Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 08:57 AM

1,199 posts, read 2,868,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalonian4life View Post
Just a bunch of ignorant downstate souls.

But, back in grade school I seem to recall that they taught us the correct geography of NYS. Western New York was Western New York, then there was Central New York (Finger Lakes Region), upstate New York (Adirondacks, etc), and downstate New York (below Albany to NYC and Long Island.
Downstate New York is not one region. It is broken down into the Hudson Valley, NYC and Long Island.

Alot of it has to do with the perspective you are looking at the map from. You start out looking at the map of NYS from the middle left. Someone in Suffolk County is going to start looking at it from the bottom right. This influences how you see the state as a whole.

In the academic world its called one's own Mental Map.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2009, 09:16 AM

2,972 posts, read 8,211,196 times
Columbus County is about an hour from NYC, hardly to be considered as "upstate" with comparison to us living almost 500 miles northern from NYC.

The Buffalo area is about as "upstate" as it gets, though my real intent of this thread is asking the question......... is there any thoughts of what Senator Gillibrand should do for the "real upstate" New York?

I mean to say, what should our new senator do for our part of "upstate"?

From my first linking to the Buffalo News article, it shows that Senator Gillibrand has many political connections, is that good or bad for our area?

Old 01-30-2009, 01:35 PM

504 posts, read 1,492,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalonian4life View Post
Just a bunch of ignorant downstate souls.

But, back in grade school I seem to recall that they taught us the correct geography of NYS. Western New York was Western New York, then there was Central New York (Finger Lakes Region), upstate New York (Adirondacks, etc), and downstate New York (below Albany to NYC and Long Island.
You are priceless! Ignorant downstate souls? The term upstate is colloquial, so there is no "correct" definition.

Why do you think people separate upstate from the NYC metro area? Because NYC + long island accounts for more population than the rest of the state combined!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FedupWNY View Post
Columbus County is about an hour from NYC
No. It's close to 3 hours from Hudson to Manhattan, depending on the time of day.

Anyway, I don't know why we're talking about Columbia County. The new senator's orbit is Albany. In answer to your question I doubt she will do anything for Western New York. The thought of high-speed rail from Buffalo to NYC (which is mentioned in the Buffalo News article) is nice, but seems unlikely. It would be great if some of Obama's transportation stimulus went to that but I'm not holding my breath.

Frankly, her conservative cred (her NRA backing, her feelings on immigration) is more likely to find her sympathy among upstate voters, rather than NYC metro voters.

Old 01-30-2009, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycrows View Post
No. It's close to 3 hours from Hudson to Manhattan, depending on the time of day.

Anyway, I don't know why we're talking about Columbia County. The new senator's orbit is Albany.
Columbia County is hardly, "upstate" compared to the 9 hour drive from Buffalo, depending on the time of day.

Quote:
Frankly, her conservative cred (her NRA backing, her feelings on immigration) is more likely to find her sympathy among upstate voters, rather than NYC metro voters.
Perhaps, more likely to find her sympathy among republican voters

Old 01-30-2009, 09:57 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,809,362 times
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...S_Congress.png
http://latfor.state.ny.us/maps/propcong/fc020.pdf (broken link)

Geography maps of the 20th congressional district.You can locate them anywhere. The second is a .pdf and you can enlarge it for towns. It mixes small cities, towns and very rural areas. It should solve all the questions. If you want to call Gilliband anything, call her an Eastern (upstate) New Yorker if you call us Western (upstate) New Yorkers; the point is we are upstate. Her district mixes all kinds of communities.

I am just glad Paterson picked someone from upstate who is conservative. I hope she doesn't get warped into a liberal in the Senate!

Last edited by BuffaloTransplant; 01-30-2009 at 10:06 PM..

Old 01-30-2009, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post
I am just glad Paterson picked someone from upstate who is conservative. I hope she doesn't get warped into a liberal in the Senate!
A "conservative Democrat"? Oh no, not another bridge to nowhere

Old 01-30-2009, 10:54 PM

922 posts, read 3,860,103 times
Quote:
Chuck Schumer, minutes after the announcement of her appointment: "Her views will evolve".

Whether one agrees with her positions or not, it is hard not to sense condescension in this statement. OK Chuck, bring the Upstate hick in from the woods, clean her up and teach her how more "evolved" people think.

Old 01-31-2009, 01:03 PM

1,301 posts, read 3,577,009 times
Everyone from Upstate thinks their area is the "real" Upstate and the rest is just downstate.

The best indicator of Upstate, is any part of NY north of NYC, which is beyond daily commuting distance or beyond the NYC reservoir system.

Columbia County certainly qualifies.

Old 01-31-2009, 01:04 PM

1,301 posts, read 3,577,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstaterInBklyn View Post
Chuck Schumer, minutes after the announcement of her appointment: "Her views will evolve".

Whether one agrees with her positions or not, it is hard not to sense condescension in this statement. OK Chuck, bring the Upstate hick in from the woods, clean her up and teach her how more "evolved" people think.
I really don't think Schumer meant it like that. He meant "evolve" as "change."

Old 02-13-2016, 01:44 PM

1 posts, read 596 times
Gillibrand does not care about upstate NY. Another greedy politician.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York