Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 11:06 PM

973 posts, read 1,408,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Last several posts pretty much on the button. ^

I went back to the first page and it is interesting that besides from the OP, most people consider Columbia County Upstate. I really don't see how anybody with any geographical sense can consider Columbia to be Downstate. The second poster thinks that Long Island is not part of Downstate, rather it is own thing. We all have different opinions I guess.
I agree that no sane person would consider Columbia County downstate, but it's not for the reasons you cite. "Geographical sense" would actually make it downstate. If you simply look at a map, it would be considered downstate. But 99.99% of people consider it upstate because they are not viewing it from a geographical point of view. They are looking at it culturally and economically. This is why some people exclude LI from downstate, although those people are probably only thinking of Suffolk and are probably out of date. Eastern Suffolk has been swolled up by NYC's gravitational pull just like Orange County has.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2016, 01:52 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,535,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 987ABC View Post
I agree that no sane person would consider Columbia County downstate, but it's not for the reasons you cite. "Geographical sense" would actually make it downstate. If you simply look at a map, it would be considered downstate. But 99.99% of people consider it upstate because they are not viewing it from a geographical point of view. They are looking at it culturally and economically. This is why some people exclude LI from downstate, although those people are probably only thinking of Suffolk and are probably out of date. Eastern Suffolk has been swolled up by NYC's gravitational pull just like Orange County has.
Is that geographical definition of yours under the impression that only north country is upstate?

Also the only people I have met who don't consider LI downstate are from LI. Just goes to show you how the majority of the state wants to run screaming from NYC.

Old 02-19-2016, 04:56 AM

94 posts, read 158,773 times
You can't just look at a map and draw the border between Upstate/Downstate. You have to look at the geography of the state. Once you go north of I-84 and west of the Thruway, look at the terrain -- it's all hills, mountains, and lakes, which makes "Upstate" upstate.

Upstate is broken up into many different regions. You have the Catskills, Adirondacks, North Country, Central New York, Western New York, Finger Lakes, Southern Tier. What else am I missing?

Old 02-19-2016, 09:19 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,699,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianabanana View Post
gillibrand does not care about upstate ny. Another greedy politician.
Gillibrand and the "real" upstate region of NYS?-thread_necromancy_3038.jpg

Old 02-19-2016, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Readthebox View Post
You can't just look at a map and draw the border between Upstate/Downstate. You have to look at the geography of the state. Once you go north of I-84 and west of the Thruway, look at the terrain -- it's all hills, mountains, and lakes, which makes "Upstate" upstate.

Upstate is broken up into many different regions. You have the Catskills, Adirondacks, North Country, Central New York, Western New York, Finger Lakes, Southern Tier. What else am I missing?
The "snout" of the state is broken both east-west and north-south by topography or county affiliation.

East-West is the aforementioned western NY (itself a debated region) and central NY.

North-South is the southern tier/southern finger lakes (basically hill country) and essentially everything north of it which tends to be flatter and heavy on farms. It kind of goes from being Pennsylvania to being Ohio.

Old 02-19-2016, 12:21 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,235,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 987ABC View Post
I meant by "geographical sense" that Downstate is more the Atlantic coastal areas of the state while Upstate is more inland to the continent. Also Downstate is far more developed, unlike Columbia County.

Another reason is that the very terms Upstate and Downstate probably have something to do with history and traveling up and down the Hudson River. Albany is UP and New York City Down. Since Columbia County is near Albany, it probably always has been considered part of Upstate.

Old 02-19-2016, 12:29 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,235,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Is that geographical definition of yours under the impression that only north country is upstate?

Also the only people I have met who don't consider LI downstate are from LI. Just goes to show you how the majority of the state wants to run screaming from NYC.
This is kind of strange and I have seen you and several other people mention it here on this thread.

I have never heard Long Islanders say that Long Island is not part of Downstate. Then again I do not remember the subject ever being discussed. It is not like you start talking about geography when you go out with your friends! Do people Upstate consider Long Island different from New York City and Westchester County?

Old 02-19-2016, 12:58 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,334,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Readthebox View Post
Upstate/Downstate map...
Looks official.

I wouldn't get into fisticuffs over it, but I consider New Paltz, Kingston, and Poughkeepsie to be downstate, so I will respectfully disagree.

Old 02-19-2016, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
This is kind of strange and I have seen you and several other people mention it here on this thread.

I have never heard Long Islanders say that Long Island is not part of Downstate. Then again I do not remember the subject ever being discussed. It is not like you start talking about geography when you go out with your friends! Do people Upstate consider Long Island different from New York City and Westchester County?
You don't know me! Socio-economics, topography, geography, and other such things are exactly what I and my friends discuss regularly.

Old 02-20-2016, 11:23 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,469,703 times
I think the most objective definition of upstate would be anything North of Orange County
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York