Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2008, 12:53 PM

1 posts, read 3,209 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are thinking of relocating to the Corning, NY area. We have only visited there once several years ago and it seemed really nice. We have a 7 year old so schools are important to us. Is it a nice place to raise a little boy?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2008, 08:15 PM

93,160 posts, read 123,754,884 times
It seems like it is a fine place to raise a young child. It's a small city of around 10,000 that has a nice downtown with shops on Market Street and Corning Incorporated has a big influence on the Corning-Painted Post area. They have the beautiful glass museum too. Here is some good information on the area:Corning Area Chamber of Commerce - corningny.com

Experience Corning, NY - Welcome to Corning, New York in the heart of the Finger Lakes Wine Country (experiencecorningny.com)

Corning Museum of Glass - Kids and Teens Free! (19 and under)

New York Tourism - Visit Corning and the Finger Lakes - FingerLakes NY - Winter vacation getaways for family travel.

Homepage - Corning, NY - The Corning Leader

Corning's Gaffer District - Corning, New York - Shopping - Entertainment - Museums - Food

Corning (city), New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Southeast Steuben County Library - Corning, NY

Home Page

CPP Website - Home

https://www.nystart.gov/publicweb/District.do?year=2007&county=STEUBEN&district=5710 00010000 (broken link)

Hope this helps.....

Old 12-10-2008, 08:15 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,213,292 times
if you can secure employment it's a fine place to raise a kid and live

i grew up in the area and although I was bored out of my mind at times and couldn't wait to leave - looking back it was a really good childhood

corning has a little more to do than my rural town did - closer access to the mall, an ice skating rink right in town, closer to the movie theater, etc ...... while still, for the most part, providing nice homes with a little bit of land for them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York