U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2008, 01:47 PM

222 posts, read 631,081 times

Advertisements

My husband and I would like to buy a house in Grahamsville, Livingston Manor, Ellenville or Woodbourne? What can you tell us about these areas.More specifically, how are the schools? Are there any problems with crime? How are the taxes? Are there problems with flooding in any of these areas and how widespread is the problem?

I realize my post is peppered with questions, but truly any information you'd like to share would be very helpful.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 10:06 PM

48 posts, read 118,319 times
I just sent a whole big response and it deleted on me.. If u still have questions msg me. I know about all of these towns

Old 01-07-2009, 10:11 PM

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my questions. I am eager to move to this area sometime this year. I really liked Grahamsville, but it might be too far away from food shopping. I can live without fast food places, chain stores, etc., but a grocery store would be nice.

I remember there were big floods in Sullivan County, so flooding is a concern (or preoccupation) of mine. Is that a problem in Grahamsville, Livingston Manor, or Ellenville?

Hope to hear from you.

galee

Old 01-07-2009, 10:39 PM

As i recall, when we had major flooding here,esp in 2001, it was livingston manor that got the worst of it. They had to evacuate.
Livingston Manor residents frustrated by lack of flood relief

If you go to www.th-record.com and type in flooding in livingston manor, you can see a little more.

I havent heard of any flooding, not seriously anyway, in ellenville or woodbourne. Grahamsville is close to the neversink dam, so that has some potential and has caused flooding into a trailor park community that was nearby, in which the residents had to evacuate. But this was the worst ive ever seen it here.

Grahamsville is serene and peaceful, and has the cheapest taxes, but it is so far away from everything. In the summer, Grahamsville has a town fair that everyone seems to enjoy. it is tri-valley school district, where most of the students are white (very few black familys), and has been known to have been a very racist community in its time, although i think it has become much better.

Livingston Manor...Although i live about 30minutes give or take from there, ive only been there afew times. i dont know really what kind of stores the town has. Locally, when someone says a joke about manor, its usually containing incest in some form or another.

Ellenville... No flooding from what i remember.. again u can type it in to the newspaper and see what comes up. The schools arent great and the neighborhood is known for the most crime out of the three. Mc donalds in the town and a store not to far away. Closest to middletown, ny.. which has the mall and all major stores as well as many restaurants including the outback, chillis, etc.

Im not sure if u wanted to know anything about woodbourne. It is the closest of all the towns u mentioned to Monticello, Ny, which has walmart, shoprite, a movie theatre, Bk. Mcd's and wendys, the government center, etc. Woodbourne is a very small town. It is in Fallsburg School District, which is an ok school. It is the complete opposite of Tri-valley schools, contains a fair mix of black and white students. Great teachers tho;-).. My father went to that school when he was younger.

If you are truly concerned about flooding again, i would check out the website type in the diff towns and u can see what comes up. All of the towns were hit by it in one way or another, but Manor was the worst.

Honestly, i dont live far

Old 01-07-2009, 10:42 PM

What about Liberty, NY? Any interest in living there?

Old 01-11-2009, 01:08 AM

Hi

Thanks so much for responding to my query. The link to the record was very helpful and I was able to do some "flood research" on quite a few towns.

Yes, I might be interested in Liberty. When I was up there two years ago, I got a bad vibe from the downtown. It seemed like it could be a crime area. Recently I've looked at some of the houses in the Liberty area and they are quite nice at a low prices, too. What's your take on Liberty? Is it safe? Are there supermarkets in town?

I've heard that a few cafes and shops have opened. Do you think Liberty is changing?

