Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2006, 12:44 AM

1,126 posts, read 3,847,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggy
Good question. I play this game often. Here is my prediction
FL --> NC --> TN --> KY
That is my guess too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2006, 12:52 AM

1,126 posts, read 3,847,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeman
I just replied with the tone that I get when I post on the NC forum, "If you don't like it, go back where you came from". You are correct, it was rude, however I only get rude with ignorant people like yourself that have no idea what they are talking about. I will not be staying where I am because I live in NC right now. How long have you been living in NY?
I looked up your area where you live and the stats show its nice, educated, and the average income is $53k a year. Not as you said. Crime is even a 2!

Old 08-05-2006, 06:57 AM

1,118 posts, read 4,749,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeward bound
Loneliness is corrosive, and illusions and fakes can't satisfy. But it sure takes time for people to see that cacooning in an air-conditioned, phony-colonial home between shopping malls and under the sad umbrella of endless satellite TV just saps you--and doesn't even teach your kids how to share, take turns, moderate appetites, live in a real community.
Homeward bound: I realize this thread has been underway for quite some time - I've been reading through it from it's first post. I'm very impressed with your writing style - it is very vivid. "...sad umbrella of endless satellite TV..." Good job!

(I have no opinion on this topic, I'm here to learn.)

Old 08-05-2006, 09:20 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,637,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed
Me neither! I can sneak you in the back of my moving truck if you want! But I'm going upstate, not NYC area. You're moving to Arizona right? OUCH! And I thought NC was too hot!
AZ heat is so much better than 110 heat here let me tell ya! Been there several times I can deal with it!! trust me anywhere is better than here!!!! How big is the moving truck, I have some other people I would need to sneak in!!LOL

Old 08-05-2006, 10:13 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,553,654 times
We can always make room. There's a hugh dresser that I don't want to bring anyways' had to move it twice and don't want to again. lol

Old 08-05-2006, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed
We can always make room. There's a hugh dresser that I don't want to bring anyways' had to move it twice and don't want to again. lol
your funny!!!LOL hey I need a dresser!!

Old 08-05-2006, 04:05 PM

1,043 posts, read 3,712,130 times
Default Need some honest answers please...

Not trying to start trouble or anything, but I've been reading this post from the begining and I'm hoping someone who is living in NC now can answer me on these questions:
1) How bad is the smoking issue there?
It's very important to me as I have lung problems and have suffered several times from bronchitis which makes it difficult to be in any smoking areas.
2) How bad or how many different taxes are there in NC?
I know about the three different taxes just for owning a car, and possibly two for owning a home, but is there anything else?
3) How strong is religion pushed there? Is it in your face, or only in certain communities?

Thanks!

Old 08-05-2006, 04:11 PM

483 posts, read 1,564,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1m1700
I lived in Ny for 26 years we had to take numbers in the cold cut section and the bakery. Has anything changed Do you guys take numbers anymore in NY?

Every single day the same thing.
Hey, we couldn't have it any other way. And yes they still do, even Shoprite wants you to take a number. Didn't realize the cold cuts there were that good.

Old 08-05-2006, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITChick
Not trying to start trouble or anything, but I've been reading this post from the begining and I'm hoping someone who is living in NC now can answer me on these questions:
1) How bad is the smoking issue there?
It's very important to me as I have lung problems and have suffered several times from bronchitis which makes it difficult to be in any smoking areas.
2) How bad or how many different taxes are there in NC?
I know about the three different taxes just for owning a car, and possibly two for owning a home, but is there anything else?
3) How strong is religion pushed there? Is it in your face, or only in certain communities?

Thanks!
Hi I live here now but we are getting out, I have chronic bronchitis and it has been really bad here all the humidity is what the Dr. has said.
This state is taxed higher than NY, we cant believe how much it actually costs to live here. State tax high, sales tax high, personal property tax high, we pay 200.00 a year per car ( it is based on value), not to mention the high gas tax!

Religion has been pushed in our face here and we just are not church goers. Every sunday here is like a dance, watching them all leave in my neighborhood, out of 16 houses only 2 of us dont go. I am sure it isnt like that with all neighborhoods, but the two we have lived in it has been that way.

Old 08-05-2006, 04:17 PM

1,330 posts, read 5,083,936 times
There is no way on earth I am going to read all 12 pages of this raging debate so forgive me if I am repeating what someone else has already said!

If you are in NY and you want cheaper cost of living while enjoying some form of "NY-like" culture, why not check out Western MA, NorthEastern PA, or...upstate NY - Syracuse area, Utica and the like??

You can have the cheap cost of living and not have to move 600 miles south people!! NY is pretty tame housing wise once you get north of the Kingston/Saugerties area!

I would move back to Western MA or even Dover DE before I moved to NC... you can KEEP your cheap taxes there because I have a cousin that was stationed at Ft. Bragg and another in VA beach area and I have heard enough to know that it is nowhere near as nice quality of living that even the poorest areas of NY have to offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York