Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2009, 01:10 PM

68 posts, read 331,059 times

Advertisements

that get tons of snow and are people friendly/family oriented.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 02:42 PM

406 posts, read 1,450,532 times
You can't go wrong with the Syracuse area as far as snow is concerned and there are many great towns surrounding the city, such as Baldwinsville to the north, Fayettville, Manlius and Cazenovia to the east/southeast, Skaneateles to the south. I am sure that there are quite a few more that I am not aware of. All are picturesque, although some have a reputation of snobbery. (Skaneateles). I do not know whether this is deserved or not, I have not noticed any superior attitude in my visits there. What other factors are important to you, besides snow and ambiance?

Old 01-07-2009, 03:25 PM

93,164 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Some other places could be:Saranac Lake and Tupper Lake in the Adirondacks, Watertown, Plattsburgh and Oswego(and literally it seems like a ton of snow), among others. Here's information on each:
Saranac Lake, NY (Official Homepage) - In The Heart Of The Adirondacks, #1 small town in New York State, #11 in the U.S.A., Family Attractions, Retirement, Real Estate, Banking, Hiking, Fishing, Canoeing, Skiing, Winter Sports, Outdoor Recreation, Th , Saranac Lake Winter Carnival in the Adirondacks

Chamber of Commerce for the Town and Village of Tupper Lake

Watertown, NY - Official Website , Greater Watertown North Country Chamber of Commerce, Watertown Chamber of Commerce, Watertown New York

Experience Plattsburgh, NY , Plattsburgh North Country Chamber of Commerce

The Official Web Site of the City of Oswego , Oswego County Tourism Home Page

and some others you might like
Experience Saratoga Springs New York With Help From The Saratoga County Convention & Tourism Bureau , Visit Saratoga! Racing, Tourism & Travel Guide to Saratoga Springs NY: Find Hotels, Events, Restaurants & Real Estate , City of Saratoga Springs New York Public Portal

Glens Falls, NY - Official Website

Lake George - Plan Your Visit Before You Go At LakeGeorge.com , Lake George Area in New York's Adirondacks - Official Site , Lake George, New York Chamber of Commerce - Gateway to the Adirondacks

Adirondack Old Forge, New York for camping, hiking, biking, swimming, skiing, water park, cruises, trains , Old Forge, NY - Adirondack Mountains

Lake Placid: Home , Lake Placid New York

Skaneateles Area Chamber Of Commerce - HOME , Skaneateles travel guide - Wikitravel

http://cazenovia.com/ , http://www.villageofcazenovia.com/

Old 01-07-2009, 04:32 PM

518 posts, read 2,013,126 times
Thumbs up Just had to add a vote for Lake Placid......

When you walk down Main Street and everyone has their parkas and ski gear on and actually look comfortable wearing it, it feels almost like you are in Austria/Switzerland at times.......(Yes, I've been there). The architecture is also designed in most areas to look very Swiss chalet like. Lots of people, tourists, families, beautiful small lake for ice skating and all the 1980 winter Olympic things to view and the public can ride the bobsled for a fee........Also right in the center of town there is a huge slide that shoots down from the top of a hill and families go there and you can almost slide all the way across that pond...........Gorgeous and fun.

Old 01-07-2009, 04:33 PM

523 posts, read 1,679,712 times
Seeing all of the above links brings a recent family discussion to mind.

Over the Christmas and New Years holidays, we were in the Carolinas with our relatives who have migrated from NY & NY to NC, SC, and FL. Some of them ask why we continue to live in NY state. Clicking on any of the links from ckhthankgod answers the question for me.

Old 01-07-2009, 05:24 PM

406 posts, read 1,450,532 times
Ckhthankgod, you are the best! I have been meaning to tell you that your help to those seeking information is wonderful, you are a credit to this board. Thanks.

Old 01-07-2009, 07:06 PM

969 posts, read 2,071,690 times
Mayville (gets 200-300" of snow), nice little town on Chautauqua Lake
Ellicottville, popular and highly rated ski village loaded with shops, bars, and tourists

Old 01-07-2009, 07:19 PM

93,164 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomvang View Post
Ckhthankgod, you are the best! I have been meaning to tell you that your help to those seeking information is wonderful, you are a credit to this board. Thanks.
Thank you. While I could just tell people some things, I like to empower people with information to make a decision for themselves too. People underestimate how much the internet can help people reach out to others.

Old 01-08-2009, 05:39 AM

2,171 posts, read 3,315,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomvang View Post
I agree wholeheartedly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York