Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best place to have a family vacation in late Spring?
New York City 6 40.00%
Lake Placid 0 0%
Rochester 3 20.00%
Finger Lakes Region 3 20.00%
other, leave a comment 3 20.00%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 11:13 PM

2,972 posts, read 8,214,930 times

Advertisements

Having lived all my life in Buffalo (NY), I'd like to see my own state before seeing the whole Country. Please tell me where you live and what is good about vacationing there. If it's a place in New York (not just NYC, but anywhere in the state) you visited and liked, I'd appreciate hearing about too.

Serious and honest posts, please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2009, 09:32 AM

1,293 posts, read 4,999,046 times
Thousand islands, plenty of camping and great scenery. Depending on where you go, there are alot of little shops and restaurants to visit.
I havnt been to it yet, but they do a pirates weekend. All kinds of vintage boats, people dressed up, food, I hear its a great time.

Old 01-26-2009, 10:15 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,718,665 times
NYC or the Lake Placid/Adirondacks. Rochester and the finger lakes are too close and can be done in a simple day trip.

Old 01-26-2009, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese9988 View Post
Thousand islands, plenty of camping and great scenery. Depending on where you go, there are alot of little shops and restaurants to visit.
I havnt been to it yet, but they do a pirates weekend. All kinds of vintage boats, people dressed up, food, I hear its a great time.
Something scenic is definately something I'm looking for. Thanks for the suggestion. We're looking to plan something for late spring or early summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239
NYC or the Lake Placid/Adirondacks. Rochester and the finger lakes are too close and can be done in a simple day trip.
I'd love to see the Adirondacks. Thanks for your suggestion.

Old 01-26-2009, 01:42 PM

406 posts, read 1,451,180 times
Another vote for the Lake Placid area. We almost wound up moving there, still love it and love to visit often. PM me for a great recommendation for a B&B in the area.

Old 01-26-2009, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomvang View Post
Another vote for the Lake Placid area. We almost wound up moving there, still love it and love to visit often. PM me for a great recommendation for a B&B in the area.
We still have a few weeks to decide, if it's Lake Placid, I'll DM. Thanks.

Old 01-26-2009, 05:53 PM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
I liked Old Forge in the Adirondacks. It's is a nice little village in the middle of the mountains, with a beautiful lake right next to it. Good place to camp or go to the Enchanted Forest Water Park. In the winter, I believe they have a ski resort too.

I like Sylvan Beach on the Eastern side of Oneida Lake. Nice little beach side amusement park that looks like it is right out of New Jersey or Long Island. There are some good restaurants there too.

Sackets Harbor near Watertown and the 1000 Islands is a nice historic town with a cute business area. I believe they have a comedy club there too.

Along with Lake Placid, check out Saranac Lake and Tupper Lake, as those 3 communities together comprise of the Tri-Lakes area of the Adirondacks. Saranac Lake has a Winter Carnival. here's info. on those two communities:Saranac Lake, NY - In The Heart Of The Adirondacks, #1 small town in New York State, #11 in the U.S.A., Family Attractions, Retirement, Real Estate, Banking, Hiking, Fishing, Canoeing, Skiing, Winter Sports, Outdoor Recreation, The Arts, Center of th
Chamber of Commerce for the Town and Village of Tupper Lake

Cooperstown would be a good choice too. They have the Baseball Hall of Fame and the Farmer's Museum too. Welcome to Cooperstown, NY from the Cooperstown Chamber of Commerce

Corning's Museum of Glass is OK too. Nice little city with a few places to stop and check out. Experience Corning, NY - Welcome to Corning, New York in the heart of the Finger Lakes Wine Country (experiencecorningny.com)

Ithaca is another city to check out in the Finger Lakes Region. Complete guide to Ithaca, NY hotels, attractions, dining, shopping and recreation with maps and driving directions. The official web site of Ithaca, New York and Tompkins County Convention and Visitors Bureau in the Finger Lakes.

Oswego has Harborfest in the summer and is another historic city on Lake Ontario. Beautiful sunsets too. The Official Web Site of the City of Oswego

There are plenty of places to check out around the state. Skaneateles, Albany, Canandaigua, Lake George, Saratoga Springs and the Plattsburgh/Lake Champlain area.

Old 01-26-2009, 06:09 PM

Someone told me Lake Champlain is beautiful any time of the year.

Thank you ckhthankgod for all the great suggestions and links.

Old 01-26-2009, 10:03 PM

922 posts, read 3,861,784 times
FedUp -- let me be the first to invite you to the City!

All of the places mentioned by the other posters are certainly beautiful and I've been to many of them. Maybe it's just me, but I'm not sure how to spend an more than a day or two in some of these places without getting a little bored. And if kids are involved, of course, they can get antsy. There is certainly some appeal in going to a place to just relax and loaf around, if that's what you feel like.

I'll assume you have a week, so I'd suggest seeing a little of everything! Wind your way across upstate then cap it off with fun in the city! Here is a suggested itinerary:

Day 1: Finger Lakes
Day 2: Central New York plus Cooperstown (if you are into baseball) or Capital District/Saratoga
Day 3 & 4: Adirondacks
Day 4, 5, 6 Hudson Valley and NYC, maybe Long Island if you like the ocean.
Day 7: Drive home (or rent a car with unlimited mileage, drive it all week, then drop it off and fly home one way from NYC)

If you need specific recommendations/advice for NYC, DM me.

Old 01-26-2009, 10:48 PM

Upstater, yes, we're considering a full week, one or two stops might be nice though. We'll probably drive to & fro of the family vacation and I have a couple of kids (myself included ) who'd love to see Cooperstown. Baseball is "All American"

I was born a "New Yorker" and I would love to spend atleast a month getting to know "Lady Liberty" (with my camera). I have never seen "The Statue" with my own eyes in all my years as a Buffalonian.

With your road trip plan, it's good. Thanks for your suggestions. If, or when considered that is, I'll be DM'ing. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York