Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2007, 08:48 PM

3 posts, read 24,919 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend recently accepted a job in Binghamton, NY in the engineering field. It's about an hour and ten minutes west of where we currently live in the Hudson Valley area. Although we never planned on moving there, he was offered a position that will give him the design experience he needs to work towards his P.E. and open up many more job opportunities in his field thanks to the experience he'll gain working there. It just happen to take place in Binghamton where he got his first job offer. We planned on staying for a year, and then looking more towards places we had in mind to live originally. In the mean while, although his job is in Binghamton, we aren't going to live in Binghamton exactly- but rather the surrounding areas like Vestal which is more my speed. I am looking for some advice on the area and opinions. I've seen alot of negative things said about Binghamton itself. For me, I am looking at it as a outsider. Also, as place to live temporarily for the job opportunity while we look at other options during the next year. I see both the positive and negative of the place. I dont know how much time I will spend in Binghamton itself, other then maybe taking advantage of a few novetly shops and places to eat, I think alot of my time will be spent in the surrounding areas for shopping and living.

I have been up there a few times to look around and my first impression of Binghamton was that it is an old city. I can see some of the beauty in the historic buildings that are there, but I think the ones that are abandoned and falling apart right next to them kinda ruins the appeal the historic buildings offer. Although I personally prefer newer cities, I can appreciate an older city as well. With Binghamton, it's a hit and miss. You'll pass this cool looking older style building, and then an closed down building will be right next to it. I dont know, it's not home to me either so there is that foreign feeling at first also. I think thats natural.

I'm not much into the industries thats there. Thats only in certain parts, but I'm sure to stay away from anything industrial.

Vestal was more like my favorite stretch of shopping in the Hudson Valley area. It has the main drag lined with shopping malls and plazas and it has a more "spaced out" feeling to me. I like having the extra room to breathe I suppose. And Johnson City has the mall and some shopping there as well.

So, I am looking for opinions on the daily life there, if anyone adjusted well to the area or not. Maybe someone who had a similar situation like myself, or is a veteran to the area. I've seen posts about the weather being cloudy, and I guess that can be expected during the winter - but what about the summer? I would like to hear opinions about Vestal, Johnson City, and even Binghamton although there has been few supportive statements about that area it seems. (Binghamton) Also, any opinions about Broome Community College.

Thanks for reading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2007, 07:57 AM

140 posts, read 731,738 times
Default relocating to Binghamton for a job

As you appear to have already discovered, there is much more to Binghamton than just the city itself. You are correct in many of your thoughts about Binghamton...the downtown area, despite efforts by the city administration and other pro-Binghamton groups, is dying. Businesses that have been downtown for decades, are leaving for the suburbs or Vestal. Some new trendy restaurants and bars are moving into the downtown area, and some older buildings are being renovated into very upscale loft residences. The only remaining department store, Boscov's, is doing marginally and stays in the area only because of tax incentives to stay. But still, a drive through the downtown area is not very appealing. You won't spend much time in the downtown area.

As you've discovered also, people in this area, are moving to the suburbs, especially Vestal, and some other areas. As you've seen, the Vestal area is turning into a major shopping area, with new stores, shops, restaurants opening all the time. Any piece of land, any old store, or house on the main drag, soon becomes targeted by developers who put in new shopping venues.

The Binghamton, Johnson City, Vestal, Endicott areas tend to be safe although there are still some problem area in Binghamton that those of us who live here never enter.

Medical care is outstanding and very comprehensive.

Lots of very good to outstanding restaurants.

Traffic tends to move along quickly and you likely won't have any traffic jams, per se, to deal with unless there's been a big accident or some road construction project. You can get from one end of the area to the other end in 15 minutes, give or take.

Weather is typical upstate New York. Lots of cloudy days, especially in the fall, winter and early spring. Late spring through early fall tends to be warm, beautiful weather. Can get hot and humid in the summer during heat waves which generally are of short duration.

Broome Commuity College is a highly ranked two year school with a large student population, mostly drawing from the local areas although there are many international students there. Binghamton University is located on the border of Binghamton-Vestal...is very highly rated.

Overall, quality of life in this area is very good. Cost of food, housing, is very reasonable, although gasoline tends to be expensive compared to other areas of the country...(oh! the oil refineries did not know it would get cold in the winter so they have a shortage of gasoline...doesn't it always get cold in the Northeast winters...since the beginning of time???)

Old 03-23-2007, 07:20 PM

8 posts, read 51,880 times
Default binghamton in general

i live in the town of binghamton just about a mile from downtown in the hills. me and my family rarely go downtwon. we usually shop i=on the vestal parkway or at the oakdale mall in JC. people are generally very nice in binghamton, if you dont do anything to make them mad they will respect you. binghatmon is not really growing or declining it is just steady, there have been quite a few new stores openining recently, overall it has a ncie small town feeling. as for weather you can expect the possibilty of snow from november first through april 15th( longer and the snow will stay on the ground longer outside of town and in higher elevations) but you can also expect some thaws often in the winter, at least in the city itself, outlying areas to the north of twon can have snow on the ground during a bad winter from nov 1st through April 15 . the good thing about the snow is skiing, we ahve two ski resorts close by both elk mountain in NE PA and greek peak in cortland county, both are about 45 minutes away. summer are generally mild, but not as hot as hudson valley summers where it can read 95 100 in an average summer, binghamton rarely goes above 95 and id say avergaes on;y 2-4 90 degree days per year, once again you get outside town and that number goes down to .5-1.5 days per year and in some rural areas it rarely hits 90. of course this area is prone to river flooding idk if you heard about the floods in june 2006, but the water overtopped the floodwalls all over the city, dont by a home near the river, and by near the river i mean within 15 feet elevation from the top of the river bank.

