U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2009, 03:04 PM

3 posts, read 26,151 times

Advertisements

Can I school bus driver that works for a school district collect unemployment benefits? I work for a school district in Rockland County and my employer denied my claim.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2009, 04:24 AM

1,108 posts, read 4,021,603 times
Angry Yes they can!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bus View Post
Can I school bus driver that works for a school district collect unemployment benefits? I work for a school district in Rockland County and my employer denied my claim.
...Unfortunately...when you work for the school districts in Rockland County...they do not offer unemployment benefits......it becomes even harder to believe during the summer...when school is closed from the end of June to the beginning of September......all you can do is find another job at one of the independant school bus companies...but they do not pay as much...

Old 05-28-2009, 05:09 PM

What is the difference if you work for a school district or a independent bus company when it comes to collecting unemployment. My school district cites section 590-10 of the NY labor law.

I applied for benefits during the President"s holiday in Feb. and the Easter break in April and collected. But my employer is fighting me on this. I still have a valid claim open, but can't get a straight answer from anyone

Old 05-29-2009, 07:24 AM

1,492 posts, read 3,494,737 times
I've been a school bus driver for 22 years. The way it works is that a school district-being a governmental agency-most have a you sign a letter stating you have a job to return to in September. It means that you are still gainfully employed and not entitled to unemployment benefits. School districts for the most part have negotiated this with the unions that represent the drivers. When you work for a private contractor, you are eligible for unemployment benefits. Since they aren't a governmental agency and they can say you are laid off for the summer months. School districts are law unto themselves.

Here's another kicker that the majority of the public doesn't know. School districts are NOT required to carry disability insurance for their employees. Since they are again a governmental agency, they don't have to offer the coverage. That's why it seems drivers in districts make out so much better-the benefits. Well with first hand experience in how devastating it can be-I fractured my ankle at home-and used up all my sick time and now since I am under 59 1/2, have almost used up everything I saved for my retirement and paid a 30% penalty on the use of my money. I am totally out of luck-not eligible for unemployment-still have my job even though I can't work, not eligible for any social services because my spouse has a retirement-he's out of work too. So working for districts aren't all it's cracked up to be-they couldn't care less if you get hurt and are unable to do your job-too bad your on your own. I am very bitter. 22 years of hard work gone in 4 months. You are really better off with a private contractor-less money, but you've got more to back you in times of need.

Old 06-02-2009, 09:20 AM

Then why is unemployment allowing me to collect benefits? President's week and Easter week.

Old 06-02-2009, 12:44 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,494,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bus View Post
Then why is unemployment allowing me to collect benefits? President's week and Easter week.
It depends on the contract negotiated with the district. Although after working for two school districts, I can't see how you did get unemployment-normally it won't go through. If you were able to get it and are working for a district count yourself as lucky. Most of us don't get a dime when those weeks are off.

Old 02-12-2012, 12:07 PM

1 posts, read 5,026 times
The laws were originally initiated to keep teachers and administrators from being able to collect summer month benefits. It was a good law. They went to college and into that profession knowing the work schedule was 9 months. However, unscrupulous law makers added an amendment to the original law to save money. That's were they screwed you. You were just looking for a job when you found the one you're in. You all need to petition your state legislators to simply abolish the amendment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York