U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 11:27 PM

89 posts, read 270,719 times

Advertisements

Hello, I posted here some time back and I am finally back now that my home has sold here in FL. Here is my situation:

I am a NYC native; born and raised there and I am hispanic. I lived in the East Village of Manhattan until I was 21 I got married and my husband and I bought our first home at that time in Orange County, New York in the Town of Montgomery. This is near Walkill, Walden, Goshen, Maybrook, etc... Five years later when I was 26 my husband was offered a general contract in Florida. He is self employed in his own construction business. At the time I was a stay at home mom and still trying to finish college.

We have been in Clermont, Florida for 3 years now. Most of the time I love it here, except for the bad educational situation for my children and serious lack of health benefits here; and not to mention the horrible summer months. I do miss the north very much; which after being on this board for several months I see that many NY transplants feel this way. I miss family, friends, seasons, etc...

While living here I have been able to finish college and am now a licensed elementary teacher. My husbands contract here has expired and he was offered the opportunity to extend it and we decided not to; because we are thinking of going back north.

Now here is my question. I loved NYC and I loved Orange County, but neither are affordable and they don't offer me the lifestyle I want for my children. Both areas have been damaged in my opinion by the NYC fast and rapid lifestyle that I didn't want for my children. What I mean is that I could afford a $400,000 home and thousands in taxes but I don't want to live that way. I also don't want my children attending bad schools. Also schools in my previous hometowns now stink for my children and that is so important for me.

I want to go back north but further up. I don't know about another area though. Where can I get an affordable home $250 or so, low taxes, good schools, good culture; I am an upper class Puerto Rican hispanic - therefore diversity is important. The reason I mention this is because I have seen in other posts from Upstate NY that some of the slums consist of people from my cultural background; although this is my culture I don't represent that negative portion of my culture. Therefore being located somewhere where my children and my family will be accepted regardless of our culture is really important.

We have been researching our options for several months now. We have thought about North Carolina; we have friends there and they now hate it there and are going back north as well I have checked the west coast my sister in law lives there but it is way out of our price range. I can tell you I AM EXHAUSTED and I am so worried about putting my children through such a unknown trial and error time... I know that there is no quick fix to this for my family and I but the opinions and information from these boards are so helpful to people like me...

I have read lots about Rochester, Albany, Buffalo & Syracuse. Opinions on these areas would be great.

Once again thanks for all you info
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2007, 07:49 AM

3,234 posts, read 8,374,306 times
Any of the 4 cities will be fine. I live in a pretty mixed neighborhood in Rochester and everybody seems to get along fine. I have not heard of any big problems in any of the other cities with races. Buffalo may be a little more segregated than the other cities, but you still have some mixed race neighborhoods. Buffalo and Rochester will probally have a bit more diversity, but Syracuse and Albany have their share too. You can get a house in any of those cities in your price range. You have to keep in mind that none of these places are anywhere near NYC as far as diversity goes, but you shouldn't have any problems.

Old 03-23-2007, 09:35 AM

3 posts, read 23,526 times
Default Syracuse

Greetings from Syracuse, NY. I've lived here for almost 25 years and am actually on the way out. I'll do my best to recap what Syracuse looks like.

Economy

Like other cities in the rust belt, Syracuse has struggled to transition from a manufacturing-based economy to a technology-based economy. While the unemployment rate is fairly low (4%), Syracuse has trouble keeping young workers and has seen only a modest rate of population growth since the 1970's (only ~3%). Businesses leaders try to launch initiatives to reinvigorate the economy but invariably the local politicians bog down and eventually kill the project.

The median home price is ~$109k in the city and ~$140k in the affluent suburbs (e.g. Manlius).

Taxes

This is a fairly liberal state, even in the Upstate region. The result is oppressively high taxes and a lot of regulations that stifle business. Here's a quick breakdown of taxes:

NY State income tax: 4-6.85%
Onondaga Co. sales tax: 8%
Average property tax: ~$35 per $1000

For a $250k house, that's $8,750 in property taxes per year (ouch).

Eduction

New York is a good state to live in if you're in education. New York pays its teachers well. Also, teachers here even get tenure! Personally, I think that's crazy, but that's another topic altogether.

Like any area, the city schools perform poorly while most of the suburban schools perform well. Education in New York isn't the best, but it isn't a train wreck either like in California.

