Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 08:22 PM

3,512 posts, read 9,426,438 times

Advertisements

Some say the United States is heading into an economic Depression. Given the following two choices, where would you rather live during a Depression and why?

New York City suburbs

OR

The suburbs outside Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse and Albany

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2009, 10:58 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,447,355 times
I'd never want to live in a suburb again period. Fake people, been there, done that.

Old 03-09-2009, 08:52 AM

1,293 posts, read 4,998,248 times
Not sure how NYC is to live. But alot of times Upstate, it is cheaper to live in the city. When we were looking for a house in Rochester the taxes jumped up $500/yr just to go up a couple blocks into Irondequoit. Not to mention in the city everything is closer so you do not have to drive as much. It may be possible to get around without a car in certain sections of Rochester, probably would be easier to do in Buffalo.

So basically either way, cost of living is cheaper. I know people who live in the suburbs who have well water, septec systems and are always getting power outages during storms. We didn't invent technology for me to go back to the boondocks. Sorry sidetrack.

Old 03-09-2009, 11:43 AM

151 posts, read 713,909 times
Niether. NY has become is like an old soviet block country. There really is no such thing as home or land ownership in NY. Property taxes are so high you basically renting from the government and it is actually cheaper to rent than to buy. NYC and suburbs have the highest rents in the world.

With that said it gets a little better upstate with real estate and rents being somewhat cheaper. There are however no jobs up there and the local economies are in shambles thanks to the oppressive tax policies. Again, upstate NY counties are ranked near the top of the list in counties in the US with the highest property taxes.

Upstate NY is beautiful place to live but if you can afford it. With some land you could grow your own food to help in a depression but the high costs will make it more difficult than it is in other regions.

Old 03-09-2009, 03:42 PM

504 posts, read 1,493,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese9988 View Post
But alot of times Upstate, it is cheaper to live in the city. When we were looking for a house in Rochester the taxes jumped up $500/yr just to go up a couple blocks into Irondequoit.
You're right, there's no hard and fast rule about where you're going to find the lowest taxes upstate. The city of Rochester doesn't have the highest taxes in Monroe county, but it's up there. This little utility from the D&C for calculating property taxes in NYS is pretty interesting - 2007 Tax Rates. It's old but from my experience it's still pretty accurate. According to the database, if you had a gone out a little further, into the town of Webster, you'd find a lower tax rate than either Rochester or Irondequoit. But, as you pointed out, the cost of living might be higher and the home prices definitely are.

You just have to crunch the numbers on a case by case basis. I was surprised to learn that residents of the village of East Rochester pay the most taxes of anyone in Monroe county. Where did you land?

Old 03-09-2009, 03:50 PM

1,293 posts, read 4,998,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpicard View Post
Niether. NY has become is like an old soviet block country. There really is no such thing as home or land ownership in NY. Property taxes are so high you basically renting from the government and it is actually cheaper to rent than to buy. NYC and suburbs have the highest rents in the world.

With that said it gets a little better upstate with real estate and rents being somewhat cheaper. There are however no jobs up there and the local economies are in shambles thanks to the oppressive tax policies. Again, upstate NY counties are ranked near the top of the list in counties in the US with the highest property taxes.

Upstate NY is beautiful place to live but if you can afford it. With some land you could grow your own food to help in a depression but the high costs will make it more difficult than it is in other regions.
Have you ever lived Upstate??? Its cheap to live up here, and its because of the housing costs. Yes we are the highest taxed, but between Buffalo and Syracuse we are among the cheapest in the nation to buy a home.

I lived in NC, my home here in Rochester costs as much as my apartment did in Raleigh. And I have 1800 sq/ft, a garage, my own driveway and a backyard. You don't have to worry about waiting in traffic, and everything is close by. So you save a ton on gas. Food is cheap and the water is cheap.

How can you say it is expensive to live somewhere just based on taxes?

And the economy up here, because we were not involved in a big housing or employment bubble, NY, as of last month had lower unemployment rates then alot of other states. Sometimes having a steady economy is a good thing.

Old 03-15-2009, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese9988 View Post
Have you ever lived Upstate??? Its cheap to live up here, and its because of the housing costs. Yes we are the highest taxed, but between Buffalo and Syracuse we are among the cheapest in the nation to buy a home.

I lived in NC, my home here in Rochester costs as much as my apartment did in Raleigh. And I have 1800 sq/ft, a garage, my own driveway and a backyard. You don't have to worry about waiting in traffic, and everything is close by. So you save a ton on gas. Food is cheap and the water is cheap.

How can you say it is expensive to live somewhere just based on taxes?

And the economy up here, because we were not involved in a big housing or employment bubble, NY, as of last month had lower unemployment rates then alot of other states. Sometimes having a steady economy is a good thing.
Property taxes alone range anywhere between 3k to 20k per year depending on where in the state you are living. Rockland county where I live average around 7 to 10k per year.

With that said I did say in my last post it is better upstate. But again, if you are paying 3-4k a year in taxes and have 2 hour commute since there are no jobs in the woods you are not really saving money with a 200k home long term in the sticks.

Thus my statement stands that due to taxes you do not really own a home in NY but rent from the government.

Old 03-16-2009, 05:21 PM

2,514 posts, read 4,954,287 times

I live upstate now. If those were my only 2 choices, I'd stay put. But since you are talking about a very real possibility, I'd boogie outta
here in the middle of the night & head south a bit. Not that it'll be any better there per se; but at least I'll be warmer under the cardboard tent.

Old 03-16-2009, 06:07 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,590,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpicard View Post
Property taxes alone range anywhere between 3k to 20k per year depending on where in the state you are living. Rockland county where I live average around 7 to 10k per year.

With that said I did say in my last post it is better upstate. But again, if you are paying 3-4k a year in taxes and have 2 hour commute since there are no jobs in the woods you are not really saving money with a 200k home long term in the sticks.

Thus my statement stands that due to taxes you do not really own a home in NY but rent from the government.
That's a really ignorant comment...

first of all, Rockland County is NOT upstate, NY

Second of all...all of Upstate NY is not "the woods"; We have 4 metros with over 700k in population and 2 with over a million. There are plenty of high tech, education, and medical jobs in Buffalo and Rochester.

Please educate yourself.

Old 03-17-2009, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
That's a really ignorant comment...

first of all, Rockland County is NOT upstate, NY

Second of all...all of Upstate NY is not "the woods"; We have 4 metros with over 700k in population and 2 with over a million. There are plenty of high tech, education, and medical jobs in Buffalo and Rochester.

Please educate yourself.
"high tech" jobs, LMAO. But you are the one saying I need to educate myself and making ignorant comments.

Did not say it was exactly "upstate NY" and have family-lived in various parts of the state. The wages are much lower in the cities you mention and the taxes listed by the taxfoundation are among the highest in the nation. To have reasonable housing and taxes means living outside of these cities thus increasing your commute time. The fact is upstate NY traditionally has had high unemployment and low paying jobs. Please educate yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York