Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2009, 09:05 AM

36 posts, read 191,397 times

Advertisements

New Yorkers pay the highest property taxes in America.
New York property taxes are 78% higher than the national average.

New York schools outside of New York City spend more per student
than any state in the nation – an estimated $18,768 in 2008-09.
New York’s per student spending is more than 50 percent above the
national average.

The New York State Commission on Property Tax Relief recently
released their final report with recommendations on how to fix this.
It is an excellent report that is very interesting reading. You can read it here.

Read the report and spread the word. New York needs to start implementing these changes now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2009, 09:42 AM

260 posts, read 977,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johntedder View Post
New Yorkers pay the highest property taxes in America.
New York property taxes are 78% higher than the national average.

New York schools outside of New York City spend more per student
than any state in the nation – an estimated $18,768 in 2008-09.
New York’s per student spending is more than 50 percent above the
national average.

The New York State Commission on Property Tax Relief recently
released their final report with recommendations on how to fix this.
It is an excellent report that is very interesting reading. You can read it here.

Read the report and spread the word. New York needs to start implementing these changes now.
John I think you missed a thread.

Old 01-23-2009, 12:27 PM

444 posts, read 1,049,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rochester-WNY View Post
John I think you missed a thread.
Right?! he posted all over the New York thread. Why?

Old 01-23-2009, 01:12 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,079,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy15161 View Post
Right?! he posted all over the New York thread. Why?
Maybe because if enough NYers start standing up to this atrocious mess of being the most saddled tax payers IN THE NATION, Albany will wake up and do something about it

Otherwise, our next title will be "the state with the highest number of people exiting it's borders"....

Tom Golisano of Rochester (billionaire Paychex founder) has started a movement in this direction and you can join and fight with him....

NYC has milked the rest of the state dry and it needs to stop....

Old 01-23-2009, 01:28 PM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
There needs to be more consolidation of services for one. We have so many fire, police, school and water districts that probably should be consolidated with a nearby district that it's not funny. I think infrastructure is another reason. With NYC, you have a densely populated city of over 8 million that requires a lot of maintenance. Then you have the issue in terms of weather, where you have to pay taxes for services like snow removal. With all of this said, I think consolidation of many districts and services would help bring taxes down quite a bit, most likely.

Old 01-23-2009, 02:56 PM

3,512 posts, read 9,425,253 times
One word: Medicaid

Old 01-24-2009, 03:55 PM

99 posts, read 288,594 times
The best welfare in the country. That includes medicaid and goberment benefits to "our" employees and representatives.

Old 01-25-2009, 07:56 AM

133 posts, read 466,443 times
I missed this thread when I posted a similar thread yesterday in the NYC forum.

When it comes to government jobs I have seen time and time again degenerates I know say "instead of going to college you should have done taken a civil service exam and gotten a gov't job" (not everyone in gov't is a degenerate).

When I see many of the people in these gov't jobs (DMV, MTA, PO) I wonder if many of these people making GOOD salaries could make the same money in the private sector. I don't think so. We as taxpayers are paying people good money and benefits that would otherwise be working low wage jobs.

NY'ers need to fight for more funds from DC, but they should also demand that their gov't not be looked at as the goose that laid the golden egg when it comes to jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York