Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Battle of the WNY skyline - Buffalo or Rochester?
Buffalo 32 42.11%
Rochester 33 43.42%
I Hate both 11 14.47%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 10:02 PM

1,576 posts, read 5,346,055 times

Advertisements

BUFFALO:

(my photo - not copyrighted).

ROCHESTER:

Rochester photo credit to Yo on Flickr: Flickr Photo Download: My Town, Rochester NY

What are your thoughts, opinions, preferences, and contemplation on how each skyline can improve, etc.

Please share what's on your mind on these two Western New York cities and their skylines in general!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2009, 04:17 PM

57 posts, read 198,971 times
Rochester's skyline is more impressive.

Old 02-19-2009, 06:11 PM

1,293 posts, read 4,996,709 times
Its tough, Buffalo has more of the older art-deco buildings, and I would think there are more high rises. I've seen a few city halls up close and I have to say Buffalo's is hands down the best, its like a cathedral inside, not to mention its mammoth size. Don't forget some beauties like the old central terminal (defunct) and the electric tower. The waterfront is being fixed up and adds that little extra touch. Buffalo's skyline is very spread out compared to Rochester, most of Rochesters skyline is contained within the inner loop.

Rochester has a newer look to it, the Bauch & Lomb building is is my favorite in the city, it has the indoor garden inside. The bridge adds a nice new touch to the city. The city hall is very nice on the inside, if you goto the second floor, there are three more floors of marble archways, indoor ponds and skylights, not as nice as Buffalo city hall, but worth seeing. The large corporations and corporate headquarters gives the city a feel of financial wealth. Rochester doesn't have a water front downtown, but it does have the Genesee river in the High Falls area that gives a great view of the water fall.

I grew up in Buffalo, I now live in Rochester. I think I'll wait and look at some more photos before I make a vote.

Old 02-19-2009, 06:15 PM

This photo is a little more full (from city-data):

Old 02-19-2009, 06:20 PM

734 posts, read 2,053,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese9988 View Post
Its tough, Buffalo has more of the older art-deco buildings, and I would think there are more high rises. I've seen a few city halls up close and I have to say Buffalo's is hands down the best, its like a cathedral inside, not to mention its mammoth size. Don't forget some beauties like the old central terminal (defunct) and the electric tower. The waterfront is being fixed up and adds that little extra touch. Buffalo's skyline is very spread out compared to Rochester, most of Rochesters skyline is contained within the inner loop.

Rochester has a newer look to it, the Bauch & Lomb building is is my favorite in the city, it has the indoor garden inside. The bridge adds a nice new touch to the city. The city hall is very nice on the inside, if you goto the second floor, there are three more floors of marble archways, indoor ponds and skylights, not as nice as Buffalo city hall, but worth seeing. The large corporations and corporate headquarters gives the city a feel of financial wealth. Rochester doesn't have a water front downtown, but it does have the Genesee river in the High Falls area that gives a great view of the water fall.

I grew up in Buffalo, I now live in Rochester. I think I'll wait and look at some more photos before I make a vote.
Keep in mind the topic is about skylines and not the better city or better buildings from the inside or even better from street level in downtown. That said, you're right. I can't vote until I see more- I think I've seen Rochester once in real life and Buffalo never.

Old 02-19-2009, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasS6 View Post
Keep in mind the topic is about skylines and not the better city or better buildings from the inside or even better from street level in downtown. That said, you're right. I can't vote until I see more- I think I've seen Rochester once in real life and Buffalo never.
I google image searched every possible Rochester and Buffalo skyline pic. Both are nice, Buffalo has more buildings and high rises (due to the fact that it was the 3rd most dense city and 6th largest at one time), Rochester never became a major city, though had better days as well. This has a great impact on a skyline because of the golden age years when buildings were built for both grandeur and density needs reasons.

Obviously, having lived in Buffalo my whole life, and gone to Rochester multiple times (it's basically an hour away), I've seen both skylines quite a bit. It is easy for me to say that Buffalo's skyline is better because I live here and try to promote it, but it is far from perfect, and Rochester has a nice base skyline starting. The new tower supposed to be the tallest in Downtown Rochacha, might put it over the edge, but I love the dense amount of high rises Buffalo has.

Old 02-19-2009, 07:22 PM

Buffalo has around 80 high rise buildings, while Rochester has about 50.

(According to Emporis.com)

Old 02-19-2009, 07:33 PM

Quote:
If we are voting about the skyline, in my opinion the buildings themselves definitely will impact it. I think of it like a portrait, you have to take it all in.

Old 02-19-2009, 07:45 PM

734 posts, read 2,053,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalonian4life View Post
(due to the fact that it was the 3rd most dense city and 6th largest at one time)
Wow. I know that 50 or years ago demographics were very different (very Rust Belt-centric) but I never knew that Buffalo was so prominent. When was this? Top 10 or 15? Yeah, I would've bet good money on it, but #6? Color me impressed.

Old 02-19-2009, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Wow. I know that 50 or years ago demographics were very different (very Rust Belt-centric) but I never knew that Buffalo was so prominent. When was this? Top 10 or 15? Yeah, I would've bet good money on it, but #6? Color me impressed.
Buffalo was very prominent at one point in time. It was more than fifty years ago so alot of the younger generations don't know about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York