Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 08:40 AM

151 posts, read 605,106 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

Have you switched your ESCO to someone other than the regional delivery company. For Instance: Central Hudson, Con Ed or PSE&G?

I want to know if you have had a good experience with this and if your rates did indeed go down not only for the first month, but 6 months and beyond. Why do I ask? Well, recently there have been a number of calls coming into our office about this and after some research, all I can see is that the current rates charged by these non Public Utility Companies are all higher than the current rate charged by the Public Utility Company.

I do see that the introductory rate offered by the telemarketers calling on the behalf of these private, unregulated companies are always lower by anywhere from a penny or two, but when I call the company directly, the current rate is higher. I have also found it impossible for these private companies to give me a past history of their monthly rates so I can truly see if they have been cheaper over a 12 month period as compared to my current company over 12 months.

I did get one company to do a spread sheet, but they used the current rate as a 12 month figure even though they are not offering a lock in at that price. To me this is deceptive!

So what has your experience been like? Also is anyone specifically using Ambit? They don't service my area, but I have been told that they are the only ones that offer a guaranteed savings. Is it true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2008, 06:07 PM

77 posts, read 238,904 times
These types of companies are the most notorious scammers in the world. Everyone rails against them, from the media to politicians, because their is no magic in their ways, all they do is take charge of your account from the utility, add a mark up and bill you.

Old 12-19-2008, 06:25 PM

417 posts, read 1,891,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallbaro View Post
These types of companies are the most notorious scammers in the world. Everyone rails against them, from the media to politicians, because their is no magic in their ways, all they do is take charge of your account from the utility, add a mark up and bill you.
Implying that staying with NYSEG or whomever the 'delivery' utility is is the best bet?

Old 12-20-2008, 12:42 PM

151 posts, read 605,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychrome View Post
Implying that staying with NYSEG or whomever the 'delivery' utility is is the best bet?

Right, but just switching, YOU DO save the tax on the supply portion, not the deliver portion so there is a savings. Ambit DOES indeed guarantee you a savings and they are the only ones who do this. Do I believe it? Well thats why I am here asking, but I can not even try Ambit as they don't service my area.

Oh, and there is a 4/10's of a cent credit for switching too.

Old 01-31-2009, 06:19 PM

1 posts, read 12,556 times
You asked about Ambit. I live in the Bronx and a friend of mine suggested Ambit to me about 1 year ago. After much hesitation and several hours of research I decided to switch. I'm delighted with the move. My billing went into effect on April 1st. and I've saved about $350.00 dollars. My biggest savings is my Gas, I have a three family house. I also receive award points for the therms and KWh I use. I use these terms as if I'm a pro. Unfortunately, I never looked at a bill in my life, I just complained and paid. Now I examine every line and understand it fully. It's amazing how much we pay on delivery charges. If we only had to pay our usage my bill would be about 40% less. Anyway, the bonus points I've received so far entitle me to a very nice get-a-way or I can cash it in for a $300 gas card. I never got that from Con Ed. I'm not sure about any other ESCO'S, you will have to check them out yourself. I did not have to sign a contract therefore, I can switch back to Con Edison at any time. I also found out that if you sign 15 customers, through the web site the you get as a customer to track your usage and reward points, you are eligable for free energy. worth checking out. I hope this helps you out.

Old 12-23-2009, 05:08 AM

1 posts, read 10,887 times
Default Energy Plus Not Saving Me Money

I have Energy Plus (3711 Market Street, PA 19104) and I noticed that my bills are about 80% higher than they typically are with the same usage. I looked at my supply charges and definitely higher with Energy Plus.

Old 07-17-2010, 09:52 AM

1 posts, read 9,653 times
Energy Plus is the biggest scam... I switched, under false pretense that I would be "saving" money when the only saving was the taxes, but the overall delivery portion of the bill went up over 100%. DON'T USE ENERGY PLUS (AKA ESCO) - YOUR OVERALL BILL WILL BE HIGHER.

Old 06-26-2012, 04:13 PM

1 posts, read 5,744 times
i am a customer service representative of one of the escos in NEW YORK and i assure u People that were givin the right discounts to those esco holders .... jus do not depend on the savings that they are giving to you. U SHOULD also LEARN HOW TO SAVE ON UR OWN

Old 09-11-2012, 11:36 AM

1 posts, read 5,370 times
Are there any ESCO customers out there that can truly confirm any real difference to there energy bills after switching from Con ED? I have not made the switch yet as I am not convinced that this would make any difference to my bill. I am constantly being asked by the ESCO Representatives to take advantage of these savings but so far they have not been able to convince me to switch. I am also concerned as to why so many sales people are constantly coming to my home, (at least twice monthly), asking to see my Con Ed Bill. This company must be making a lot of money, how else will those poor tired young Reps get paid?

Old 10-10-2012, 03:13 PM

1 posts, read 5,220 times
I just moved into a new apt in Manhattan. I just called ConEd, their rate for 9/17-10/3 was 6.8031 kwh. Energetix was highly touted on another discussion board, so I called them. Energetix, for roughly the same period was 7.598 kwh variable, 9.434 fixed. Neither was that willing to give historical rates (ie. the last 3-4 months). Its only one data point, so only a little helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York