U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2008, 01:26 PM

10 posts, read 307,138 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are considering moving from NYC to Rhinebeck Village. I would commute approximately 4 days a week into Manhattan on Amtrak.

I'm curious if anyone can tell me what it's like to live in Rhinebeck Village. What is the community like? Friendly? Does it get boring? If anyone else has moved from NYC to Rhinebeck, I'd love to hear how your experience has been. We are concerned about such a drastic change, but have loved visiting the village, and like that the area doesn't feel suburban. We've lived in downtown Manhattan for years, are in our 30s, and are looking to live somewhere with a strong community experience, we want to know our neighbors, live in an artistic community, and be able to walk to shopping, restaurants, etc.

And if anyone commutes daily into Manhattan, on Amtrak, how has that been for you?

Thanks for any help

Last edited by empire; 12-14-2008 at 01:40 PM.. Reason: Clarity
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2008, 01:57 PM

2,017 posts, read 4,970,145 times
Get ready for culture shock. Living in Rhinebeck is different then visiting once in awhile. The traffic in the village is bad Thursday-Sunday and forget about fair week.
I used to own a house in the village and I loved Rhinebeck, but the traffic and weekenders, well after awhile it wasn't worth it and the taxes are crazy.Unless it has changed there isn't much to choose from in the form of nightlife. Most places closed down years ago when the DWI laws became so strict.
Rhinebeck isn't suburbia. I'm a former upstater, I was never a transplant from the city. People are friendly but reserved. As long as you try to blend into the area and embrace it for its charm, you should do alright. But don't go bashing the way locals do things because then they get stubborn. The way things are done in Manhatten are done differently in Rhinebeck, embrace those differences and try to refrain from remarking on how "backwards" it is or how the town doesn't have this or that, that you can get anywhere south of White Plains.Those kind of comments will not endear you to the locals.
Also I'm sure you already realize the pace of life is drastically different then what you are used to. You won't find the vibe and energy of Manhatten in Rhinebeck. Are you prepared to drive over to Kingston or up to Albany for finer shopping?
Whatever you decide, I wish you all the best.
Pam

Old 12-14-2008, 02:24 PM

136 posts, read 731,891 times
I used to live in Manhattan and now live in Rhinebeck. However, I got to Rhinebeck in a roundabout fashion: Manhattan -> Rye Brook (Port Chester in those days) -> Troy, NY -> Box elder, SD -> Peekskill, NY -> Kingston, NY -> Rhinebeck. All this took place from Dec 1958 to Feb 1987.

I never liked big cities, so I considered Manhattan the worst place I ever lived (worse even than Troy), and Rhinebeck is perhaps the best place. I don't get bored here, but then I never was a big fan of night clubs, restaurants, movie theaters, fancy stores, etc.

If you want to avoid the traffic (especially Fair Week) just stay off Route 9 -- come in the back way, either east or Wset of town, depending on where you are.

Old 12-23-2008, 08:16 AM

2 posts, read 49,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by empire View Post
My wife and I are considering moving from NYC to Rhinebeck Village. I would commute approximately 4 days a week into Manhattan on Amtrak.

I'm curious if anyone can tell me what it's like to live in Rhinebeck Village. What is the community like? Friendly? Does it get boring? If anyone else has moved from NYC to Rhinebeck, I'd love to hear how your experience has been. We are concerned about such a drastic change, but have loved visiting the village, and like that the area doesn't feel suburban. We've lived in downtown Manhattan for years, are in our 30s, and are looking to live somewhere with a strong community experience, we want to know our neighbors, live in an artistic community, and be able to walk to shopping, restaurants, etc.

And if anyone commutes daily into Manhattan, on Amtrak, how has that been for you?

Thanks for any help
We moved to Rhinebeck about 6 years ago from Croton-on-Hudson. We love it here and although it is not Manhattan, you can be in NYC in 2 hrs if you need/want to. We live in the Village, can walk to the shops, restaurants, Upstate Films, etc.... Sure the traffic can be a little much, be the way we feel is that all the people who love to visit Rhinebeck, help support our little village so we get to live in this prosperous and beautiful place all year round. We are a destination point and our family and friends love to come visit us. We recently participated in the Sinterklaas Celebration. That was the ultimate experience of the arts and community in the Hudson Valley. See Sinterklaas: An Old Dutch Tradition in Rhinebeck, NY, December 6, 2008 Best of luck in your decision making.

Old 01-06-2009, 12:03 AM

Thanks for the helpful responses.

