Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 04:06 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,199,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DagsNJ View Post
Because my parents are from here and no other reason.

Im moving out West as soon as I find a job. Upstate NY ****ing sucks.

Had ENOUGH of these ****ing winters. ENOUGH. Can't think of a worse place with a worse climate.
Adios.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2015, 06:13 AM

338 posts, read 556,618 times
I live here because it's a central point from most of my family. Couple hours east is my dad's family, couple hours west is my mom's, and a couple hours south is my sibling.

I don't exactly enjoy it here but I like being able to have Sunday dinner more than twice a year.

Old 02-19-2015, 06:44 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,199,743 times
I live in Upstate because I grew up here, moved away, and then eventually moved back when I decided that this place was the best place for me to be. I like the climate, especially the summers. I love the geography of the Upstate which gives us so many hills and so many lakes. I like the racial, ethnic, and religious diversity that you find not only in Upstate cities, even small ones, but also in many rural areas, most notably with the numerous Amish communities that are located all around Upstate. I like the "live and let live" attitude of most Upstaters.

In my part of Upstate, the western Southern Tier, it's predominantly rural with 1 small city (Jamestown, where I live) and a couple of overgrown towns that are called cities, Dunkirk and Olean. It moves to a variety of seasonal rhythms produced by farmers, sportsmen, and tourists, but mostly it moves slower than in bigger places -- and with better manners. Four cars arriving at a four way stop at about the same time can cause a traffic jam because everybody will wave the other guy on.

Old 02-19-2015, 08:56 AM

148 posts, read 228,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
I live in Upstate because I grew up here, moved away, and then eventually moved back when I decided that this place was the best place for me to be. I like the climate, especially the summers. I love the geography of the Upstate which gives us so many hills and so many lakes. I like the racial, ethnic, and religious diversity that you find not only in Upstate cities, even small ones, but also in many rural areas, most notably with the numerous Amish communities that are located all around Upstate. I like the "live and let live" attitude of most Upstaters.

In my part of Upstate, the western Southern Tier, it's predominantly rural with 1 small city (Jamestown, where I live) and a couple of overgrown towns that are called cities, Dunkirk and Olean. It moves to a variety of seasonal rhythms produced by farmers, sportsmen, and tourists, but mostly it moves slower than in bigger places -- and with better manners. Four cars arriving at a four way stop at about the same time can cause a traffic jam because everybody will wave the other guy on.

You're in WNY.

Old 02-19-2015, 11:13 AM

93,326 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DagsNJ View Post
You're in WNY.
It is just a region within Upstate NY.

Old 05-13-2015, 07:21 PM

10 posts, read 13,340 times
I love that post miss Linda D
Sounds like heaven to me. People are very rude where I live and very dishonest! I'm an Avon lady so I run into alot of issues here. I cannot wait to get moved there ♥
PS~ The average low here in NM is -20 at night in the winter with blasting wind.... The winters in upstate NY sound like a dream to me

Old 05-13-2015, 08:27 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lelabell View Post
I love that post miss Linda D
Sounds like heaven to me. People are very rude where I live and very dishonest! I'm an Avon lady so I run into alot of issues here. I cannot wait to get moved there ♥
PS~ The average low here in NM is -20 at night in the winter with blasting wind.... The winters in upstate NY sound like a dream to me
If you don't mind me asking, but what part of NM are you referring to?

Old 07-12-2019, 08:47 AM

3 posts, read 1,595 times
Smile Born here probably going to die here

Born in rochester lived in batavia moved to clarence then williamsville then west seneca I love the people and the atmosphere plus I like going to canada when the feeling strikes me. Very good food when I am away from home the bathrooms are really dirty in other states been to PA through the whole state the only clean bathrooms i could find were in my hotel room. And lobby bathrooms in the hotel I love having a simple road system and not too much traffic on the 90 and 33...

That being said the drivers around buffalo and the surrounding area drive like dicks. I try to stay far away fron other drivers especially on the 33 and I do get mad at people cruising in the left lane that don't move over. I know it illegal to pass on the right lane but come on yield to the other lane until it is clear. Don't get me started on route 5 east near akron the other day someone was creating a traffic jam going 35 or 40 in a 55 zone. And then there are the brake checks and middle fingers along with the dreaded cutoffs. I can't tell how many times I have been cut off at speed limit pulled in front of or forced off the road by oblivious drivers that don't get up to speed. With that being said driving in wny sometimes sucks plus you got the police speed traps thank god for waze. I speed to get away from people and get into a safe area i call it or a zen zone. I usually set my crusie at 72 and keep a good pace unless merging into fast lane then i speed match with the other lane and cruise when i find an opening in the slow lane that keeps me in my zen zone.

The other thing I like about WNY is that we have beautiful scenic routes everywhere and I will say PA is very nice scenery to drive through. We also border another country and PA. NYC craziness is 8 hours away from upstate roads are pretty pot holy in wny upstate has a huge abundance of crops and a lot of our tax money get's siphoned down to NYC but i love the food and the people in the upstate area so that's what keeps me here

Old 07-18-2019, 06:52 AM

1,962 posts, read 1,817,789 times
I've lived in Upstate for the better part of the last 12 years. Mostly in the 1000 Islands region and now the Rochester area. I'll break it down into what I like and dislike about upstate.

DISLIKE: Not a fan of the taxes (but who is?) and a lot of the laws/politics. I lean towards the right on most topics but pretty middle of the road on most things. Not a fan of far left/right politics like many people I've encountered. It's a shame that NYC has so much control of Upstate. And don't get me started on the Governor. The winters can be long and harsh, especially being in the lake effect regions. Usually by March/April I am sick of the cold/snow. Other than that those are really the only 2 complaints I have.

LIKE: I love all of the natural beauty Upstate has to offer, from the ADK's, Finger Lakes, 1000 Islands, and so much more. I'm a huge sports fan and Upstate has some of the best sports fans/teams in the country. Love going to Bills, Sabres, Orange B-ball, and Watkins Glen races. The 4 season are fantastic (yes even winter). Summer and fall can't be beat in my opinion. Traffic and crowds are never an issue when compared to other larger cities. I love all of the festivals (big and small), craft fairs, country fairs, etc. The schools are great. Some of the very best schools in other states would be considered average at best up here. And you can't overlook the people. I have met some of the nicest people and have some of the best neighbors anyone could ask far. So sure if I'll stay here my whole life but I don't plan on leaving anytime soon!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York