Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2009, 12:00 AM

3 posts, read 10,874 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I have an opportunity to take a sales job in manufacturing in Wellsville NY. I was wondering if I could get your opinions/info about the Wellsville area? Do you guys like the area? I'm 22. Anything for young ppl for myself to do? Whats the shopping like? How close are bigger retail/entertainment venues?

Thanks guys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 11:25 AM

504 posts, read 1,495,478 times
Wellsville is strictly small town and it's very far from any major city. You're at least 2 hours to either Rochester or Buffalo. Hornell is your nearest city, 45 minutes away, an old railroad town, it's very rust belt but it has some decent restaurants and bars. They have a 3 screen movie theater, a wal-mart and a wegmans (excellent grocery store). Village of Alfred is even closer, it's a college town, but very dull.

The good news is as far as small towns in WNY go, Wellsville is one of the coolest. A friend of mine runs a coffee shop/art gallery/vegan restaurant/music venue on main st in Wellsville that I highly recommend. There are also a couple other really good restaurants in the village. You're also not far from Allegany State Park and Letchworth State Park, both of which are really cool.

Bottom line, of the small towns in WNY, it's probably my favorite. But remember you'll be in the middle of nowhere regarding shopping/retail/entertainment/etc.

Old 03-17-2009, 11:05 AM

1,544 posts, read 3,625,052 times
I am not familiar with Wellsville itself, however I visited Hornell and Alfred this past summer for a family reunion. While somewhat isolated, the people in this area are some of the friendliest I have met. Hornell is a small industrial city that is well maintained with a stable downtown business district, a hospital, and within close proximity to Interstate 86. Several miles away is Alfred which is home to Alfred State College and Alfred University. Just off I-86 to the north of Hornell is a large shopping plaza with tenants including Wegmans (a large supermarket chain with a cafe), Olympia Sports, Wal-Mart, Dunkin Donuts, and a clothing store.

Old 03-17-2009, 03:54 PM

79 posts, read 359,511 times
I agree with both of the above post ( I lived in Alfred and had a business based in Hornell for many years and still have friends there) These areas have declined a lot over the years and the small town business aren't anything what they used to be. If you think you could adjust to RURAL Living it could be nice for you (very low cost real estate, lots of open space in the countryside, super nice straight forward people) but beware this is remote rural living.

Old 03-17-2009, 09:45 PM

969 posts, read 2,076,511 times
I like the area a lot, pretty town and country, but like the others indicated, it's pretty remote, maybe one of the more remote areas of NY outside the adirondacks. No matter which direction you go, it's mainly hills and forest and not many people. It's not a place I'd expect a typical 22 year old would enjoy.

Olean is another small city which is not too far away, pretty neat little city with a real downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York