We're not too concerned about the traffic, particularly moving from the city. We also felt that the taxes actually seem low, in comparison to other areas like Westchester and much of New Jersey, which seem to have much higher taxes.

sstevens120, The Sinterklass celebration looks amazing, that was great to read about, thank you. And that you enjoy walking to the shops, restaurants, etc., is one of the main reasons that we too are interested in the village.

Does anyone commute on a daily basis from Rhinebeck to Manhattan? I'd love to hear how that commute is from someone who does it regularly, and if you feel it's worth it.

And any thoughts on the real estate prices in the village? I'm somewhat new to looking at prices there, but they still seem a bit high in comparison to what we've looked at elsewhere (closer to NYC), particularly given the current economy. But perhaps I'm wrong, and would welcome any help here.

Thanks!

Old 01-07-2009, 09:09 AM

2 posts, read 49,993 times
Hi Empire, I am a real estate broker working in Dutchess/Putnam/N. Westchester. Prices in Rhinebeck and Millbrook tend to be higher. It's similar to the relationship of buying in Chappaqua or Briarcliff in Westchester County or Garrison in Putnam County. The homes hold there value better. That doesn't mean we haven't been affected by the market conditions, we have. Rhinebeck is a small community without a huge inventory of homes for sale. There are surrounding communities which are more affordable, but don't offer quick access to Amtrak, the ambience, shops, restaurants & amenities Rhinebeck does. Moderator cut: realtor soliciting

Last edited by bellafinzi; 01-07-2009 at 03:57 PM..

Old 05-26-2009, 12:31 PM

12 posts, read 177,872 times
Hello, it has been some time since your posting so there is a chance you already moved out of New York. I read this thread last night whilst browsing the Rhinebeck village data and thought I had to express my feelings on your dilemma.It seemed to me that you really liked Rhinebeck (mind you, I have never been there, lived on Lexington & 57th_Allerton House_ for some months back in 1989 after returning from a stay in Madrid, Spain), and I truly felt that you only TRUE concern was the two hour commute every day to and from work. The key thing to know in your heart here is: do you love what you do for work? If you do not, then chances are, this commute will become OLD very fast. Please don't get me wrong. Just try and reflect on this. Loving your job/career or not is the one factor of stimulus to help you endure, even enjoy your daily commute. If you love your job, love the quiet country living, and has a bit of patience, then, why not? Think of all you can catch up on whilst riding the train every day. If your job involves a lot of reading, especially! Secondly, I have to say that any and every place can become "boring after a while". Your asking "Does it get boring?" seems typical of someone who has never spent any lengthy period in the country, the archetype big city dweller. There is a lot of romance in dreaming of escaping the "urban chaos", however, I feel it is not for just anyone who has the dream. "Pastoral romance" has its sets of very distinctive realities, as well put by the posters here (culture shock, indeed). The current "artsy-cafe-au-lait" scene in Rhinebeck does not seem to hide the true rural nature of the area if you ask me, so New Yorkers need to think hard before packing.Ideally someone like you would have a country home in the area but continue to live in Manhattan, do the vacation/weekends in Rhinebeck for a couple of years, then you would truly know whether you want to leave the city behind and take the leap. Question is: can you afford this life style? A bit about me:Was born and raised in Brazil. My father is German-French-Portuguese, my mom is Italian-African-Catalan, both Brazilian born. All my life I lived in a [growing] city, spent summers at the beach and most winters at the farm out of state or in the mountains of Petropolis. I grew to know well [and appreciate] both life styles, drinking milk straight from the cow @ five in the morning, enjoying lazy all day stays at the beach, or, absorbing the terrific hussle-bussle of metro Rio de Janeiro across the bay from my hometown. I find that to be an ideal upbringing; I can survive ANYWHERE.Now, I am currently back in Brazil, but lived in Long Beach for almost twenty years. Los Angeles county is a commute nightmare. Even though I personally never had to commute, there are hordes of folks there who do, and most people complain. Then again, most people hate their jobs... Every now and again I would meet someone who commuted and accepted it. See, they absolutely LOVED their jobs... so, think heavily about this.I have also spent time in Datchet, near Windsor, UK. Another lil village outside London, and A LOT of Londoners are moving to lil places just far enough for a commute to work, mostly due to the London cost of living, crime, congenstion. I walked from the village to Windsor via Eaton college every day, along the river (Thames) and it was DREAMY.If you love the country (you can't just "kinda like it") and you love your job. then I say DO IT, or you will spend the rest of your life in the "what if" mode.Lastly, lets not forget your wife, is she on the same page here? She must be exactly in synch with you on this issue or... divorce will ensue...Good grief, the Cordts mansion is for sale for two point seven mil...*sigh* What a dream! I wish I was living in Rhinebeck or anywhere near right now. Seems lovely to me.

