Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2009, 11:20 AM

4 posts, read 12,492 times

Advertisements

Was told by a poster that I put this question in the wrong place--hope this is not correct!
I have applied for a SUNY Plattsburgh job, wondering what the working environment is like...

Also, I see that prisons are a big industry in the North Country--with a maximum security one fairly close to Plattsburgh, what is that like?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2009, 08:13 AM

11 posts, read 30,222 times
Hello,
Where would you be moving from? What are you current living conditions like? What are your hobbies?
Pleattsburgh is quite remote and there is not much to do here unless you like to ski and hike.
Sorry,

Old 03-12-2009, 09:08 AM

160 posts, read 564,774 times
Default Yes, and no

Quote:
Originally Posted by katebBJ01 View Post
Pleattsburgh is quite remote and there is not much to do here unless you like to ski and hike.
Sorry,
That's a bit simplistic. If you're a single 20-something or in your early 30s, Plattsburgh and its immediate area don't have the greatest night life.
On the other hand, Burlington and Montreal, which do offer great entertainment for that age group, are an hour away.
For families, I think it's hard to beat this area if you have a job. And as I said in another thread, the prison is not an issue.

Old 03-12-2009, 09:10 AM

3 posts, read 7,518 times
Default what is it like to live in Plattsburgh

You would need to order the warmest winter coat from LL bean and prepare to live in it from November until the end of March at which time you can go down to one pair of socks as well. The flowers don't bloom until about May 10th!
The highlights are the Plattsburgh State hockey games and going over to Burlington for some real shopping and good restaurants.
The people in Plattsburgh are great because you are inside so much you make great friends!

Old 03-13-2009, 01:15 PM

518 posts, read 2,013,762 times
Lightbulb Wow...........

I guess according to J that must be the reason that so many Air Force couples, families and singles have come back to this area after being in many other locations throughout the US/world. Or maybe it's because they like having four seasons and some snow for their kids to play in, and real summers where you can actually go outdoors and not have to stay indoors for 5 months because the heat and humidity are so bad even at 7 at night, that you can't even breathe without sweating. Autumn is also glorious and yes, people do hike, canoe, fish, camp and you don't have to worry about bugs, snakes, nasty people, shootings, crime, locking every single thing you have ever owned in your life away, or people who say they will do a job for you, not do the job correctly and then actually learn about your neighborhood, come back two weeks later and break into your home or car.....I was then told that it happens so frequently and there was so much real crime to deal with in cities that the police don't even bother with such small thefts......My best friends daughter was also working at a fast food place in another well -known city and people came in and bound them up
but decided to rough them all up before they left.........The daughter is still having nightmares and issues two years later......No thanks. Want my kids to be able to work at college jobs, etc. without fear for their lives......not worth it all!!!!!!!

All things being said I enjoy white Christmasses, some snow, and being a born and bred southerner, I can honestly say I would rather have some cold, a nice fireplace and a ski lodge for a couple of months than living in air conditioning for the same amount of time each year.....stuck inside without even knowing your neighbors at all........For a certain time period each year we are all going to be stuck inside for either hot or cold unless maybe you live in California and if you can afford that, then you probably won't be typing on this site. You would be outdoors...........

But hey, to each their own..........if you hate cold or snow don't come here, however many people from the college end up staying her and actually our business area is thriving in spite of the economy due to the Canadian traffic........so somebody must actually enjoy it here!

Old 03-14-2009, 04:33 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,377,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plattsburgher View Post
I guess according to J that must be the reason that so many Air Force couples, families and singles have come back to this area after being in many other locations throughout the US/world. Or maybe it's because they like having four seasons and some snow for their kids to play in, and real summers where you can actually go outdoors and not have to stay indoors for 5 months because the heat and humidity are so bad even at 7 at night, that you can't even breathe without sweating. Autumn is also glorious and yes, people do hike, canoe, fish, camp and you don't have to worry about bugs, snakes, nasty people, shootings, crime, locking every single thing you have ever owned in your life away, or people who say they will do a job for you, not do the job correctly and then actually learn about your neighborhood, come back two weeks later and break into your home or car.....I was then told that it happens so frequently and there was so much real crime to deal with in cities that the police don't even bother with such small thefts......My best friends daughter was also working at a fast food place in another well -known city and people came in and bound them up
but decided to rough them all up before they left.........The daughter is still having nightmares and issues two years later......No thanks. Want my kids to be able to work at college jobs, etc. without fear for their lives......not worth it all!!!!!!!

All things being said I enjoy white Christmasses, some snow, and being a born and bred southerner, I can honestly say I would rather have some cold, a nice fireplace and a ski lodge for a couple of months than living in air conditioning for the same amount of time each year.....stuck inside without even knowing your neighbors at all........For a certain time period each year we are all going to be stuck inside for either hot or cold unless maybe you live in California and if you can afford that, then you probably won't be typing on this site. You would be outdoors...........

But hey, to each their own..........if you hate cold or snow don't come here, however many people from the college end up staying her and actually our business area is thriving in spite of the economy due to the Canadian traffic........so somebody must actually enjoy it here!

Your post is just what I needed to read today...my son just decided to go to SUNY Plattsburgh next year. Thank you & rep!

Old 03-17-2009, 01:32 PM

4 posts, read 12,492 times
Thanks for the info, I am actually at another SUNY in upstate, so i am quite used to the cold! Sounds like a great place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
View detailed profiles of: