Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 05:29 PM

1,341 posts, read 4,905,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjhaas View Post
"BEACON BAD"
How bad? My wife and I are looking to relocate to the area. I thought the town of Beacon looked very nice. Many niche businesses.
Its probably mild from the NYC persons standpoint..but really its nothing to brag about..kinda like you tell someone you live in the city..and then they ask you where? And you say Harlem(and if that isnt technically the city..forgive in advance)...see what I mean.

The schools are nothing to write home about its probably the worst school district in dutchess..pick any other district in dutchess...wait I take that back..poughkeepsie schools are horrible too. Pick any other districts besides these and you should be fine. There are many prisons (max penns) in beacon, and the only thing it has going for it is the train station..but again that is my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2007, 06:55 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,644,313 times
Honestly, Beacon is not bad compared to the City of Poughkeepsie-don't let any real estate person try to convince you that the city is a nice place. Beacon really isn't bad, I've lived here all my life(Fishkill) and my parents moved to Beacon from NC/VA back in 53. It's cyclic, it's in a good upswing again and should stay there. As to prisons, not a big deal at all. Last jail break we had was back in the 70's before they redid the wire fencing with the razors on top back then. Greenhaven's had their own breaks too along the way.

As to Wappingers, I'd stay out of right in the Village area. It's congested during peak rush hour. Look for complexes outside in the town. A good real estate agent can show you nice units. Fishkill has quite a few-Toll Brothers has a new site that is condo's and run if I remember reading right starting in the $200,000 range.

Old 06-05-2007, 09:44 PM

18 posts, read 118,101 times
I'm looking at condos in New Windsor (new construction, plum point, washingtonville, etc.) for plum point it says the school district is Newburgh. Is that reffering to the city or town?

Old 06-05-2007, 10:05 PM

1,341 posts, read 4,905,897 times
here are the toll brothers links...closer to 300k and then add your options.

Van Wyck Mews - New Homes in Fishkill, NY by Toll Brothers

NY New Homes - Browse New Homes in NY From Toll Brothers

Old 06-06-2007, 04:02 PM

18 posts, read 118,101 times
I've had people telling me to stay away from Toll Brothers & K.H. homes.

Old 06-07-2007, 01:45 AM

66 posts, read 295,135 times
The only Newburgh schools are in the City of Newburgh school district.

Snoopy, I'll give you some advice that I tell all of my new home buyers about Pulte, KHOV, Toll Brothers or any other builder out there. There are pros and cons to any home, new homes are no exception, so do your research on the builder and the community and then decide if it's right for you. If you only listen to all the negativity people give on builders or communities and don't use your own judgement you'll never be able to find a home you are satisfied with.

I haven't met the sales staff at Toll Brothers Van Wyck but I can attest to the fact that K. Hovnanian's Carole over at The Grove is a true professional in every sense of the word and very helpful with community information so you will be in good hands if you buy there.

Old 06-08-2007, 10:05 PM

69 posts, read 217,356 times
zip code 12590 is nice Fishkill?Wappingers Falls? beacon area

Old 06-08-2007, 10:26 PM

449 posts, read 1,125,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damara72 View Post
I live in the town of poughkeepsie and my kids go to wappinger schools. I love the schools here. the parents are very involved with their kids and the school. we have not had any problems. my kids love their teachers...my sister in law teaches in the newburgh school district and the stories she comes home with I can not believe actually happen, and she teaches kindergarten. I would hate to see what the upper levels are like! i would steer toward wappingers!
Your from Poughkeepsie? I'm from Poughkeepsie, I've been gone for many years. Considering going back with my 12 yr old son. How are the middle schools? I went to Lagrange Junior high many yrs ago (outside of Pougkeepsie). My parents went to Poughkeepsie High and said it was awful Do they have school of choice in that area? Meaning you can choose your school as long as you provide transportation? I was just wondering how you are able to put your kids in Wappingers schools? Is that about 20 min from Poughkeepsie? Just wondering-thanks.

Old 06-08-2007, 10:29 PM

33 posts, read 151,869 times
If you want to check out the schools, try greatschools.com.

Old 08-30-2007, 09:48 PM

10 posts, read 47,963 times
I think Arlington High School would be your best bet. LMS is still very nice and Noxon Road School is wonderful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York