Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2008, 10:26 AM

22 posts, read 60,881 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are considering buying a home in Carmel or Brewster. We like Carmel's town with the size and the shops, the schools receive good statistical reviews, the houses are with good bargains. Brewster is commuting wise, easier to NYC, the housing bargains are better, the taxes are cheaper, but the schools are inferior statistically, the town is unknown to us, but some have said it isn't anything to rave about. An acquaintance of my wife who resides in Brewster and teaches there claims Brewster has received an unfair shake and that the town is pleasant and the schools are comparable, if not better to Carmel. I don't see this as an unbiased opinion though. Which home would have a better value? Brewster is more affordable for us but I would assume Carmel has the much higher value now and in the future. Again, we really liked the town of Carmel and Brewster is still unknown to us. Does anyone have any thoughts or opinions?
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2008, 11:25 AM

2,636 posts, read 7,429,511 times
You might get a better responce in the NY forum. Good luck!

Old 11-25-2008, 01:06 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,054,216 times
Yea post in the Westchester Forum.

Old 01-10-2010, 12:51 PM

5 posts, read 20,523 times
I don't know where you saw that Brewster schools were statistically inferior, but all the reports I've seen for all grades including the SAT's have Brewster schools near the top of the heap for all of Putnam County. I believe only Haldane, which is an incredibly small district may have some higher scores. FWIW, I lived in Carmel and now live in Brewster. Although some of the home prices in Brewster may be a touch higher, they more then make up for it with lower taxes. There were only 2 sales of homes over a $1m in eastern Putnam last year, both in Brewster (which is actually the Town of Southeast).

Last edited by Viralmd; 01-11-2010 at 12:22 PM.. Reason: NO signatures

Old 02-25-2010, 06:55 PM

5 posts, read 18,996 times
Both Brewster and Carmel are very nice towns and quite frankly the school systems are comparable. If you are an involved parent who watches what your child is doing, then you will have no problems in either school district. I will be perfectly honest with you about why people say Brewster schools aren't that good - - there are a lot of Mexicans and South Americans who live in Brewster and people will tell you that they bring the scores down. I will guess that if that is the case it is simply because many need to catch up with the English language because it certainly isn't a lack of work ethic or importance on education. There are a lot of "minorities" in Brewster because of the metro north train. It is accessible and the men hang out waiting for work along Main Street. It is an eyesore but I think Brewster has been working to resolve many of these social issues.

Just my thoughts.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:19 AM

475 posts, read 852,829 times
Yeah I'm from the area myself although I now reside in Virginia. I think both towns are fine in my opinion. Brewster has a high population of Mexicans but those folks are some of the hardest working people you'll ever want to meet. Bob's Diner is still alive and kicking, that place has been there forever. As a kid I grew up in Mahopac and in my opinion both Carmel and Brewster are a lot cleaner towns then Mahopac ever was. My favorite quaint little town in that area is Patterson.My dad still lives up there so I make the 7 hour drive from Virginia to go visit. Out of that whole area Westchester is probably the snobbiest, it was over run by yuppies long after I moved south many years ago. Northern Westchester is still very prett y and down to earth. West Point, Bear Mountain, still as breath taking as ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York