Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2008, 10:45 AM

128 posts, read 323,004 times

Advertisements

Does anyone live in these counties or have info on these different counties. Which area has more to offer regarding education, major medical care hospitals, parks/recreation, family oriented, shopping, and where you can earn a decent salary, and lastly within an hour of an airport! Thank You!
/Finger Lakes Geography - Cites, Towns, and the 14 Counties: Monroe, Wayne, Chemung, Tioga, Schuyler, Steuben, Cortland, Cayuga, Yates, Ontario, Livingston, Onondaga, Seneca and Tompkins... GROUP TOUR PLANNER NOW ONLINE!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2008, 12:15 PM

118 posts, read 626,765 times
That is way too broad of a question...you need to narrow yourself down.

Old 11-15-2008, 12:21 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,866,231 times
I would shoot for Monroe.... but I am biased.... having lived in Monroe Co most of my life. I have worked in Wayne and lived there as well..... mother worked in Ontario.... so I have insight there....

Monroe seems to be the best imho.....based on your requirements and my experiences....

Old 11-15-2008, 03:46 PM

128 posts, read 323,004 times
Thank You

Old 11-15-2008, 10:16 PM

172 posts, read 846,779 times
This is indeed a very broad question.

Monroe is home to the city of Rochester (~200,000 people), and Onondaga is home to the city of Syracuse (~150,000 people). Both of those cities have major airports and large medical facilities.

Tompkins is home to Ithaca, a college town of about 30,000 that has Cornell University and Ithaca College. Similarly, Livingston is home to the college town of Geneseo and its 11,000 residents. Syracuse has Syracuse University and LeMoyne College among others, and Rochester has the University of Rochester, St. John Fisher, and R.I.T., among others. Most of the other counties have at least one smaller community college or private college within their borders.

Some of the other cities in the region with populations of more than 10,000 are Auburn (Cayuga), Cortland (Cortland), Corning (Steuben), Elmira (Geneva) and Geneva (Ontario).

Depending on where you go, each county tends to have a different character. Seneca, Cayuga, Schuyler and Tompkins tend to be more associated with the "Finger Lakes Wine Country". Ontario is a mix of old (Geneva) and new (Victor, a rapidly growing town due to its proximity to Rochester). Cortland, Chemung and Steuben are more rural in character and their largest communities saw their heyday as small industrial centers half a century (or more) ago.

Your questions covers 10,000 sq. mi and a couple of million people, so its like you're asking about a small state. You'll need to narrow it down if you want any specific answers.

Old 11-19-2008, 05:48 PM

469 posts, read 1,639,987 times
Ontario or Burlington Vermont
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York