Old 08-04-2009, 08:06 PM

9 posts, read 44,623 times
I'd love to hear the latest on your plans, especially if you have moved.

I was in Rhinebeck today and was taken by the place and started searching for more info (which lead me here again).

A monthly commuter ticket on Amtrak is $600 aprox. However you can get a 10-Trip Ticket (5 return trips) for about $260. I estimate that if I were to work from home 2 days a week, the 10-Trip Ticket might be better, but not by a huge amount

You can claim up to $230 a month in commuter tax benefit for that, and up tot he same amount for Parking costs related to commuting.
(Source: Commuter Tax Benefits Summary Table)

My big concerns right now, if we were to move are:
- We'd need a car which means car-loan, gas, insurance (plus I'd need to learn how to drive again)
- Savings in rent seem to be offset by commuting costs
- We don't know anyone there!
- My wife would be giving up her job in NYC and no guarantee of picking it up there (in the area she wants) so there is that loss of income.

On the plus:
- Part of rental costs would be tax-deductible by small margin since working form home
- Out of NYC
- Good schools

I'm not concerned by the 1hr 40 min average commute time each way - though today the Amtrak Train was delayed by an hour on our return (this is not that big of a deal for me as I can work from almost anywhere with my laptop, but it might be for others)

So some questions for those of you in Rhinebeck:

- What are the social options for some nice, out-going, parents in the 30-35 age bracket?
- What are the daycare options in Rhinebeck and whats the general ball-park costs?
- Suggestions on good Realtor/agencies to ask about rentals in Rhinebeck town itself (looking for referrals, not to hear from agents directly here)

Thoughts, comments appreciated!

Old 08-06-2009, 09:46 PM

5,636 posts, read 6,436,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstar View Post

I was in Rhinebeck today and was taken by the place and started searching for more info (which lead me here again).

A monthly commuter ticket on Amtrak is $600 aprox. However you can get a 10-Trip Ticket (5 return trips) for about $260. I estimate that if I were to work from home 2 days a week, the 10-Trip Ticket might be better, but not by a huge amount

You can claim up to $230 a month in commuter tax benefit for that, and up tot he same amount for Parking costs related to commuting.

- We'd need a car which means car-loan, gas, insurance (plus I'd need to learn how to drive again)
- My wife would be giving up her job in NYC and no guarantee of picking it up there (in the area she wants) so there is that loss of income.

On the plus:
- Part of rental costs would be tax-deductible by small margin since working form home
- Out of NYC
- Good schools

I'm not concerned by the 1hr 40 min average commute time each way - though today the Amtrak Train was delayed by an hour on our return (this is not that big of a deal for me as I can work from almost anywhere with my laptop, but it might be for others)

- What are the social options for some nice, out-going, parents in the 30-35 age bracket?
- What are the daycare options in Rhinebeck and whats the general ball-park costs?
- Suggestions on good Realtor/agencies to ask about rentals in Rhinebeck town itself (looking for referrals, not to hear from agents directly here)

The bottom line is that relocating to Rhinebeck doesn't make sense financially. One car may not be enough. You may need two. However, if you can keep your work in the area with no need to commute to the city, it may work well.
In my opinion the major factor in your decision is what kind of life you want to live with your family, not if you save money.
If you are a city person, forget about it. Visiting is not like living there permanently.
However, if a quiet life with more nature and being surrounded by less people makes you happy, go for it.

Old 08-20-2009, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstar View Post

On the plus:
- Out of NYC
- Good schools

I'm the OP, and haven't made the move to Rhinebeck yet, though am still considering it. We have gone through a similar thought process as you have above. Two things seem to keep us from pulling the trigger - 1. The Commute. 2. The inflated house prices in Rhinebeck / lack of attractive Village homes on the market.

The commute isn't terrible, and like you, I also can work on my laptop. But at best, it's 3.5 hours a day - probably more like 4 hours. That's a lot, any way you slice it.

And for the life of me, I can't figure out why Rhinebeck home prices are so high. They've come down some, but for a city so far outside of New York, and with the economy taking a toll on the second home market, it just seems like there should be better deals in the Village. (We're not as interested in living outside of town, as we want to maintain a walkable lifestyle).

There are cheaper deals to be had in towns closer to NYC (have been eyeing New Paltz, Ossining, Beacon, and a few others), with shorter commutes, and even towns on the Metro North line. However, I can't find a town I like as much as Rhinebeck.

Keep us posted on your decision to move or not to move...

And I would LOVE to hear experiences of anyone who commutes daily from Rhinebeck to NYC...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York