U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2007, 03:10 AM

478 posts, read 1,981,697 times

Advertisements

We are living in England (and loving it!) but DH's employer has said it would be best for him to be in 'greater NYC area'.

Where are these areas? When I google 'greater NYC area', I don't learn much. Been to wikipedia, too, but gives me info on NYC metropolitan area, into PA, etc.

I'd so appreciate a list of possible cities, towns in greater NYC area. We've been to NYC and LI before, but just the usual tourist experience.

This might help, too: we are a family of five, three kids under age 5, and would be looking to purchase a home between $600 and $700k. Excellent schools are a must, as is the usual stuff for SAHM (groceries, maybe even a Whole Foods, close to schools, etc)

Last edited by muse1110; 02-25-2007 at 04:18 AM.. Reason: Addtional information
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2007, 06:50 AM

12,270 posts, read 10,742,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muse1110 View Post
This might help, too: we are a family of five, three kids under age 5, and would be looking to purchase a home between $600 and $700k. Excellent schools are a must, as is the usual stuff for SAHM (groceries, maybe even a Whole Foods, close to schools, etc)
Greater NYC area can mean New Jersey, Connecticut and New York. Is your husband going to work in NYC or surrounding areas? If NYC, he'd most likely be commuting by train, so check out Metro-North at mta.info/mnr for maps and schedules, it's a good way to start to get familiar with the tri-state area.

Many towns in Westchester County in NY and lower Fairfield County in CT would satisfy your needs. Mamaroneck, Rye Brook, Rye, Scarsdale, Greenwich, Stamford come to mind. I don't know NJ very well and I'd avoid Long Island because it is so congested.

Check out greatschools.net for info on schools in those towns.

Good luck.

Old 02-25-2007, 08:05 AM

8,900 posts, read 14,934,166 times
Long Island isn't so bad, what's so bad about it? Just has a higher cost of living, basically. The schools are great.

Old 02-25-2007, 09:19 AM

Thank you! My husband will be seeing clients in the city, but travelling a lot by air. So we need to be near Newark, JFk, etc.

It's something to get used to, possibly living in a different state than the one he works in. Like living in CT but working in NYC. Such differences between states, like tax structures. Feels complicated!

Old 02-25-2007, 12:51 PM

150 posts, read 776,819 times
Taxes and the tri-state area are really fun - NJ/NY/CT rank in the top 5 most heavily taxed states in the US. Where they really excel is "double-dipping". Earn your money in NY and live in CT and both hold their hands out for income taxes. Until recently even NYC managed to get into the act until Giiuliani overstepped his bounds (which he did all the time, but this time he got caught). As a vote getter he tried to relieve NY'ers of income tax in NYC, leaving commuters to pay the tax. However, the courts said "do it for one and you have to do it for all", so rather than give up his votes he took a $250MM hit on revenues.
Common belief in the US is the Europeans pay far more taxes than they do - it's because they rarely add up all the taxes into one lump sum - Federal and State income taxes, sales taxes, county - town and village property taxes, sewage and water taxes, social security taxes, car and license taxes, and so on. Be prepared for a tax bite of at least 45% in total. Make sure the job includes medical insurance. and best of luck with the locals.

Old 02-25-2007, 05:45 PM

7,079 posts, read 36,838,332 times
I think you'll have a hard time finding a house in that price range in Rye, Rye Brook or even Scarsdale. New Jersey or further up in Westchester might be a better bet.

Old 02-26-2007, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
I think you'll have a hard time finding a house in that price range in Rye, Rye Brook or even Scarsdale. New Jersey or further up in Westchester might be a better bet.
Sorry, is this because the home price range I gave is too low for these areas (that's what I think you are saying)? Thanks.

Thanks, ExNYC, very interesting. Yes, the perception is that countries such as UK, Sweden, etc are 'ridiculously high' and the U.S. has massive tax advantages. Somewhat true, in that we do not have the number of exemptions and deductions common in the U.S. But! Property tax can make all the difference AND at least in Europe, you're getting universal health care.

Btw, yes, my husband's employer will be providing health coverage (med, dental, AD&D, all the usual stuff). And relocation.

We live in a very high cost of living area (greater London). The overall cost of living in most of upstate NY, for example, doesn't come close to our expenses here.

Thankfully, the depreciation of the dollar means we can bring our sterling over and be in a much better position than if we were simply moving from another U.S. state.

Nothing against LI, but we've been there before and I think we're looking for something different. My DH's employer says LI is 'too cut off' for it to be a good option for us. As much air travel as my husband will need to do, going through NY to get to the rest of the world makes living in LI not a good choice for us.

Old 02-26-2007, 08:08 AM

7,079 posts, read 36,838,332 times
First, yes, the houses in Rye, Rye Brook, etc. are generally more expensive.

If your husband's work is going to be in NYC but he's doing a lot of flying, LI is EASIER than Westchester, as JFK (and La Guardia) are both in Queens, which is the extreme western portion of LI. Neward is also accessible via Staten Island. I urge you to take a look at a map.

Old 02-26-2007, 08:44 AM

1,865 posts, read 5,127,144 times
Quote:
First, yes, the houses in Rye, Rye Brook, etc. are generally more expensive.

If your husband's work is going to be in NYC but he's doing a lot of flying, LI is EASIER than Westchester, as JFK (and La Guardia) are both in Queens, which is the extreme western portion of LI. Neward is also accessible via Staten Island. I urge you to take a look at a map.
Don't forget Westchester County Airport. Lots of businessmen travel all over the US from it. Depending on where your husband's travels will take him, it's another travel option for him.

BxRosie

Old 02-26-2007, 12:35 PM

Quote:
So far, I've searched in the following areas:

Larchmont, Mamamroneck, Rye, Rye Brook, Scarsdale, Pelham, Eastchester and Bronxville NY

Ridgefield, N. Stamford, Wilton, Redding, Greenwich, Fairfield, CT

and I'm not seeing many 4 bed in the $600k range. Lots of 3 beds, but that's too small for us. I see many 3 bed, 1 full bath for $700k and upwards. 4 bed for $1mil and up.

Is this what I should expect? We used to live in the SF Bay Area, saw a lot of 'not much home for the price' so at least in the NY and CT areas, you get some acreage with many of the homes. But the pricing is higher than we had expected.

We originally thought DH would be placed in a exurb of Boston. Some things are similar with high taxes, excellent schooling (in many places of MA), 3 bedroom home for $700k. But we were seeing more homes there for even the $550k and up range which are four bedroom and on a .5 to 1 acre. Not sure why I'm mentioning this, I guess we're comparing and trying to decide if DH should push back and try to get us in MA afterall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York