Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 07:32 PM

1 posts, read 3,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjlacey View Post
I hate to burst your bubble, but... Rockland is on the expensive side. Median price is in the $400-$500,000.00 price range for a not too big home although $10,000.00 is realistic for the taxes. Remember you have property tax, and school taxes! separately. on in Sept, the other in Jan.
I live in Orange Co. above Rockland. Will be selling and moving next year. Good Luck

My husband and I are under the impression that the school tax is included in the property tax. If we are wrong, how much can we expect to pay yearly in school taxes in the Nanuet School District?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2007, 09:22 PM

5 posts, read 35,819 times
You can definitely get a nice home in the $500K range in Rockland County. I am a realtor ofr Joyce Realty in Pearl River and there are plenty of nice homes on teh market in that price range. As for the commute, being within 1 hour from East 77th street --that may be the challenge. If your wife is planning on driving and she leaves early in the AM she could make it to east 77th Street within 1 hour--longer coming home.

Old 04-27-2007, 08:59 AM

51 posts, read 192,992 times
Default housing in rockland

yes, you can get a decent, most likely high ranch in rockland in that price range. You can even find houses in the low to mid 400's these days as well. most likely in the same style of house. Prices are coming down a bit but taxes are high in most areas here as well.

We are looking to stay in rockland and there are plenty in that price range right now. And some that i have seen are in very good shape and updates as well.

Old 05-08-2007, 03:03 PM

7 posts, read 112,575 times
Thanks very much for your infomation. Very helpful since we are thinking of moving there from NYC.

Isn't the school tax part of the property tax? If not, how expensive is it?

[quote=SuburbanDweller;48585]Hi,

Our taxes are easily over $10,000 a year, though. School tax here in Clarkstown is quite high.
QUOTE]

Old 05-08-2007, 03:04 PM

7 posts, read 112,575 times
Thanks very much for your infomation. Very helpful since we are thinking of moving there from NYC.

Isn't the school tax part of the property tax? If not, how expensive is it?

SuburbanDweller:"Our taxes are easily over $10,000 a year, though. School tax here in Clarkstown is quite high."

Old 05-08-2007, 04:58 PM

1,341 posts, read 4,905,612 times
What are the colonials going for in the better schools districts of rockland?

Old 05-14-2007, 04:23 PM

52 posts, read 567,313 times
The tax situation is a bit different than in say, NYC where they only get one tax bill. Here you can get two to three, depending on where you live. I can only answer tax question for Clarkstown. The school tax bill is the one everyone hates getting as it is the most expensive (can range from $4 to 7k, in my experience - depending on the home assesment). There is also library tax (the library system here in a word, is amazing). The library tax is roughly $200 to $250 depending on the library.
Here is some info:

• County and town taxes are due between Jan. 1 and 31. Included in the town bill are the taxes that must be paid for special districts, including fire, water, sewer and lighting.

• Village taxes are due between June 1 and 30. Village property owners also must pay town taxes.

• School district and library taxes are due between Sept. 1 and 30. This is generally the most dreaded of all the tax bills because the school portion is usually the highest of all the tax bills.

Colonials in better school districts (Nanuet, Pearl River, Clarkstown) probably go from $500 and up. I'm sure you'd be able to find something cheaper but they tend to go quickly from what I can see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York