Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 01:21 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,868,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
Try explaining that you are from a relatively large CITY in Upstate NY to someone from the NYC area! We lived in "the country" to them. They know about Buffalo...kind of, but as far as they know, Rochester and Syracuse are small dary farming communites (they have Albany by the balls, so they know that one...haha, I know I know...tongue and cheek)
This is priceless! When I lived in Oklahoma, I had to explain where I was from by pulling out a map! I have learned to say Western New York instead of Upstate- because if you say Upstate- people think you live a few miles north of NYC... tends to get annoying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2008, 07:07 PM

451 posts, read 695,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
Try explaining that you are from a relatively large CITY in Upstate NY to someone from the NYC area! We lived in "the country" to them. They know about Buffalo...kind of, but as far as they know, Rochester and Syracuse are small dary farming communites (they have Albany by the balls, so they know that one...haha, I know I know...tongue and cheek)

They don't realize that most Upstate cities (Utica/Albany) are runoffs of NYC. Large portions of the populations are NYC transplants.

Upstate city crime is just as bad if not worse than NYC as well.

Yeah, we're all ****ing Yankee fans, and Ranger fans and Giant fans too, ain't much difference 2-3 hours up.

Old 05-27-2008, 07:51 PM

663 posts, read 2,263,522 times
I wish I still lived in upstate NY. It's the best place in the world, IMHO. It's home to me.

Old 05-28-2008, 09:54 AM

861 posts, read 1,147,607 times
Default Moving in the Future

I've lived in Minneapolis, Northern Virginia, and currently Austin, Texas and as I approach retirement, I am looking for the final resting place (alive). My current search is the area from Ithaca to Albany. What I'm looking for is seasons (don't have those in Texas), access to X-country and downhill skiing, fishing, golf, and either waterfront property or an older home on some acreage. I've been monitoring the New York forum for several weeks (along with some other New England forums) and I've been impressed with the general lack of negatives from those that are resident responders. I'm still a few years away from hanging it up so I will take the time to travel to the region to get a better feel for it. If you have any suggestions of good places to look, I would appreciate it. I've heard from Skanateles and Ithaca people and would like to hear from people further east in New York.

Old 05-28-2008, 10:02 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,654,429 times
I lived in the Hudson Valley till 93. What a misstake leaving for Florida (ick). Phoenix better than Florida, but not home.
I miss dandeloins, real thunderstorms (not monsoons where the weather man says "Watch it out there, it's raining today"), corn on the cob right from the field, an apple from the tree (out here everything tastes like plastic from California), and people who don't care about the square footage of their house, or their next leather sofa, or the boob job they just gotta have. Oh ya, that botox sure works wonders. Ick, Ick and double Ick. Give me a real New Yorker, attitude or not--love them all.

Old 05-29-2008, 09:09 AM

663 posts, read 2,263,522 times
Being that some of us all love NY so much, I wonder why we leave?

My excuse is my husband made me do it! I am getting us back there as soon as I can. Texas is a completely different world, let me tell you!

Old 05-29-2008, 09:21 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,654,429 times
I left because my husband had the "Florida dream," that turned into a nightmare. We chose a rural area in Central Florida, 20 miles from Vero Beach, and it was a culture shock of immense proportions. 4 years and I said "I'm so oughta here." We're in Phoenix (West Valley) now, but considering another change after 11 years. I wonder if all we've really done is move in a giant circle-- NY,Fla, Az and back to NY. I like the people in NY, the weather in Phoenix (winters) and the taxes in Florida. If I could combine all of these into one place...

Old 05-29-2008, 10:10 AM

306 posts, read 1,620,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryDactyls View Post
I've lived in Minneapolis, Northern Virginia, and currently Austin, Texas and as I approach retirement, I am looking for the final resting place (alive). My current search is the area from Ithaca to Albany. What I'm looking for is seasons (don't have those in Texas), access to X-country and downhill skiing, fishing, golf, and either waterfront property or an older home on some acreage. I've been monitoring the New York forum for several weeks (along with some other New England forums) and I've been impressed with the general lack of negatives from those that are resident responders. I'm still a few years away from hanging it up so I will take the time to travel to the region to get a better feel for it. If you have any suggestions of good places to look, I would appreciate it. I've heard from Skanateles and Ithaca people and would like to hear from people further east in New York.
TerryDactyls:

I suggest Cazenovia, Cooperstown (and the country/villages near it), Clinton, Hamilton, Saratoga Springs.

Also, check out Trumansburg, a lovely little town about 10 miles from Ithaca.

Hope you'll post about your search and choice!

Old 05-29-2008, 12:41 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,434,707 times
Default Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoldie View Post
It's being near BIG water for me. It's also one of the cheapest places in the country. I couldn't afford to pay anywhere near those prices elsewhere and it seems a lot of places I use to like have now deteriorated or changed alot. I like the ease of living, the friendliness, the diverse day trip scenarios that are available from the mtns to the 1000 Islands to the Finger Lakes to the major Canadian cities, as well as the availability of being close to their unique point of view. I like the rolling hills and the lack of congestion, the forests and the desolate beaches. Like New England without the cost or hassle. Family is here too.
What part of upstate are you in if you don't mind my asking. My husband use to have a cabin in Andes.

Old 05-29-2008, 12:51 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,434,707 times
Default Check PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phish Head View Post
By the way, we are looking at moving no more than 3 hours away from Monmouth County, NJ. Can anyone offer any info on:

Lehigh Valley, PA -vs- Scranton/Poconos, PA -vs- Capital Region, NY

My wife is a teacher, and I can work from any location in NY, NJ or PA. Please, any help comparing these areas would be helpful. Thanks!
Hi, for the Lehigh Valley go to the Pennsylvania forum. They have some great information on there. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York