Weather

There's no two ways to put it: Syracuse weather is depressing. We get around 150" of precipitation per year. Over 100" of that is snow. We also have over 200 cloudy days. I once overheard someone say that "Syracuse is where the clouds go to die." It's true.

Average high temperature in July is ~81F. Average low temperature in January is ~14F, but it can get much colder. The high temperature a few weeks ago was 8F and well into negative territory for the low.

Diversity

Syracuse is mostly white/black/Asian (65%/25%/3%). There really isn't a measurable Hispanic population in Syracuse. A friend of mine who is from Puerto Rico recently moved from Syracuse to Raleigh, NC. One of her reasons for moving was a desire to live in an area with a larger Hispanic population.

Well, that's about it. As I mentioned at the beginning of my posting, I'm planning on leaving Syracuse. Raleigh, NC is in my cross hairs. You should add Raleigh to your list of places to investigate.

Good luck.

Old 03-23-2007, 09:52 AM

Default Thank You Solenoid

I really appreciate the information

Old 03-23-2007, 02:22 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,021,586 times
The largest hispanic population upstate is in Rochester, mostly Puero Rican's in the northeastern section of the city and some in the suburb of Irondequoit.

Old 03-23-2007, 03:39 PM

2,673 posts, read 8,813,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solenoid View Post
Greetings from Syracuse, NY. I've lived here for almost 25 years and am actually on the way out. I'll do my best to recap what Syracuse looks like.

Economy

Like other cities in the rust belt, Syracuse has struggled to transition from a manufacturing-based economy to a technology-based economy. While the unemployment rate is fairly low (4%), Syracuse has trouble keeping young workers and has seen only a modest rate of population growth since the 1970's (only ~3%). Businesses leaders try to launch initiatives to reinvigorate the economy but invariably the local politicians bog down and eventually kill the project.

The median home price is ~$109k in the city and ~$140k in the affluent suburbs (e.g. Manlius).

Taxes

This is a fairly liberal state, even in the Upstate region. The result is oppressively high taxes and a lot of regulations that stifle business. Here's a quick breakdown of taxes:

NY State income tax: 4-6.85%

Eduction

New York is a good state to live in if you're in education. New York pays its teachers well. Also, teachers here even get tenure! Personally, I think that's crazy, but that's another topic altogether.

Like any area, the city schools perform poorly while most of the suburban schools perform well. Education in New York isn't the best, but it isn't a train wreck either like in California.

Weather

There's no two ways to put it: Syracuse weather is depressing. We get around 150" of precipitation per year. Over 100" of that is snow. We also have over 200 cloudy days. I once overheard someone say that "Syracuse is where the clouds go to die." It's true.

Average high temperature in July is ~81F. Average low temperature in January is ~14F, but it can get much colder. The high temperature a few weeks ago was 8F and well into negative territory for the low.

Diversity

Syracuse is mostly white/black/Asian (65%/25%/3%). There really isn't a measurable Hispanic population in Syracuse. A friend of mine who is from Puerto Rico recently moved from Syracuse to Raleigh, NC. One of her reasons for moving was a desire to live in an area with a larger Hispanic population.

Well, that's about it. As I mentioned at the beginning of my posting, I'm planning on leaving Syracuse. Raleigh, NC is in my cross hairs. You should add Raleigh to your list of places to investigate.

Good luck.
Wow, that's a lot of wrong information in one post. If you are going to spend that much time typing, why don't you at least get your facts straight. And you didn't do a good job saying whether you are referring to the city or suburbs or both in some of your points. As you know there is huge difference between the city and suburbs. The city...I would never live in. The suburbs...are a great place to live.

When I get time tonight, I'll try to correct your mistakes.

solenoid, this is not Syracuse.com. You can't post info off the top of your head without backing it up with facts. So why don't you stick with the Raleigh, NC forum, as it's obvious you don't like the Syracuse area.

Old 03-23-2007, 04:42 PM

3 posts, read 23,526 times
bellafinzi: I'm curious to know what information you dispute. Surely not the number of years I've lived here, because that's a fact. :-)

Old 03-23-2007, 05:45 PM

Some corrections....

Economy

You said....... Like other cities in the rust belt, Syracuse has struggled to transition from a manufacturing-based economy to a technology-based economy. While the unemployment rate is fairly low (4%), Syracuse has trouble keeping young workers and has seen only a modest rate of population growth since the 1970's (only ~3%). Businesses leaders try to launch initiatives to reinvigorate the economy but invariably the local politicians bog down and eventually kill the project.

