Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 05:56 PM

60 posts, read 188,386 times

Advertisements

I here you espescially on the CPS thing they just love calling them I do not understand in almost anywhere else you would be killed for taking someones children but here that is proper dispute behavior WOW
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2010, 11:59 AM

2 posts, read 5,823 times
I have to admit, I used to live in that area, well over fifteen years, and hated every minute of it. Very closed, ethnic type, small town thinkers. I left two decades ago because I knew it was fading, and my children would never live there. They took a top-tier university, SUNY Binghamton, and renamed it "Binghamton University"...how embarassing.I look forward to the day that someone will wake up and change it back, although I do recall they originally said its official name is SUNY-B still. I graduated from there and was proud of my degree, so I feel sorry for those who attend something like podunk university. So, so glad I left.

After I left, I stayed somewhat in touch and watched it decline even further. Next to Scranton, PA, it has to be the worst place to live. Constant rain, overcast, and depressing in every way. Once I left, I felt like I had been let out of jail.

I disagree, there are some nice people there, at least those I worked with. I feel sorry for those who are trapped there. Other posters spoke of that, and I totally agree. Sad for those who have to stay.

Old 05-16-2010, 06:49 PM

504 posts, read 1,492,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renwickstjames View Post
They took a top-tier university, SUNY Binghamton, and renamed it "Binghamton University"...how embarassing.I look forward to the day that someone will wake up and change it back, although I do recall they originally said its official name is SUNY-B still. I graduated from there and was proud of my degree, so I feel sorry for those who attend something like podunk university. So, so glad I left.
I don't understand what's so crucial about the name for you. Binghamton University is still officially "SUNY-Binghamton" and it's still part of the SUNY system. It's never been a "top-tier" school, but it's always been a decent state school and that's what it still is as far as I know. Binghamton's not Cornell, but you don't need to feel sorry for people who attend it.

Old 05-16-2010, 09:46 PM

93,204 posts, read 123,819,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mycrows View Post
I don't understand what's so crucial about the name for you. Binghamton University is still officially "SUNY-Binghamton" and it's still part of the SUNY system. It's never been a "top-tier" school, but it's always been a decent state school and that's what it still is as far as I know. Binghamton's not Cornell, but you don't need to feel sorry for people who attend it.
While it isn't Cornell, it's still a very good school with some highly rated programs.

Old 05-17-2010, 12:56 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,781,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
While it isn't Cornell, it's still a very good school with some highly rated programs.
The department I once studied in at SUNY-B was more highly rated than the same one at Cornell I also once studied in. (I won't say what that department was because I have well moved on from those days!)

Old 05-18-2010, 12:22 PM

1 posts, read 3,953 times
I have just moved to the Binghamton area from Philadelphia (husband was relocated) I have yet to form an opinion about Binghamton because I have not yet had a full week here. I must say that I am disappointed to hear such negative feedback from people who have had a lifetime here. I absolutely love Philadelphia, there is more positive things to be said about my hometown than I can even begin to mention and I am hoping to be able to feel that way about Binghamton once I settle in and get the opporunity to explore the area.

Old 05-18-2010, 04:27 PM

93,204 posts, read 123,819,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oohlokitzmee View Post
I have just moved to the Binghamton area from Philadelphia (husband was relocated) I have yet to form an opinion about Binghamton because I have not yet had a full week here. I must say that I am disappointed to hear such negative feedback from people who have had a lifetime here. I absolutely love Philadelphia, there is more positive things to be said about my hometown than I can even begin to mention and I am hoping to be able to feel that way about Binghamton once I settle in and get the opporunity to explore the area.
I think you will be alright. It is a very safe area and there are some things to do in the area in terms of sporting events and the arts. There are cultural events as well. You are also close to other areas and things like the Catskills, Poconos and the Finger Lakes. Just take the time to explore the area. I think many people don't honestly take the time to do so, even if they have lived in the area for a long time.

Old 05-19-2010, 11:19 PM

961 posts, read 2,502,359 times
Default ......I'm touched by your sympathy...not.

........"I feel sorry for those who are trapped there. Other posters spoke of that, and I totally agree. Sad for those who have to stay.[/quote]"...........

.........Another "temporary" who had to endure the "living hell" of spending some time here.....and of course..they pity those of us trapped ? here in the southern tier. These posters all follow the same basic themes..they hated it here..everywhere/anywhere else is better...just substitute a different name tag to the post. As someone who has spent a lot of time in various parts of the U.S.....well.....spin that nonsense on the more gullible who may check out the NY forum.

Old 07-16-2010, 07:10 PM

36 posts, read 118,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Binghamton has hoods like that? Ironically, it is one of the safest metro areas in the US. I shouldn't be surprised totally, as it is a city center of a metropolitan areas and will have some crime.

Also, those areas you mentioned are the 1st and 7th Wards.
YES. As a life long resident of Bing/JC, I can say they are not safe at all. They are just surrounded by extremely safe areas. Suprisingly for a midsize city and a small village there is a TON of unreported crime. I can honestly say that there is at LEAST one shooting everynight in my neighborhood, stabbings, drug dealing and wife beating. Bingo definatly has hoods, some are shockingly bad.

Old 07-17-2010, 01:04 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,256,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivercity10 View Post
YES. As a life long resident of Bing/JC, I can say they are not safe at all. They are just surrounded by extremely safe areas. Suprisingly for a midsize city and a small village there is a TON of unreported crime. I can honestly say that there is at LEAST one shooting everynight in my neighborhood, stabbings, drug dealing and wife beating. Bingo definatly has hoods, some are shockingly bad.
One shooting every night? Give me a break!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York