Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2009, 09:50 PM

33 posts, read 124,535 times

Advertisements

Looking into buying a home in Plattsburgh, in the Beekmantown school district. The home has electric heat. I was looking for information on the average cost of electric bills for people who live outside of the cheap city electric rates. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 12:34 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,610,872 times
Avoid electric heat like the plague unless you want 2 jobs paying for it! Seven years ago I lived in a townhosue in Guilderland (down near Albany) with electric heat. $600-$700 a month winter heating bills were the norm and I was NOT warm! And Albany is much warmer than Plattsburgh. Winter isn't as long either.

Old 01-06-2009, 04:57 PM

518 posts, read 2,013,126 times
Wink Most people.............

who live outside the city limits do not have electric heat as their main heat supply because it comes from a different provider and is very expensive. You have many alternatives however and can always use electric heat as a backup or in addition to....................wood furnace, gas, fuel oil, propane, even huge woodstoves that are properly vented and have been installed professionally will work fine. Now that people are using more pellets and their are alternatives, I would never rely solely on electric. Also, be smart about tree placement and solar energy (naturally). We have an abundance of sunny days!!!! You might be surprised how much heat you can generate from opening curtains on the sunny side and keeping that heat in...........I have experimented and also have planted fast growing trees to blow wind and it has made a huge difference in my bills................If you want the nice lifestyle and freedom and nature and people (and gorgeous SUMMERS/FALLS) it is soooooo worth it!

Old 01-06-2009, 07:16 PM

33 posts, read 124,535 times
Apparently the people who owned the home previously had a monitor heater installed, although they took it with them. Any idea where we may find one in the area and how much they cost? Thanks for the advice!

Old 01-06-2009, 08:29 PM

Post The nicest and most pleasant people to talk to........

would be Hulbert Brothers on Cornelia Street. I don't have their phone number but there is a man there whose name is Charlie K and his wife was my daughter's teacher and he is a great person. All of the guys that work there have been there forever and will help you as much as possible. None of them are working there part time or whatever. They work there and take their customers very seriously. I cannot think of anyone else I would refer you to right now other than them. There are other very honest places, but this place has been a family business and established forever...................Tell them your entire situation and I know they will help you very much and be glad to do so. That is their reputation. If you google their name, you will get additional info regarding this company...........Good luck.

Old 01-14-2009, 05:12 PM

36 posts, read 191,383 times
Default Electric Rates are High in New York

New York State has the third highest residential electric rates in the United States; only Connecticut and Hawaii have higher rates. New York is 19.48 cents per kilowatt hour (kWh), Connecticut is 20.24, and Hawaii is 36.94 cents per kWh.

The average retail price of electricity for the entire country in September 2008 was 10.31 cents per kilowatt hour (kWh).

Rates in New York State are almost twice the national average.

Tedder's Random Notes

Old 01-18-2009, 09:18 PM

Post If you can find a home in the city of Pburgh

For some reason the electric rates are just the opposite of the rest of the state.......................the electric rates are the cheapest in the nation. It has to do with the contract signed a long time ago.........People who live in the city itself do very well with electric bills.....However outside the city limits in other school districts, it is indeed brutal. Not entirely sure why, but Pburgh city electric rates are very cheap...................FYI.............

Old 01-18-2009, 10:02 PM

770 posts, read 3,679,796 times
I would recommend calling the local electrical supplier. If you give them the address they should be able to give you an average heat bill there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York