Actually the median selling price of home is about...

$81,000 in the city
$115,000 in Onondaga County
$240,000 in Manlius
$147,000 in Clay

Post Standard March 11, 2007

Taxes

You said..... This is a fairly liberal state, even in the Upstate region. The result is oppressively high taxes and a lot of regulations that stifle business. Here's a quick breakdown of taxes.

Agree, but you fail to mention the main problem. The State cuts taxes on the State level but pushes down State mandates to the local County level...like Medicaid. In Onondaga County, the State mandate of Medicaid consumes nearly one half of the County property tax levy.

You said..... NY State income tax: 4-6.85%

Property taxes in Onondaga County can vary substantially by neighborhood and town. Here are the tax rates in the Syracuse area from last year (most tax rates have gone down a little this year as the County has been decreasing taxes for over a decade)...

Property and School Taxes on a $100,000 house by school district

City ~ $3,544

Town of Cicero
North Syracuse ~ $2,478
Central Square ~ $2,260

Town of Clay-one of two towns that the county actually raised taxes
North Syracuse ~ $2,342
Liverpool ~ $2,728

Town of Lysander
Baldwinsville ~ $2,966
Phoenix ~ $3,072

Town of Salina
Liverpool ~ $2,941
North Syracuse ~ $2,521

Town of DeWitt
Jamesville-DeWitt ~ $2,996
East Syracuse-Minoa ~ $3,300

Town of Manlius
Fayetteville-Manlius ~ $3,326
East Syracuse-Minoa ~ $3,235

Town of Pompey
Fayetteville-Manlius ~ $3,283

Town of Camillus
West Genesee ~ $3,578

Town of Onondaga
Westhill ~ $2,930
West Genesee ~ $2,769

(Source is the Post Standard summer 2006.)

In the Town of Clay, taxes are around $2,500 for every $100,000 your house is worth. Average selling home in Clay is about $150,000, most new construction sell for about $200,000. So most homeowners in my town pay between $2,500 to $7,000 a year in taxes (school and property).

cont....

Old 03-23-2007, 06:22 PM

Weather

You said....There's no two ways to put it: Syracuse weather is depressing. We get around 150" of precipitation per year. Over 100" of that is snow. We also have over 200 cloudy days.

-Syracuse averages 40.05 inches of precipitation per year (1970-2000)

Inches of snow per year for each Upstate city

Syracuse ~ 111.9
Rochester ~ 100.3
Buffalo ~ 97
Albany ~ 62.4

Number of cloudy days per year for each Upstate city

Buffalo ~ 208
Syracuse ~ 205
Rochester ~ 200
Albany ~ 185

Albany doesn't get much, if any lake effect snow during the winter. That's why Albany gets 20 more partly cloudy or sunny days than the other Upstate cities. So if you like your winters without much snow... therefore with less clouds off Lake Ontario and Lake Erie, than Albany is your best bet. Otherwise, the summers in Upstate are about the same.

You said....Average high temperature in July is ~81F. Average low temperature in January is ~14F, but it can get much colder. The high temperature a few weeks ago was 8F and well into negative territory for the low.

True, but why focus on the average low temperature in January unless you are trying bash Syracuse?
Here's Syracuse's average highs for the year:

January's average high 31.4
February average high 33.5
March average high 43.1
April average high 55.7
May average high 68.5
June average high 77.0
July average high 81.7
August average high 79.6
September average high 71.4
October average high 59.8
November average high 47.4
December average high 36.3

-February 2007 in Syracuse was like the coldest February since 1979. It was not a "normal" February by any means.
-The coldest Syracuse got this past winter was -8 degrees. We went below zero about five days this winter.

Diversity

You said... Syracuse is mostly white/black/Asian (65%/25%/3%).

Those stats are for the city, not the suburbs.

You said....There really isn't a measurable Hispanic population in Syracuse. A friend of mine who is from Puerto Rico recently moved from Syracuse to Raleigh, NC. One of her reasons for moving was a desire to live in an area with a larger Hispanic population.

Syracuse has over 12,000 Hispanics, that's not a measurable population?? Then why does Syracuse get Spanish TV stations and radio stations like Univision?

Old 03-23-2007, 09:02 PM

Default Weather Records

How can I get weather records for New York areas? Such as snow fall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York