Old 03-23-2007, 08:22 PM

8 posts, read 40,404 times
Default info about sanford ny

Hi just bought property in Sanford near Hancock.Can anyone tell me about this area.Thinking of putting a small cabin on the property and then eventually moving up from LI.Are there any jobs in the area and how are the schools.

Old 03-23-2007, 11:20 PM

3 posts, read 24,919 times
Default In response....

Thank you for all the information! I really appreciate the insight. As I said, upon feeling out the area...I am sure the surrounding areas to Binghamton will probably be more to my liking. I wish Binghamton wasn't a declining city, I can see just how nice it would look if it were completely revamped. However, I recently heard that most upstate New York cities are like that due to the tax demand from New York City on all the other cities like Binghamton, Syracuse, and Buffalo. I dont know if anyone knows more about that.

Thanks again! I'll be checking back!

Old 03-25-2007, 10:52 AM

4 posts, read 23,370 times
Default endicott

If you're thinking of moving to the area, I would also recommend you look into Endicott. It has very low crime and is only about 10 minutes from the plaza's and stores on the Vestal Parkway. It is also an old community, but there aren't as many abandoned houses as in Binghamton. It is also protected from flooding more than the other communities. If you do move to the area outside of Endicott however, be sure to research the flooding in that area first, as our area is very prone to flooding from the Susquehanna and Chenango Rivers, and they usually flood on an annual basis. Most of Vestal however is located on a large hill, and is too high to flood, and Endicott is protected by an extensive floodwall higher than those in Johnson City and Binghamton (it has never been topped by the water) If you move to Vestal, you should also look out for students of Binghamton University. When the University is in session, stores and restaurants are packed up and down the parkway (restaurants often have a minimum of an hour wait around dinnertime during this period). I would recommend Endicott, but Endwell, Vestal, and the east and south sides of Binghamton are also nice. Avoid The west side and downtown areas of Binghamton (these areas are the highest in crime). Also, Johnson City is where much of the industry and abandoned factories are.

Old 04-11-2007, 09:47 PM

8 posts, read 51,880 times
cboa35,. i have a lake house on laurel lake in the town of sanford( near Oquaga lake) the town of sanford is very much wilderness. there are deer, bears, hawks, possums, racoons bobcats, and even mountain lions out there( some of the animals ive seen) if you like the wilderness thing then it should be great. the nearest stores are about 10 miles away in deposit, ny. there are no jobs out there and quite frankly the schools pretty much suck. they have a very low tax base so cant afford new equipment. the natural beauty is wonderful and unspolied. summers will be great. good fun for your family or whom ever you have up there but do not i repeat do not stay in the town of snaford( rural areas) especially on a hilltop during the winter. they get a ton of snow and it just doesnt melt. plows may not plow the roads for days if at all. during most years there will be constant snowcover from november 20th through april 10th and the lakes will be frozen for that period as well. there is nothing to do in the winter( except ski, ice skate, snowmobille) on the weekends. do not live out there year round trust me. way too rural.

Old 04-14-2008, 07:26 AM

49 posts, read 356,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnEarth View Post
Thank you for all the information! I really appreciate the insight. As I said, upon feeling out the area...I am sure the surrounding areas to Binghamton will probably be more to my liking. I wish Binghamton wasn't a declining city, I can see just how nice it would look if it were completely revamped. However, I recently heard that most upstate New York cities are like that due to the tax demand from New York City on all the other cities like Binghamton, Syracuse, and Buffalo. I dont know if anyone knows more about that.

Thanks again! I'll be checking back!
I am one of the apparently few people who do not feel that Binghamton is a declining city, rather the opposite. I have been very interested lately in the amount of investment that has been happening within Binghamton. Homes are being renovated, new stores are opening up. I posted some photos of Binghamton recently that may have illustrated that more, but for instance, these homes:

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc227/upstate-100/binghomerenovation.jpg (broken link)

and stores/restaurants, for example this one:

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc227/upstate-100/bingoldmarket2.jpg (broken link)

And this one on Court Street....so very much "downtown":

And near to that one, this new gym:

And Press Building Downtown Renovation:

Old 07-24-2008, 02:06 PM

93,292 posts, read 123,941,088 times
I thought the West side of Binghamton was the nicest side of town?

Old 08-29-2008, 04:50 PM

1 posts, read 8,945 times
me and my fiance took a ride up to bingo from the poconos and it was a nice ride but a lil boring but i was excited to see binghamton for my fist time so i exited on the downtown binghamton exit and made a left at the light and to be honest it was run down and people looked a lil weird and very poor.but kept driving until i found jc and vestal and i was impressed talking to locals is the best way to found out about the area and alot of them said to stick to endicott or endwell or vestal areas. and the rent is dirt cheap and when we told them how much we pay in rent in the poconos they looked at me like i had two heads so vestal or endicott will be the place we move too.don't get me wrong the poconos is nice but it does'nt balance itself low paying jobs and high rent and i pay the same in gas in the poco's then i would pay in bingo $ 3.62 thats bad pa should be cheaper but it's not..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York