Galee

Old 01-11-2009, 11:42 AM

I went to Liberty school when i was younger... and then to Fallsburg. I liked Fallsburg better. Im not certain about crime in Liberty, I would think that Ellenville would have more crime. A lot of drugs in ellenville but alot also in other places. The kids have nothing better to do here, so they break in houses, start trouble, nonsense stuff. Liberty has had some crime, you could look in the paper archives also. Last year, there were a few serious incidents. But realize that crime happens everywhere. I live in a small town with not even a store, and someone got murdered on the basketball court over a drug deal and nothing bad happens here. Great American, Shoprite, all the fast food places, diners, video rental place, dunkin donuts, trading post, rite aid, tobacco store, agway, chinese rest, tractor supply, sears, car dealerships, etc are all in liberty. I would suggest not moving to the heart of the town, which is close to mainstreet.

Liberty has been the same for as long as i can remember (im in my early 20's) lol.. Changing.. I dont think so.. Things like a greek rest. have opened up but other places have closed.

Where are you moving from?

There are other small towns that are close to the ones that u mentioned. For example, Woodbourne is close to Fallsburg, Loch Sheldrake, and not far from ellenville, but far enough. Liberty is close to swan lake, and also loch sheldrake.. The towns are not far from each other. Liberty is about 20-15 minutes from monticello, woodbourne is a little closer.
I'm most familiar with these towns; although i do know about the others:

Woodridge, Mountaindale, Fallsburg, So Fallsburg, Woodbourne, Hurleyville, Loch Sheldrake are Fallsburg School District. They are all small towns where most of the people probably shop in monticello, which is a relatively short drive away. I live in one of those town and go to Middletown, NY alot which is about 30-40 minutes away.

Anything else?

Old 01-11-2009, 05:03 PM

Default Grahamsville

Hi,

Once again thanks for the info. Your input has been very helpful. My husband and I both live in Manhattan, and we are thinking of buying the house in Sullivan County as a weekend/vacation getaway for me, but my husband plans to live up there fulltime. He recently lost his job in publishing here, but his real avocation is music. He's a jazz/rock pianist and composer, so we're thinking he could spend time at the house working on creative projects while I stay here and work.

My husband and I have lived in the city for a long time, and our apartment is very small -- it's a studio apartment. We've been priced out of the New York area; home prices are ridiculously high here, and we both love the scenery in the Catskill although I am much more familiar with the area than my husband is. (He's originally from the Piedmont area of North Carolina.)

I was wondering if you could tell me more about the village of Grahamsville. Is there a place to buy food there? Is there a library? I know it's a very low tax area, but I'd like to know what services the village has. Also, would you know how to arrange for garbage collection? I know that's a funny question, but in the city we never think about these kind of things, but the city government takes care of this problem.

What is your take of places like Callicoon and Jeffersonville? I was there last summer, but I much prefer the scenery in the eastern part of Sullivan County, although I believe towns like Jeffersonville and Callicoon are more popular among city residents looking for a country home.

Lastly, I am very found of wildlife -- that's one of the reasons I am looking into Sullivan County for our home. Do you often see deer, bears, skunks, racoons, and the like? I know these animals can be pests, but I would like to see a wild animal now and then instead of the frou-frou dogs I usually see on the streets where I live.

Galee

Old 01-11-2009, 05:07 PM

Default Chasidim in Woodbourne

A quick question, are there many Chasidim in Woodbourne during the winter months? Do the Chasidim interact with the local residents or do they keep to themselves?

Galee

Old 01-11-2009, 06:43 PM

10 posts, read 40,044 times
Sullivan county is a nice county to live in. Its not to far from the city and you still have all the luxuries of the catskills. I lived in woodbourne when i was a child and went to tri-valley school district and I didnt have any complaints.I had a big house and wildlife was a constant occurence deers, skunks etc. I still have family up there who have been there since the 1980's in my opinion sullivan county is one of the best countys to live in the catskills and as soon as I am able to I will be buying a vacation home there. Grahamsville i heard is very nice but i dont know much about ellenville or livingston manor. During the summer hurleyville, loch sheldrake, and monticello(not far at all from the towns you are interested in) are popular places to be with old fashioned ice cream shops, resturaunts, bars, and golf courses. They seem to all be very good places and i wish you luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York