U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-18-2009, 03:03 PM
 
686 posts, read 1,632,239 times
Reputation: 156

Advertisements

ERS/USDA Data - Population change 1990-2007 for New York

Hey every one last night i came across this website and it showed me much of the counties in are state are losing population.

1. why are people leaving?

2. Where are they going?

3. Will it continue down or will some parts do better?

I think some causes of this is bacause mostly taxes and jobs and possibly long gray snowy winters play a small part in it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-18-2009, 03:28 PM
 
78,406 posts, read 106,387,283 times
Reputation: 16769
Well, most people are either going "down South" or to other major cities across the country. I think it due more to the job situation than anything else, but taxes and weather play a part as well. I think some areas will do better than others due to their ability to bounce back and the vision that the people have for their area. For instance, I believe Ithaca is projected to be one of the few cities in the country to have job gains this year. It doesn't hurt to have an Ivy League institution and a couple of other colleges in the area. Binghamton and Saratoga Springs are couple of areas that were doing better and could bounce back soon too.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2009, 04:12 PM
 
686 posts, read 1,632,239 times
Reputation: 156
well ithaca and binghamton have been doing poorly for a while and i don't see how they could bounce when buisnesses keep moving to right to work states, also theres not that much in that area to begin with i've been through there and when gas prices start soar again and they will, it's going to hurt that area even more, but on the other hand there is always possibilty it could do better, I just hope upstate ny doesn't boom like some parts of the south and ruin all this state's naturual beauty though I dout it will.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2009, 04:31 PM
 
Location: NYC
305 posts, read 968,051 times
Reputation: 149
Well, I was one of the people who picked up and moved south- boy was that a mistake, now we are looking to catch the first job back to New York. My spouse is looking to go to NYS corrections and I will be finishing up my nursing RN - We are looking upstate and heard Hudson was pretty nice. Do you have any suggestion, we have a 10 year old daughter so schools are important we want to rent and then purchase something within the price range of 1400 to 1500

Whatever you do dont move south
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2009, 04:53 PM
 
78,406 posts, read 106,387,283 times
Reputation: 16769
Quote:
Originally Posted by adirondackguy123 View Post
well ithaca and binghamton have been doing poorly for a while and i don't see how they could bounce when buisnesses keep moving to right to work states, also theres not that much in that area to begin with i've been through there and when gas prices start soar again and they will, it's going to hurt that area even more, but on the other hand there is always possibilty it could do better, I just hope upstate ny doesn't boom like some parts of the south and ruin all this state's naturual beauty though I dout it will.
Actually, Ithaca and Tompkins County has been gaining people. So, that's not true about that area. Same with the Saratoga Springs/Saratoga County area.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2009, 05:01 PM
 
78,406 posts, read 106,387,283 times
Reputation: 16769
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMISSNY View Post
Well, I was one of the people who picked up and moved south- boy was that a mistake, now we are looking to catch the first job back to New York. My spouse is looking to go to NYS corrections and I will be finishing up my nursing RN - We are looking upstate and heard Hudson was pretty nice. Do you have any suggestion, we have a 10 year old daughter so schools are important we want to rent and then purchase something within the price range of 1400 to 1500

Whatever you do dont move south
Try the Plattsburgh area, Auburn/Cayuga County, the Elmira/Corning area, the Watertown area and the Utica/Rome area, among others. I say that because those areas would be good for both of you and I believe that the nursing field is fine across the state, for the most part. Here's an example of this:Central New York Jobs in Healthcare - Nursing This might be of importance for your spouse:Facility Listing » NYS Department of Correctional Services

You might be able to live in a nearby county, that might have more to offer or has a bigger city as well.

Here's another site you might like too. All you have to do is click on a county and the hospitals in that county will show up. Just click on one and it will show you a website for the hospital and will most likely have an employment section on the site:http://hospitals.nyhealth.gov/

Here's another thing you would like to check out:https://www.nystart.gov/publicweb/Home.do?year=2007 (broken link)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2009, 05:08 PM
 
686 posts, read 1,632,239 times
Reputation: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMISSNY View Post
Well, I was one of the people who picked up and moved south- boy was that a mistake, now we are looking to catch the first job back to New York. My spouse is looking to go to NYS corrections and I will be finishing up my nursing RN - We are looking upstate and heard Hudson was pretty nice. Do you have any suggestion, we have a 10 year old daughter so schools are important we want to rent and then purchase something within the price range of 1400 to 1500

Whatever you do dont move south

What's wrong with going south, that's where the jobs are heading.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2009, 05:31 PM
 
78,406 posts, read 106,387,283 times
Reputation: 16769
Quote:
Originally Posted by adirondackguy123 View Post
What's wrong with going south, that's where the jobs are heading.
Or out West or overseas. I don't think the South is that bad, depending on where you go, what you are used to and what you like to do.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2009, 08:25 PM
 
2,359 posts, read 8,681,449 times
Reputation: 1132
Wow, I'm surprised Orange County has grown so much....nearly 70,000 in 17 years!

Looks like Orange County is the big winner Downstate and Saratoga County is the big winner in Upstate. (Saratoga County grew 34,000 between 1990 and 2007!)

That stinks that Staten Island (Richmond County) is now larger than Syracuse's county (Onondaga County). Well, at least we are not alone. Westchester County over took Buffalo's county (Erie County) in population.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2009, 08:42 PM
 
686 posts, read 1,632,239 times
Reputation: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellafinzi View Post
Wow, I'm surprised Orange County has grown so much....nearly 70,000 in 17 years!

Looks like Orange County is the big winner Downstate and Saratoga County is the big winner in Upstate. (Saratoga County grew 34,000 between 1990 and 2007!)

That stinks that Staten Island (Richmond County) is now larger than Syracuse's county (Onondaga County). Well, at least we are not alone. Westchester County over took Buffalo's county (Erie County) in population.

Yeah i know, i live in orange county and the urban sprawl is just disgusting, I think much of upstate new york won't be hit by urban sprawl
because there's not much there outside of syracuse,rochester,buffalo,albany,binghamton and saratoga springs, also commute times would be too long for most, especialy when gas prices rise in a few years.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:09 AM.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top