Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2008, 08:40 AM

1,602 posts, read 4,159,635 times

Advertisements

How many fat people did you see today? Did your postman come waddling onto your property with legs that looked more like kabobs?

Well, help may be on the way if NY has its way ...

Fat tax, also known as "Twinkie tax", "junk food tax," and "snack tax," is a tax on calorie-dense, nutrient-poor foods. The tax has been proposed as one means to address the obesity problem. The consumption of junk food is supposed to decline if it becomes more expensive. The revenue from the tax would be used to promote healthy nutrition and anti-obesity programs.

Now, in my honest opinion- This seems to be a violation of ones choice of freedom. Additionally, it could hurt the food industry and cause layoffs. If people want to eat, let them eat !

I do find this entertaining this story- And, doubtful it will pass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 08:28 AM

1,122 posts, read 2,316,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImCurlybelle View Post
How many fat people did you see today? Did your postman come waddling onto your property with legs that looked more like kabobs?

Well, help may be on the way if NY has its way ...

Fat tax, also known as "Twinkie tax", "junk food tax," and "snack tax," is a tax on calorie-dense, nutrient-poor foods. The tax has been proposed as one means to address the obesity problem. The consumption of junk food is supposed to decline if it becomes more expensive. The revenue from the tax would be used to promote healthy nutrition and anti-obesity programs.

Now, in my honest opinion- This seems to be a violation of ones choice of freedom. Additionally, it could hurt the food industry and cause layoffs. If people want to eat, let them eat !

I do find this entertaining this story- And, doubtful it will pass.
As with one of our other "choices" of freedom, to spend way more of peoples taxes on medical bills from the multiple medical problems that arise from obesity.

Education, education, education. I think that it starts in schools, sharing with children a wider range of food, and getting rid of the junk food in them. Our grocery stores also have a minimal variety in the produce department with items that grow easily like tomatoes over priced. Then if they gave tax breaks to the junk food companies if they came up with truly healthy snacks, and tax breaks to companies who sell these products who sit out free samples, advertise the products heavily and balance the junk food with better choices. Problem is, with so many allergies out there, "healthy" isn't so easy for companies to do but if they had an incentive to try maybe they'd lay off soy and potatoes in everything.

Old 06-16-2009, 07:14 PM

622 posts, read 1,724,051 times
I'm not sure that:
a) anyone's fatness is the government's business
b) the government doesn't do such a great job on the many things it tries to accomplish now. Adding Empire State Fitness/Fatness Guru to the list - I'm sorry, it doesn't inspire much confidence.

Sounds like just another ploy to rake some dough into the black hole coffers of NY State. Getting trim is a great idea..they can start with the budget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York