Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 01:42 PM

2 posts, read 4,250 times

Advertisements

Northern NY and by this I mean Upstate is like:the 6th child of a king. he doesn't mean much to anyone but himself. he has a lot to offer but is not high enough on the ladder to be up for consideration. he lives by a different set of rules than his higher up brothers and sisters who's liberal views are like a poets dream and have no real stake in reality. Upstate Ny is beautiful. The Adirondack state park acts as a boundary between southern NY and northern NY. The Adirondacks Have some of the most beautiful places man can ever find and they give way to the St. Lawrence river Valley that starts with the up and down land where roads have been carved into hillsides, laying bare the layers of ancient sediments of long ago. this gives way to the relative flat fertile land of the Valley floor and the Great river its self. one of the few northerly flowing river in the world. The St.Lawrence river Miles across, swift and deep. Paradise for fishing anglers, and breath taking for view finders. A beautiful place, but sad. Employment rate is low and average income even worse. A place struggling to survive, but a place that matters not to those in power. Piece by piece, They are taking from us with no thought about we who live here. We the people of Upstate NY do not matter to the Empire State. We don't help in their elections. we are best seen and not heard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2013, 08:00 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,193,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
THREAD REVIVAL!

Upstate New York is like deliverance with more schools.

(Grain of humor, folks. And truth)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland 544 View Post
There is Upstate and Upstate , Land of no teeth and Health, History, Horses.....Double wides and Olana.... Great place to live.
Sounds like somebody's been visiting the Southern Tier, although Olana is in the Hudson Valley.

Upstate is like East Tennessee ... with fewer varieties of Baptists.

Old 07-17-2013, 08:00 AM

289 posts, read 399,582 times
Upstate NY- is the winter version of Florida with the elderly.

Only in Upstate NY - Can you open a pizzeria with a microwave , loaf of bread and a jar of ketchup , with lines out of the door.

Only in Upstate NY- you can drive yourself to work in your house.

Only in Upstate NY- being in the same State (LOL) signs on the eateries , deli's stating- NY style Food to gain customers.

Old 07-17-2013, 08:52 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,536,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
Sounds like somebody's been visiting the Southern Tier, although Olana is in the Hudson Valley.

Upstate is like East Tennessee ... with fewer varieties of Baptists.
HAHA

I grew up in the southern tier, or as I call it, further Pennsylvania. I have been to east and middle Tennessee a lot as well.

Yes. The southern tier is definitely a lot like eastern Tennessee. It really is. Different accents perhaps, but some people are just as hard to understand.

Old 07-17-2013, 10:03 AM

Quote:
HAHA

I grew up in the southern tier, or as I call it, further Pennsylvania. I have been to east and middle Tennessee a lot as well.

Yes. The southern tier is definitely a lot like eastern Tennessee. It really is. Different accents perhaps, but some people are just as hard to understand.
It's also known as "Pennsyltucky" for a lot reasons, not the least of which is how many people from the northern Appalachans (ie, Kentucky, Tennessee, Pennsylvania, and West Virginia) moved to the area beginning in the 1940s to work in the factories. To the folks in the little towns and cities in NW PA, New York cities like Jamestown and Olean still seem like "boom towns". During WW II and until the 1970s, they were even more so.

Old 07-17-2013, 10:33 AM

Quote:
It's also known as "Pennsyltucky" for a lot reasons, not the least of which is how many people from the northern Appalachans (ie, Kentucky, Tennessee, Pennsylvania, and West Virginia) moved to the area beginning in the 1940s to work in the factories. To the folks in the little towns and cities in NW PA, New York cities like Jamestown and Olean still seem like "boom towns". During WW II and until the 1970s, they were even more so.
Just a quick correction, those are the central Appalachians (Which also happen to characterize the southern tier on NY). The northern Appalachians are in New England and eastern Canada.

And yeah I remember the term Pennsyltucky. I had family on both sides of the twin tiers so I always felt a part of it.

Fun fact; when I moved here to Louisiana, nobody (outside of a fellow from Pennsylvania who is now a dear friend; happened to move here on the same weekend I did. He recognized some old local slang from the area) knew I was from the north unless I told them. I easily blended in.

Old 07-17-2013, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Just a quick correction, those are the central Appalachians (Which also happen to characterize the southern tier on NY). The northern Appalachians are in New England and eastern Canada.

And yeah I remember the term Pennsyltucky. I had family on both sides of the twin tiers so I always felt a part of it.

Fun fact; when I moved here to Louisiana, nobody (outside of a fellow from Pennsylvania who is now a dear friend; happened to move here on the same weekend I did. He recognized some old local slang from the area) knew I was from the north unless I told them. I easily blended in.
A lot of people don't realize how much like the South, particularly the Appalachian culture, the Southern Tier is even today. It's much more like the South than it is like the East Coast.

Old 07-17-2013, 07:01 PM

Quote:
A lot of people don't realize how much like the South, particularly the Appalachian culture, the Southern Tier is even today. It's much more like the South than it is like the East Coast.
It is. Heck, I remember the first time my aunt took me up to Rochester. We may have been in the same state, only a few hours from home, but MAN was it a different culture all around. I stood out like a sore thumb, according to my aunt (she had lived in Henrietta for a while at this point).

I really felt out of place. The hills were gone, the people were so... frantic! It was like my head was spinning. XD

I remember going to bluegrass festivals in summer and pumpkin festivals in the fall. I miss those things. Louisiana can be really fun, but it is very different here. Hardly anybody here has even had apple cider!

I always disagreed with the idea that the entire northeast is "east coast". Once you get inland it's just as country/small town as the rest of America. Not to mention absolutely beautiful with those ancient mountains.

I always wonder why so many people can't think of the region beyond the Bos-Wash.

Old 07-18-2013, 07:14 AM

Quote:
It is. Heck, I remember the first time my aunt took me up to Rochester. We may have been in the same state, only a few hours from home, but MAN was it a different culture all around. I stood out like a sore thumb, according to my aunt (she had lived in Henrietta for a while at this point).

I really felt out of place. The hills were gone, the people were so... frantic! It was like my head was spinning. XD

I remember going to bluegrass festivals in summer and pumpkin festivals in the fall. I miss those things. Louisiana can be really fun, but it is very different here. Hardly anybody here has even had apple cider!

I always disagreed with the idea that the entire northeast is "east coast". Once you get inland it's just as country/small town as the rest of America. Not to mention absolutely beautiful with those ancient mountains.

I always wonder why so many people can't think of the region beyond the Bos-Wash.
I agree. I grew up outside of Gowanda, which is "only" about 35 miles south of Buffalo but it was much further away culturally. I lived in Buffalo for 20 years, but I was close enough to come home on weekends. I lived in Albany for 10 years after that, and it made me realize how different the western part of New York, from about Syracuse west, is from the eastern part, and how much the Southern Tier was different still from either. I could never live in/around Albany or Buffalo -- or any really large city -- again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York