Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 08:07 PM

686 posts, read 1,699,125 times

Advertisements

I know western new york gets lake effect snow but what is the average snowfall for western new york?

does te long winter there keep people from commuting far from buffalo or rochester?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 11:39 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,545,947 times
In really depends where exactly in WNY you are talking about. I live in Hamburg, we typically get somewhere around 90-100 inches (though some years we can get 120 & others, like this year, we are lucky to get 70). Downtown Buffalo, only maybe 15 miles from my house, gets about 85-90. Amherst & the Northtowns (about 30 minutes from me) usually get 75-85 (though this year they got more than we did). Colden, about 15 miles SE of me, gets something like 150 inches/year.

Commuting isnt that big of a deal at all. Buffalo's traffic isnt that bad to begin with so the snow is usually little more than a minor nuisance as long as its not a blizzard type storm. If you work downtown or on the NW side & live in the Southtowns commuting can be a pain when they close the Skyway (which turns 190 & South Park Ave into parking lots) but otherwise it typically only adds a few minutes to your drive.

I lived in Malone for a few years & commuted to Plattsburgh .... now that was a nightmare (mainly because they never started taking care of the roads until 6am, which was the time I had to be at work). I had my fair share of 2.5- 3 hour drives.

Last edited by jblake78728; 04-30-2010 at 11:48 PM..

Old 05-01-2010, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblake78728 View Post
In really depends where exactly in WNY you are talking about. I live in Hamburg, we typically get somewhere around 90-100 inches (though some years we can get 120 & others, like this year, we are lucky to get 70). Downtown Buffalo, only maybe 15 miles from my house, gets about 85-90. Amherst & the Northtowns (about 30 minutes from me) usually get 75-85 (though this year they got more than we did). Colden, about 15 miles SE of me, gets something like 150 inches/year.

Commuting isnt that big of a deal at all. Buffalo's traffic isnt that bad to begin with so the snow is usually little more than a minor nuisance as long as its not a blizzard type storm. If you work downtown or on the NW side & live in the Southtowns commuting can be a pain when they close the Skyway (which turns 190 & South Park Ave into parking lots) but otherwise it typically only adds a few minutes to your drive.

I lived in Malone for a few years & commuted to Plattsburgh .... now that was a nightmare (mainly because they never started taking care of the roads until 6am, which was the time I had to be at work). I had my fair share of 2.5- 3 hour drives.
How far does the average person commute to buffalo?

do people commute from batavia?

Old 05-01-2010, 03:41 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,817,172 times
I live half way between Buffalo & Batavia and we commuted to Buffalo, on the roads most of the way and a bit on the expressway. If you got on the Thruway in Batavia and went to Buffalo, it is not far; actually, it is easier to commute on the Thruway that from where we live -- in farm country where you need to go about 7 miles to get near an expressway. Totally feasible commute if you wanted to.

Old 05-01-2010, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post
I live half way between Buffalo & Batavia and we commuted to Buffalo, on the roads most of the way and a bit on the expressway. If you got on the Thruway in Batavia and went to Buffalo, it is not far; actually, it is easier to commute on the Thruway that from where we live -- in farm country where you need to go about 7 miles to get near an expressway. Totally feasible commute if you wanted to.

but your still in erie county right?

Old 05-01-2010, 08:48 PM

1,214 posts, read 2,325,989 times
People in NY are tough. If we got the same storm that DC got (we did get one of similar size) nothing would be shut down for more than a day.

Old 05-01-2010, 10:23 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,545,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adirondackguy123 View Post
but your still in erie county right?
I know people from Wyoming, Cattaragus, Chautauqua & Niagara that work in Erie County, I'm sure there are some from Gennessee as well. What exactly is your point?

Old 05-02-2010, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblake78728 View Post
I know people from Wyoming, Cattaragus, Chautauqua & Niagara that work in Erie County, I'm sure there are some from Gennessee as well. What exactly is your point?

just seems like a pretty far commute especially in the winter.

Old 05-02-2010, 09:41 AM

69 posts, read 187,532 times
People here do it all the time. Quite honestly, we don't get as much snow as the media would have you believe. I don't have the source, but I recall reading a couple of years ago that Syracuse consistently wins the race for the most snow each year. If you're traveling along the lake, be aware of the potential for lake effect snow and black ice, but otherwise, just another day on the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adirondackguy123 View Post
just seems like a pretty far commute especially in the winter.

Old 05-03-2010, 06:07 PM

726 posts, read 2,148,235 times
Yeah Buffalo doesn't get much snow, especially compared to the Arctic Circle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York