Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 01:09 AM

25 posts, read 99,810 times

Advertisements

I am moving under unusual circumstances: I work online and can basically, live anywhere I choose. I have always loved the Southern Tier of New York, but the cities and people themselves are far too small and conservative (I'm a jazzbo hipster...I can admit it). I live in Niagara Falls and have always hated how flat and industrialized it is in this area. I love snow and cold weather, so I would also like to live in an area (in the northeast) that gets both. I have discussed my living options a great deal, and many people have told me that Ithaca would be idea. I tend to agree with these sentiments, but fear that I might prefer a city that is a little bigger. If anyone could suggest a city in the northeast that is like Ithaca, but bigger, I would greatly appreciate it. I realize that this might be asking too much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2007, 07:59 AM

3,483 posts, read 9,389,853 times
How big of a city are you looking for? While Ithaca would fit the bill, Burlington, VT would as well. You might also like Portland, ME. All are great cities.

Old 03-02-2007, 06:24 PM

Buffalo is too big for me. I've always like the size of Niagara Falls, just not the look and feel of it.

P.S. Is'nt Burlington only a little bigger (like 40,000) than Ithaca?

Old 03-02-2007, 07:47 PM

282 posts, read 1,261,802 times
I can only speak for Ithaca, not other places like it. I really don't think there is any other place like it!

Ithaca is alot bigger than what you might think. Not really in the literal term, but in the term that everything that you are looking for in a place to live, it has.

There's the downtown area, then there's the area "on the hill". Which is actually considered to be Lansing, but is an extension of ithaca.

Personally speaking, I don't like Ithaca at all. People are just "too earthy" for my liking. Not that it's a bad thing, but it's just not for me. My brother loves Ithaca. But he's into that kind of thing.

I really think it is the type of area that you're looking for, though.

Good luck!

Old 03-02-2007, 08:15 PM

Yeah, I love "earthy places". I also got the impression that it is very artistic and free-thinking (in Ithaca) which always struck me as special for the northeast. I am just wondering if Ithaca is just another college town--a wonderful place to go to school at, but no place to really live. I have lived in college towns before; they seem like utopia, but no one is a real resident there. They are basically like conveyer belts of people moving in and out every 4 to 8 years and any permanent residents are either under 18 or over 35.

I was also wondering about places like Manchester/Concord NH and Hartford CT. They seem very cosmopolitan, but very conservative and fast paced. Is this assumption correct? Portland seems very intriguing as well. Anyone have some opinions of Portland.

Last edited by softmachine; 03-02-2007 at 08:30 PM..

Old 03-03-2007, 09:08 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,688,469 times
Ithaca
New Haven CT
Burlington

Old 03-03-2007, 09:45 AM

282 posts, read 1,261,802 times
softmachine~

Ithaca is unique in that the colleges are just one aspect of it. Living there year round, it really is a beautiful and vibrant place.

Cornell is basically it's own little city, which can get a little hectic during the school year, but is another unique place to visit whether school is in session or not.

While I don't like Ithaca for myself, as I said, I am a little biased toward this area. I really do believe that Ithaca is what you're looking for in a place to live.

Old 03-03-2007, 02:46 PM

2,171 posts, read 3,306,588 times
Portland is a great smaller city, and very attractive imo. However, it is a bit isolated, even more so than Ithaca.

Maybe you could spend a weekend in Ithaca in the summer, visit the Farmer's Market, go to a couple of art galleries, see some of the natural wonders, and spend some time on the Commons. Might convince you that it's the place you find fits you.

Old 03-03-2007, 04:39 PM

172 posts, read 845,051 times
I have to agree with Ex-Ithacan. Portland is a wonderful place, if but a bit isolated.

http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/923/0000906kb7.jpg (broken link)

This is Ithaca's downtown. You can just see the art museum on Cornell campus on the right side of the photo. This photo is a little old, because the garage in the foregound is being renovated at the moment.
If you get the chance, you should take a week or two during the summer and have a "grand tour" of the northeast, and the cities you might be interested in moving to(Ithaca but larger...? Maybe Burlington would be a good place to consider). There are many beautiful places to choose from in this region, and if you look hard enough, you'll find a place that is right for you .

Old 03-04-2007, 01:56 AM

First, I would like to say that these responses are extremely timely and informative. Second, I would like to know how Portland is more isolated than Ithaca. It is considerably larger and is very close to Manchester and Boston. To me, it always seemed like the New England coast could be its own state, being completely distinct from its rustic conterparts in the mainland--and the mainland areas of ME, NH, VT, and Mass. in turn, being just as similiar economically, socially, and politically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York