). What defines harsh weather anyways? I think the intensly hot and oppresivly humid summers they have in NC (where again, I lived for 13 years and is now THE hotbed for relocation way ahead of any other state) were pretty extrme and kept a lot of people couped up in the house all SUMMER in the AC. Is it less "harsh" to hide in the A/C durring summer than to hide in the heat durring winter? And in NC the highs durring summer that feel really hot and oppressive are just the mid to upper 90's with high humidity...making the heat index about 105-110. What about out in Nevada and Arizona where the temperature itself is 115? low 30's and bundled up to keep warm while outside (which is a typical January/February day in Rochester) is more tolerable than being unable to escape the oppresive heat when walking around outside in the summer in a "sunbelt" state IMO. We also don't have to worry about hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes, or extreme drought like many of the "sunbelt" areas do either.

Old 11-14-2008, 07:14 PM

1,301 posts, read 3,578,213 times
Things Upstate also does not have: fire ants, killer bees, sand fleas, or those crazy swarming "raspberry" bugs in Texas.

But oh nooooooooo! There's snow and sometimes cloudy skies. And four seasons. OhmiGOD!!!! it's beyond human endurance....

So let's stop talking about the WEATHER, because I just went on the California forum and read a post by someone in Orange County saying he seriously couldn't stand day after day of sunny warm weather.

The truth is that separating Upstate and NYC (not that it would ever happen) would produce both benefits and drawbacks for both sides.

Old 11-15-2008, 08:36 AM

1 posts, read 3,007 times
I'm pretty sure if they were to separate from upper New York, that new state would be called Long Island.

Since that IS what it's called. And if Long Island were to become its own state, including New York City, it'd have somewhere near 10 million people, would it not?

I'm for the secession..

BTW, I live on Long Island.

Old 11-15-2008, 09:03 PM

473 posts, read 2,754,500 times
im telling you as a person who lived and grew up in CA....it is easier to stay warm in the winter, than it is to stay cool in the summer. complain as you might about the cost of heating during the winter, at least you have alternatives, that can save you money (wood/coal, etc)...the only thing that can cool your house in the heat is central air. I don't even want to discuss what it cost me to keep a 1500 ft2 house in CA in reasonable temps in the 10 months of CA summer (and thats w/ the air off during the day and just running after the family got home). It's way more than what i spend on heat in NY.

Plus I can FUNCTION in cold...if its cold outside...i just put on a good jacket, wear some thermals...shovel some snow, or take a walk/hike....and im toasty and warm. YOu can be naked in 115+ degrees and you cant get past the oppressive heat.

I mean BOOHOO...Cold weather!! I rather be cold for a few months in winter than to be facing WILDFIRES IN NOVEMBER!! WTF? seriously?? in NOVEMBER. at least the seasons change up here, and just at the right time. Theres enough heat and warmth to have me look forward to the snow and cold...and enough snow and cold to be happy to see the warmer weather again.

People just like to complain.

Old 11-15-2008, 09:13 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,587,046 times
" you must pass some reputation around before giving it to CBaillo again"

that's a damn shame!

Old 11-16-2008, 06:54 AM

473 posts, read 2,754,500 times
you know what they say about great minds... :P

Old 11-16-2008, 10:28 AM

83 posts, read 299,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantan4 View Post
I'm pretty sure if they were to separate from upper New York, that new state would be called Long Island.

Since that IS what it's called. And if Long Island were to become its own state, including New York City, it'd have somewhere near 10 million people, would it not?

I'm for the secession..

BTW, I live on Long Island.
So New York City, Long Island?

I'd rather Upstate New York be renamed something like Iroquioa, I think NYC deserves to keep the name "New York".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York