U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 10:16 AM

1,316 posts, read 4,894,406 times

Advertisements

You're totally deluded. "fiscal conservatives that do not believe in big government" simply believe in high across-the-board taxes that hit the middle class, low to no taxes for the rich, and no services. Go ahead and move to a state with lower taxes. You'll also have much worse public schools, lousy hospitals and health services, poor roads, and a lousy infrastructure. (Texas, for example, is the 49th state in terms of education.) "Fiscal conservatives" don't care about services because they are only worried about the rich, who can afford to buy everything they need. I hate paying taxes, but I'll do it as long as those who have more money are paying a lot more than I am and as long as I am getting schools and services in return.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2008, 10:40 AM

151 posts, read 684,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dma1250 View Post
You're totally deluded. "fiscal conservatives that do not believe in big government" simply believe in high across-the-board taxes that hit the middle class, low to no taxes for the rich, and no services. Go ahead and move to a state with lower taxes. You'll also have much worse public schools, lousy hospitals and health services, poor roads, and a lousy infrastructure. (Texas, for example, is the 49th state in terms of education.) "Fiscal conservatives" don't care about services because they are only worried about the rich, who can afford to buy everything they need. I hate paying taxes, but I'll do it as long as those who have more money are paying a lot more than I am and as long as I am getting schools and services in return.
Talk about delusions, geez. Let me guess, your knowledge of politics comes from only watching 24 hour news channels and reading the Huffington Post.Your statement is historically inaccurate but I understand you just cannot help yourself with your blind hatred of anything labeled Conservative.

Thus I believe your blanket technically inaccurate statement is about Neo-Conservatives which is the opposite of fiscal Conservatives. The two have nothing in common other than using the keyword "Conservative" but you would not know that if your entire political beliefs come from NBC news which just labels them all in the same group.

Neo-Conservatives make up the Bush administration and those that control the Republican party. These are typically the folks that are the target of liberal and fiscal conservative hatred. Speaking as a fiscal Conservative we probably have in common the dislike some of the same people in office.

Old 12-31-2008, 11:19 AM

I am well versed in the difference between fiscal conservatives and neo conservatives. When it comes to taxation and spending, there is little difference. The only difference is that fiscal cons would not spend trillions on a holly war in Iraq or billions on socializing the financial industry. But when it comes to lowering taxes on the rich, raising them on the middle-class, and cutting services the differences between the two disappear. There is of course a huge difference between the two types of cons when it comes to social policy, but that is a different story.

I hate liberal rags like the Huffington post and I never watch cable news, thanks. In fact, I disdain almost everything liberal. You assume that because I hate conservative tax-the poor-and-give-to-the-rich policies that I am a liberal, but you are totally wrong. But that is not surprising.

Old 12-31-2008, 12:04 PM

Quote:
...You assume that because I hate conservative tax-the poor-and-give-to-the-rich policies .....
That would be oxymoron since the politician or politicians you have the problem with are in fact not conservative if that is their policies.

Perhaps you are speaking of those that call themselves something they are not. In that case I believe the comment should be "I hate those that pretend to be conservative but have tax-the poor-and-give-to-the-rich policies".

If that is the case then I would I agree with you since the middle class and poor will be picking up the tab for socializing and bailing out what was the free markets. But I again I would not call those politicians that do so conservative.

Old 12-31-2008, 01:43 PM

2,394 posts, read 3,765,090 times
Quote:
(Texas, for example, is the 49th state in terms of education.)
Could you tell me how that was measured? Or where it came from?

Old 12-31-2008, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post
Could you tell me how that was measured? Or where it came from?
It is based on performance on standardized tests. I honestly can't recall the source. I personally don't believe test results tell you much about school quality, but when the results are that low across a state it does tell you there is a problem. When you consider that New York's results include those of the NYC schools (which are supposedly sub-par) and yet the state is still one of the best, that tells you something too.

Old 12-31-2008, 06:45 PM

Quote:
It is based on performance on standardized tests. I honestly can't recall the source. I personally don't believe test results tell you much about school quality, but when the results are that low across a state it does tell you there is a problem. When you consider that New York's results include those of the NYC schools (which are supposedly sub-par) and yet the state is still one of the best, that tells you something too.
Texas actually scored higher than NY overall coming in at 26, while NY is 32.

2007 Report on American Education.
http://www.alec.org/am/pdf/2007_ALEC_Education_Report_Card.pdf (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York