Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2007, 08:01 AM

41,951 posts, read 75,153,734 times

Advertisements

Hello, all ... I'm a regular traveler from Philadelphia to Erie, Pa., and am sick to death of Interstate 80. A friend of mine suggested I-86/Southern Tier Expressway, and I was wondering if anyone could give me some more information. Are there still spots where the highway isn't a true freeway, with some at-grade intersections? Any spots where the highway goes through towns, or are they all bypassed now? What about truck traffic? How's the terrain -- hilly, flat, in between?

Any help you all could give me would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2007, 02:30 PM

172 posts, read 846,779 times

I-86, when completed, will run from about Erie to the NYC suburbs. However, that will be when it is completed. currently, it runs from about Horseheads, NY to Erie (the dark red line on this map). The unfinished portion is the light red line. The portion near Erie is supposed to be relatively flat, but the area near Elmira is quite hilly. I think NY-17 and I-86 are the same thing, but portions of NY-17 haven't been upgraded to interstate specification, which is why the road isn't complete.

Old 06-19-2007, 05:21 PM

142 posts, read 811,067 times
Ta-dump, ta-dump...I drove Route 17 (future 86) for many years, throughout college and then as an adult. Route 17 is mind numbingly monotonous, and all we remember is the sound of the raised ares on the roads, thus the ta-dump. All that said, I guess I would take it over the thruway, but only slightly. In the snow season, it can be a bear with single lanes and whiteout conditions.
Joanne

Old 06-19-2007, 07:35 PM

89 posts, read 564,739 times
I live in Elmira and Intersate 86 and Route 17 go right through it. The little spot on the map Vicarian gave that shows where the highway turns from red solid to dotted is Horseheads, NY. This part of I-86 will be complete in about a month when 2 highway overpasses that go over the town of Horseheads are finished. This should make it even better. I agree on all the trips I have taken and Have been on this highway, it does go "ta-dump, ta-dump". It is probably a quicker and better way of traveling for you though.

Old 06-20-2007, 01:10 PM

41,951 posts, read 75,153,734 times
Thanks for the info! I'm looking forward to exploring a new route.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
View detailed profiles of: