Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 01:25 PM

1 posts, read 12,555 times

Advertisements

Pretty funny! I have a few.

Near Rochester:

Avon - AA von (A is like "at" without the t, not like the cosmetic co.)

Leroy - I've heard it pronounced LEE roy and also Lu ROY by Leroy natives. Take your pick.

Southern tier:

Bolivar is BAAH li vur It's pronounced with that southern tier "ahh" twang

In the Adirondacks, or A di roun dacks as we like to say:

I've often been corrected on the pronounciation of my hometown, usually by downstaters from NYC or Long Island - Schroon Lake is pronounced Skrewn Lake, not Shroon Lake. Makes me laugh every time I get corrected.

Tahawas, an old mining town near Newcomb that's long gone, but is familiar to many high peaks climbers: Tu HAWS, not Tu HOW as (my husband's mis-pronounciation)

For some reason, my husband always says CHEST er tun instead of Ches ter town - just like it's spelled.

Piseco is Pu SEE co
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2009, 03:20 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,498,624 times
Voorheesville...the h is silent...pronounced Voor-eeze-vill

Old 02-11-2009, 08:53 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstaterInBklyn View Post
Here are some WNY small towns with unusual pronunciations:

Java (JAY-va)
Nunda (NUN-day)
Castile (CASS-tile)

I know this thread is about Upstate places, but Long Island has some real doozies. For example:

Ronkonkoma (Ron-KON-koh-ma)
Hauppauge (HAUGH-pawg)
Wyandanch (WHY-an-danch)
Syosset (sy-OSS-et)
Commack (COH-mack) (rhymes with "lowjack")
Lawn Guylander chiming in.

To the person who posted Schroon (Skrewn) Lake -- please laugh at me, too. First time out I said Ssssshroon, too.

Hauppauge is more akin to Hop ahg (ah as in open up and say "ah")
Wyandanch is more akin to WHY un danch

Years ago I worked for a national courier. A misaddressed parcel came into my office and I had to find the correct location. All I knew was that the sender from PA was sending it to a company in Hop Hog, NY

Old 03-02-2009, 05:32 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,720,757 times
What about Niskayuna (Nis-key-oon-ah or just plain "Nis-key")and Scotia (Skoh-sha)? I can't count how many times I've heard people pronounce those in weird ways! I guess people don't realize that Scotia is pronounced the same way as Nova Scotia. :/
I've even heard people get confused trying to pronounce Guilderland, but I always thought that was one of the easy ones.

Last edited by Puru; 03-02-2009 at 05:33 PM.. Reason: Fixing a typo

Old 03-03-2009, 03:10 PM

22 posts, read 84,747 times
Our local boy scout troop had to teach our town board this one a few years ago, I live in the Town of Shawangunk, Hamlet of Wallkill, Shawangunk is pronounced Shon-gum. We're the range next to the Catskills.

Old 03-04-2009, 06:20 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,787,860 times
Replying to another thread I remembered another one. Groton (GRAH-tun)

Old 03-04-2009, 10:33 AM

36 posts, read 191,417 times
Default It's Green Witch not Grenich

In 2004 Greenwich the Musical was performed and recorded. Bob Warren wrote a song called "Greenwich" about how to pronounce the name. It is pretty funny. I had the pleasure of seeing this live. They did record a CD and DVD though that you can order from the site below.

The people of the Village of Greenwich and Town of Greenwich performed in the musical.

Bob Warren - Singer Songwriter . . .

Old 03-06-2009, 02:15 PM

24 posts, read 89,399 times
Default from the North

Chazy = shay ZEE

AuSable = AW saybull

Old 04-14-2009, 11:05 AM

5 posts, read 35,768 times
Default It's the "A's"

I'm no expert, but upstaters sound like Chicago to me. My brother's name is Robby and they call him "RA-bee" like the "ra" in rabbi or rat. A lot of people don't really have an accent, but those from long time resident families seem to be the one's who pronounce "O" like the "A" in rat.

Old 01-17-2014, 06:44 PM

245 posts, read 432,051 times
Sorry to bump this, but there's a county in WNY whose name I can never remember how to pronounce... Cattaraugus County. Any help? I wanna say it's pronounced "Catter - aw - gus." Am I right?

My aunt from WNY used to pronounce Niskayuna like "Nis - KAI - una." And Valatie... I'm from the Capital District and the first time I saw that name, I just stared at it blankly for like 5 minutes, before embarrassing myself with pronouncing it "VAL - uh - tai."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York