U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2008, 10:31 PM

3,852 posts, read 12,206,022 times

Advertisements

YouTube - NYC Governor Plans Unique New Taxes

Good time to start cutting that spending!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2008, 01:13 PM

551 posts, read 779,220 times
Cut Spending!!! HA... Right

It's much easier to pick our pockets for that money than to dip into his slush fund... Who the hell elected this guy anyway.... That's right.. NOBODY!

Old 12-17-2008, 01:40 PM

686 posts, read 876,317 times
many taxes and fees are going up. Star is to be cut
YET wellfare checks are going up 10%

Old 12-17-2008, 01:50 PM

1,293 posts, read 4,593,525 times
We have to cut spending to cut taxes. Can't have your cake and eat it too. I say NO more tax hikes!

Old 12-17-2008, 02:32 PM

275 posts, read 729,372 times
Default Re: New York Governor...

Well, for quite a while, I have been going back and forth about possible retirement locales. Originally being from NY, I held a special fondness for the upstate area. Even the weather didn't seem to deter me. However, after all the increased taxes and fees were announced, there is simply no way I could ever go back home. NY is indeed a beautiful state. If the politicians were able to exhibit some fiscal responsibility, maybe things would be different. That, and the circus around naming another Kennedy as a US Senator will probably tilt me towards more reasonable states such as TN, NC or VA. For all those who are left behind and cannot leave for whatever reasons, my sympathies to you. It really bothers me how your governor is sticking it to the taxpayer.

Old 12-17-2008, 03:36 PM

1,108 posts, read 3,942,323 times
Default No Place 2 Live!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post

YouTube - NYC Governor Plans Unique New Taxes

Good time to start cutting that spending!
No one wants to live in NY anymore......that is why 50% of our youth - 18-25 year olds - are not returning after they go and or graduate from college...like many people have said..."It's a great place to make money - but you just can't afford to retire"

Old 12-17-2008, 04:45 PM

1,293 posts, read 4,593,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty78 View Post
No one wants to live in NY anymore......that is why 50% of our youth - 18-25 year olds - are not returning after they go and or graduate from college...like many people have said..."It's a great place to make money - but you just can't afford to retire"
Personally I want to still want to live in NY. I have found from living in other states and coming back that I really never gained nor lost anything due to cost of living. (mainly from the nice housing prices we have).

However, the only thing the irks me about this state is the taxes. We really need to think about what we want, pleasure and leisure at the cost of the tax payer or some businesses that can afford to stay in the area. Raleigh is a city for all practical reasons doesn't even have a downtown, has long wait times in traffic and high housing costs (unless your in the sticks), but people flock there because new business can afford to setup shop there.

Old 12-17-2008, 05:31 PM

585 posts, read 2,103,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese9988 View Post
Personally I want to still want to live in NY. I have found from living in other states and coming back that I really never gained nor lost anything due to cost of living. (mainly from the nice housing prices we have).

However, the only thing the irks me about this state is the taxes. We really need to think about what we want, pleasure and leisure at the cost of the tax payer or some businesses that can afford to stay in the area. Raleigh is a city for all practical reasons doesn't even have a downtown, has long wait times in traffic and high housing costs (unless your in the sticks), but people flock there because new business can afford to setup shop there.
Having just moved here from the front range of Colorado, I can agree. Snow removal is better here, home prices are more affordable, teachers and cops are paid better, tons of state parks everywhere. All that costs something.

Sure, a lot of tax revenue falls into hands that don't really need it. Being new here I'm starting to see that a little bit.

Old 12-17-2008, 05:56 PM

92 posts, read 284,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese9988 View Post
Raleigh is a city for all practical reasons doesn't even have a downtown, has long wait times in traffic and high housing costs (unless your in the sticks), but people flock there because new business can afford to setup shop there.
That right there.... What you just said..., is what die-hard New Yorkers don't get. That is what a business owner like myself look for in a city. Prosperity, life, business everywhere, jobs. Cheese the thing is that you said it ("new business can afford to set up there"). Not just because taxes are low but because it can thrive because it will have thousands of customers that can buy stuff. Why? because not all their money goes to tax after tax after new tax like NY has.

Old 12-18-2008, 06:14 PM

551 posts, read 779,220 times
The crazy thing is that all those young people fleeing NY will eventually elect more tax and spend politicians.... If we could keep the Gov. out of social issues maybe folks will start voting with their brains instead of their hearts...

Hopefully those of us left in NY will elect some politicians who respect we the people.

I can't wait for Rudy to come and kick that squatter out of Albany!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York